British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Immigration & Citizenship (Canada) (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-citizenship-canada-33/)
-   -   Question on 2 Permanent Resident Visas and Qebec Immigrant's Mobility Rights (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-citizenship-canada-33/question-2-permanent-resident-visas-qebec-immigrants-mobility-rights-672932/)

comment_vous_allez Jun 18th 2010 6:40 am

Question on 2 Permanent Resident Visas and Qebec Immigrant's Mobility Rights

If you already have a permanent resident visa via Quebec Skilled Workers Category, is it still possible to apply for federal skilled class so you won't be restricted to the Province of Quebec? What happens if you already got PR via Quebec Skilled Workers Category then you apply for federal skilled class? Will the first PR Visa be canceled or you get both PR visas?

In Canada's Constitution Charter of Rights and Freedom(which is also indicated in the Canada-Quebec Accord), it is indicated that Canadian Citizens and permanent residents have mobility rights. What's the scope of the mobility rights of Canada permanent residents who got their permanent residence through Quebec Skilled Workers Category?

your insights are highly appreciated...

JAJ Jun 20th 2010 1:37 am

Re: Question on 2 Permanent Resident Visas and Qebec Immigrant's Mobility Rights

Why on earth did you apply for Quebec without planning to move to the Province?

comment_vous_allez Jun 20th 2010 2:13 am

Re: Question on 2 Permanent Resident Visas and Qebec Immigrant's Mobility Rights

Originally Posted by JAJ (Post 8643798)
Why on earth did you apply for Quebec without planning to move to the Province?

people have reasons.... it's common sense. ;)

besides i did not say i have no plan of moving to the province.

i need answers not sarcasms....

crazy72 Jun 20th 2010 4:35 am

Originally Posted by comment_vous_allez (Post 8643832)
people have reasons.... it's common sense. ;)

besides i did not say i have no plan of moving to the province.

i need answers not sarcasms....

No, it's not "common sense" at all, instead it is both - trying to jump the federal queue and taking away CSQ from those who really want to live in Quebec. Not nice...

To answer your question - you didn't get PR from Quebec, you got it from Canada as only federal government can issue visas. All you got from Quebec is their selection certificate allowing you to circumvent federal eligibility and selection criteria.

So, you just can't get another PR as you are already a permanent resident.

Quebec fulfilled their end of the agreement you made with them, they granted you the CSQ. On that basis you received a PR visa from federal government and become a permanent resident (providing you already landed). Now it is your turn to fulfill your end of the bargain you've made with Quebec - to settle there and contribute to their economy.

And it is not a sarcasm... you simply won't find friends here as we all either went or still going through the process without trying to cut the queue.

Of course Canadian Charter of Rights guarantees you the freedom of mobility, you can move to any Province you want. But Quebec (or any other nominating Province) has the right to revoke the nomination or selection certificate if the nominee doesn't settle in nominating Province and at least make a serious effort to live and succeed there. Once certificate is revoked your PR is gone, so the freedom of mobility rights...

comment_vous_allez Jun 20th 2010 4:49 am

Originally Posted by crazy72 (Post 8643918)

Of course Canadian Charter of Rights guarantees you the freedom of mobility, you can move to any Province you want. But Quebec (or any other nominating Province) has the right to revoke the nomination or selection certificate if the nominee doesn't settle in nominating Province and at least make a serious effort to live and succeed there. Once certificate is revoked your PR is gone, so the freedom of mobility rights...

when one becomes a citizen after 3 years, do you think one can already move out of quebec without any worries? what's basically the residency requirements for quebec selected workers?

ibbye13 Jun 20th 2010 5:23 am

Originally Posted by comment_vous_allez (Post 8643929)
when one becomes a citizen after 3 years, do you think one can already move out of quebec without any worries? what's basically the residency requirements for quebec selected workers?

Hi

I wish i could be in Quebec but the missus cant speak French at all.

ibbye13 Jun 20th 2010 5:33 am

Originally Posted by ibbye13 (Post 8643949)
Hi

I wish i could be in Quebec but the missus cant speak French at all.

Good luck to you and dont let some of the comments here affect you.
I believe that you wanted to go to Quebec initially and it is possible things or circumstances had changed over the period of time when you applied for PR and now that you got PR.
At the end of the day, you will decide if you will stay in Quebec or move away from Quebec. I am sure that there are some conditions attached to Quebec FSW but I dont know the right answer for you. I am sure there are some people here who know more.

crazy72 Jun 20th 2010 10:49 am

Originally Posted by comment_vous_allez (Post 8643929)

The key phrase will always be - "settling in the nominating Province and making serious effort to remain and succeed there". With Quebec there is no simple definition, not a formula, nothing at all what would tell you exactly what "serious effort" means. I think that one can move out of Quebec after really living and working there for about 6 months to a year or so. After such period of time nobody can tell you that you didn't make an effort.

All of that may change once Quebec changes their CSQ rules - they may at some time decide to define the minimum period required to remain in the Province. But as of now the current rules apply.

What it can be if they decide to do it? Likely about 2 years if they will follow some other Provinces where such residency requirement is already implemented (in some programs even with financial deposit as security).

crazy72 Jun 20th 2010 10:53 am

Originally Posted by ibbye13 (Post 8643959)
I believe that you wanted to go to Quebec initially and it is possible things or circumstances had changed over the period of time when you applied for PR and now that you got PR.

If circumstances change between application time and the day PR visa is issued (or time of landing) and person no longer has intention to settle in Quebec then person should return the visa and start all over. All CSQ holders are at the time of landing asked about their intentions to settle in Quebec and have to sign proper declaration. Fraudulent landing may also lead to loss of status.