Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Question about Canadian Refugee Program

Question about Canadian Refugee Program

Old Jan 10th 2008, 5:30 am
Just Joined

gavinni is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Question about Canadian Refugee Program

Hi all,

I have a friend from Honduras that is currently living in USA illegally (arrived with a US tourist visa). His girlfriend is also living here illegally. She is from Mexico and did not enter through a US point of entry.

Either way, he has heard from his uncle in Vancouver that he should be able to move to Canada and qualify for permanent residency just as his uncle did. Unfortuntaley I do not know all the details about it but I have heard something about him being told to apply for a refugee program once he arrives to Canada.

So far, these are his plans:

1. marry his mexican girlfriend before leaving the US.
2. Enter illegaly to Canada.
3. Apply as refugee or whatever else he can qualify for to become legal. He says he's heard they may take his english skills and his uncle relationship into account.
4. Once legal, petition his to be wife; he doesnt know if she will have to go back to mexico before the petition is filed or not.

I am very skeptical about his plans as I am not aware of Canadian immigration law taking in people just like that.

If anyone knows anything that could help my friend double proof his plan it will be most appreciated

gavinni
Old Jan 10th 2008, 5:51 am
PMM
Lost in BE Cyberspace

PMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Question about Canadian Refugee Program

Hi

Originally Posted by gavinni
Hi all,

I have a friend from Honduras that is currently living in USA illegally (arrived with a US tourist visa). His girlfriend is also living here illegally. She is from Mexico and did not enter through a US point of entry.

Either way, he has heard from his uncle in Vancouver that he should be able to move to Canada and qualify for permanent residency just as his uncle did. Unfortuntaley I do not know all the details about it but I have heard something about him being told to apply for a refugee program once he arrives to Canada.

So far, these are his plans:

1. marry his mexican girlfriend before leaving the US.
2. Enter illegaly to Canada.
3. Apply as refugee or whatever else he can qualify for to become legal. He says he's heard they may take his english skills and his uncle relationship into account.
4. Once legal, petition his to be wife; he doesnt know if she will have to go back to mexico before the petition is filed or not.

I am very skeptical about his plans as I am not aware of Canadian immigration law taking in people just like that.

If anyone knows anything that could help my friend double proof his plan it will be most appreciated

gavinni
1. He would be turfed back to US on safe third country.

PMM
Old Jan 10th 2008, 8:39 am
Banned

Surrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Question about Canadian Refugee Program

Refugee status applies to people escaping persecution in their home country.