Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

question about common law and processing time?

question about common law and processing time?

Old Jan 17th 2002, 6:15 am
Yue Chen

I send my application for independent immigration last Nov. However, since the new
regulation is retroactive, I might not be able to pass. My girl friend is a Canadian
citizen. We have been together for 3 years and lived together for more than one year.
The problem is: when we were living together, her name was never in the lease
contract. Therefore, we can't provide anything on paper to proof we've lived
together. We are still couple. But because of the job relocation, we are living in
the different city now. In my case, can I apply immigration under common law?

Another question is: I received AOR from the visa post in Buffalo. It states that
they will assess my application within 30 weeks. Of course, I know it is just a
estimation. I've heard people got their landing paper in very short of time. I'm just
wondering: in those people case, what did their AOR say about how long they need to
wait for assessment?

Thanks!

Old Jan 17th 2002, 6:35 am
James

In my case, the AOR said that the assessment will be done within next 20 weeks.
But actually, 2 months after that, I received the interview waiver. That was in
last March.

Good luck!

James

Old Jan 17th 2002, 7:50 am
Kinga

I send my application also to Buffalo last November. I got my file number after 6
weeks. They said it's going to take 30 weeks from now to the interview. Me and my
husband apply in category independent immigrants. We have no family in Canada, only
friends. Our friends applied 4 years ago and they waited only 6 months for their
interview. So it looks good!

Good luck to you and see you in Canada

Kinga from USA

Old Jan 17th 2002, 7:58 am
Andrew Miller

Kinga, just a correction here - it won't take 30 weeks to the interview. Please read
the AOR letter carefully - it says that it will take 30 weeks for the assessment
notice or next communication from visa post, it doesn't say that you will have the
interview in about 30 weeks. The fact is that in about 30 weeks you will be notified
if interview waiver has been granted or if the interview is required. If interview is
required then the letter will also say to which consulate your file will be forwarded
for the interview scheduling. Interview may be scheduled anywhere between 3 and 9+
months from that notice.

Also 4 years ago it was quite normal to have interview within 6 months, unfortunately
it is not the case anymore.

--

../..

Andrew Miller Immigration Consultant Vancouver, British Columbia email:
[email protected] (delete REMOVE and INVALID from the above address before
sending email)

>
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >

Old Jan 17th 2002, 11:33 am
Kinga

Andrew Miller!

Thank you. You are right. I just hope it's not going to take that long....

Kinga