Question about common law rules

Old May 4th 2010, 4:19 pm
Just Joined

lisa_247 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Question about common law rules

Hi again! I am just looking at the Skilled WOrker Visa application form, and it asks for me to give details of anyone we have previously had common law relationships with. I did have a joint mortgage with my ex for about 18 months, does this class as a common law relationship? There seem to be various rules on what this means and I was just wondering if anyone knew the actual rules in relation to this application form.

Thank you

Lisa
Old May 4th 2010, 4:28 pm

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Question about common law rules

Originally Posted by lisa_247
Hi again! I am just looking at the Skilled WOrker Visa application form, and it asks for me to give details of anyone we have previously had common law relationships with. I did have a joint mortgage with my ex for about 18 months, does this class as a common law relationship? There seem to be various rules on what this means and I was just wondering if anyone knew the actual rules in relation to this application form.

Thank you

Lisa
If they were your 'ex' and you lived together for more than 12 months I'd say this is classed as common law, especially as you had a mortgage together. Look at the qualifications there are for claiming common law, the same should apply to a past relationship.
Old May 4th 2010, 4:35 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lisa_247

Thank you

Lisa
Aviator is right, a 'common law spouse' in the eyes of CIC is anybody you've lived with for a year or more. So assuming that you and your ex lived together during the time you had a mortgage, you'll have to declare him on your application.

Old May 4th 2010, 5:37 pm
BE Enthusiast

snowboardboy has a spectacular aura aboutsnowboardboy has a spectacular aura aboutsnowboardboy has a spectacular aura about

Yup joint mortgage will do it. Anything in both names while living together for more than a year constitutes a common law arrangement. If however everything was in 1 name and the other person paid half this could be viewed as a lodger ....
Old May 4th 2010, 6:17 pm
Just Joined

lisa_247 is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for your replies! Why do they need to know about previous partners? Im a bit worried that the fact my ex has a criminal record might hinder our chances of getting into Canada, we split up over 5 years ago and haven't spoken to him since so I dont really see how it could hinder our application, but I am concerned about their reasons for asking about previous partners

Cheers

Lisa
Old May 4th 2010, 6:30 pm

Jim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond repute

They want to know that the relationship is ended and there is no prospect that you might decide to sponsor him for PR later. It is an old game that people have played too often to be ignored. You should be open and honest.