Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Question about landing for the experts

Question about landing for the experts

Old Apr 23rd 2008, 10:52 am
Forum Regular

raistlin will become famous soon enough
Default Question about landing for the experts

Hi,

I have a Permanent Residency Visa - already in passport with accompanying papers - expires 10th Oct 2008 - have not yet landed in Canada.

I am the Principal Applicant, being accompanied by wife and 2 children.

My current employers are UK based, and have given me the opportunity to be seconded to Canada - still employed by them and paid into my UK bank account.

I need to visit Canada on my own first on a few occasions for meetings etc (each visit being less than a week in duration).

I've got the following questions:

Does arriving in Canada on my own first mean that my Visa is "activated"?
Does that affect the "activation of my Wife/children's Visa's?
Or, do we all have to travel to Canada together so that the Visa's are "activated" together?

Just a little bit worried about travelling to Canada on my own first, "activating" my PR Visa, only to find out it will somehow cause problems
with my family's Visa's.

Thanks
Warren
Old Apr 23rd 2008, 3:13 pm
BE Enthusiast

bhalerao is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Question about landing for the experts

Originally Posted by raistlin
Hi,

I have a Permanent Residency Visa - already in passport with accompanying papers - expires 10th Oct 2008 - have not yet landed in Canada.

I am the Principal Applicant, being accompanied by wife and 2 children.

My current employers are UK based, and have given me the opportunity to be seconded to Canada - still employed by them and paid into my UK bank account.

I need to visit Canada on my own first on a few occasions for meetings etc (each visit being less than a week in duration).

I've got the following questions:

Or, do we all have to travel to Canada together so that the Visa's are "activated" together?

Just a little bit worried about travelling to Canada on my own first, "activating" my PR Visa, only to find out it will somehow cause problems
with my family's Visa's.

Thanks
Warren
1. Depends what visa you have to travel to canada. If you are a UK citizen you can enter canada without any visa for short term. Landing as an immigrant is completly different than visiting.

2. No. Your wife is a different entity. She can land anytime after you do (as you the principal applicant). I really doubt "the popular myth", that her landing first will cause any problems as she has the same rights as you have. Your child's landing will depend if he is a minor or adult. In case he is minor then he has to obviously land with one of you folks, whoever is in legal possession of him/her.

3. No. You dont have to travel to-gether to get do your landing. You can land first and then your spouse can land. Again as I mentioned I still have strong feeling that there will be no problem if your wife lands without you.

Andrew/Jim can anyone of you confirm if a spouse lands before the principal applicant will there be any problem? Because according to me there should'nt be any as they both are PRs. I've not seen any law that forbids the above practice.
Old Apr 23rd 2008, 4:56 pm
Now on Vancouver Island

Judy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by raistlin
It's common for people to get their PR status activated when they land in Canada. However, if you do not want to activate your PR status, you can ask the immigration officer at the port of entry not to activate it. I personally think there is merit in getting it activated. You just have to remember that, once you get your PR status activated, you have to be in Canada for a cumulated total of 2 years out of any 5 year period in order to maintain your PR status.

Your activating your PR status does not have the effect of activating your wife's and your children's PR status. As bhalerao said, each person has to land and activate his/her own PR status individually.

No, you don't have to travel together. You can travel together and activate your PR status together if you want. If you travel separately, the principal applicant must arrive first. The dependents may not activate their PR status prior to the principal applicant.

with my family's Visa's.
It's okay. It will not cause a problem.
x
Old Apr 23rd 2008, 5:25 pm
Now on Vancouver Island

Judy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bhalerao
Andrew/Jim can anyone of you confirm if a spouse lands before the principal applicant will there be any problem? Because according to me there should'nt be any as they both are PRs. I've not seen any law that forbids the above practice.
In post #2 of the thread entitled Landing Questions Please ?, Andrew stated:

Dependents must land with or after principal applicant. All must land before PR visa's expiration date.

Like you, I haven't found the law or regulation that states it must be so, but it has been the frequent experience of members of this forum.
x
Old Apr 25th 2008, 8:55 am
Forum Regular

Hi,

Thanks Judy and bhalerao.

Basically what's happening is that we have our PR Visa's (expiry Oct '08) but my firm won a contract in Canada - so I'll actually be seconded with them for 2 years - with the chance to come back if we don't settle.

Prior to the contract starting, I'll be travelling to Canada a few times (through June and July).

With the '2 in 5 rule' I'm hoping to not activate the Visa's until we all move there together (end August time). So the advice there has been really helpful.

Drifting off topic a little -
If we all land as PR residents (but I'm still employed by a UK firm) - do I have to pay Canadian Income Tax (as a PR) or can I choose in which country I want to pay TAX.

Thanks all
Old Apr 25th 2008, 10:43 am
BE Enthusiast

britsnake has a reputation beyond reputebritsnake has a reputation beyond reputebritsnake has a reputation beyond reputebritsnake has a reputation beyond reputebritsnake has a reputation beyond reputebritsnake has a reputation beyond reputebritsnake has a reputation beyond reputebritsnake has a reputation beyond reputebritsnake has a reputation beyond reputebritsnake has a reputation beyond reputebritsnake has a reputation beyond repute

From when I have learned, canadian residents are taxed on their worldwide income. Every year they fill out a tax return. You pay tax based on where you are resident rather than where your company is from.

Once you become resident in Canada, you should pay canadian income tax.
Old Apr 25th 2008, 10:57 am
Forum Regular

Thanks britsnake