Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Query regarding UK resident staying in Canada

Query regarding UK resident staying in Canada

Old Aug 21st 2013, 7:42 am
Forum Regular

paolob99 has a reputation beyond reputepaolob99 has a reputation beyond reputepaolob99 has a reputation beyond reputepaolob99 has a reputation beyond reputepaolob99 has a reputation beyond reputepaolob99 has a reputation beyond reputepaolob99 has a reputation beyond reputepaolob99 has a reputation beyond reputepaolob99 has a reputation beyond reputepaolob99 has a reputation beyond reputepaolob99 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Query regarding UK resident staying in Canada

Hi folks, I have a rambling post, which hopefully some of you may be able to decypher and give me some advice/tips, even if the advice is 'go home'.

I have been to Canada 5 times previously, and love most aspects of the place. I decided to come out for 6 months in April to really live here, allowing me to make an informed decision as to whether to start the process of emmigrating from the UK to Canada.

I am in Nanaimo, BC and I love it. A great summer, lots of new friends, and without being soppy, a new gf and we are both pretty serious about each other and are looking at whether she comes back to the UK with me whilst I sort everything out to come back to Canada with the correct visa.

I am here on a tourist visa with my dog (as I am a genuine tourist, have been travelling all over including the States).

A grey area is my work. I work on the internet. I use a UK bank account and pay UK taxes. I do not deal with anything tangible, and I get paid via credit/debit card or paypal. In theory, I can work from anywhere with an internet connection. I work from my laptop, and I work for myself, so even when I am on a regular holiday, I am always checking and doing bits of work.

I am due to return home to the UK in October this year. Needless to say, I don't want to go as I am having a great time, and more importantly, I don't want to be away from my girl.

I want to play by the rules 100% as I do not want to do anything remotely illegal, dodgy such as becoming an illegal, or overstaying my visa. It is important for me to respect Canada and it's rules so that I have a fighting chance of being able to move here.

I have been to the immigration office in Nanaimo, who have suggested extending my 6 month tourist visa. Does anyone know how much time is generally granted for an extension, or what the maximum extension granted is?

My girl has talked about marriage (not for any VISA reason, as we both come from good, modern countries and in reality, it doesn't matter where we live initially including the UK). Would being married to a Canadian affect my status as a British visitor? (This may look odd, I am pains to point out I am not asking about any marriage scam, I have been with this girl for 4 months, and we spend every day together a bit like lovesick teenagers!).

I am here with my dog and computers, so I am looking for a way to stay put and not have to travel all the way back to the UK with all the grief that it entails.

Is there a visa that I can apply for whilst staying put in Canada?

I would be prepared to use a Canadian Bank and pay Canadian taxes immediately.

Is there a way I can prolong my stay in Canada whilst me and my girl work out our options and what is or isn't available to us?

Neither of us are wealthy, but we are both self sufficient.

Basically, I love Canada, I love my girl and I want to stay here legally, otherwise it is the UK for me. I can head across to the States, but only for 90 days. I don't believe I can simply head back to Canada and get issued with another 6 month tourist visa.

Sorry about the rambling drivel, but I would be really grateful for any advices.

Thanks
Old Aug 21st 2013, 12:11 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Query regarding UK resident staying in Canada

You should read this link regarding extending your stay and apply to CIC either online or via mail. Cost of extension is $75.
Basically you have to satisfy CIC why you need to stay and provide them with details on how you will support yourself as you cannot work in Canada.
You dont qualify for common law until you have cohabitated for 12 months.
Impossible to say if CIC will extend or not. Providing you apply before your current status expires you will be on Implied Status until a decision is made.
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/visit/extend-stay.asp
Old Aug 23rd 2013, 11:01 am
Forum Regular

paolob99 has a reputation beyond reputepaolob99 has a reputation beyond reputepaolob99 has a reputation beyond reputepaolob99 has a reputation beyond reputepaolob99 has a reputation beyond reputepaolob99 has a reputation beyond reputepaolob99 has a reputation beyond reputepaolob99 has a reputation beyond reputepaolob99 has a reputation beyond reputepaolob99 has a reputation beyond reputepaolob99 has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you for the advice. It is very much appreciated.

I am completing the VISA extension form this weekend, with a view to posting next Tuesday.

Our plans are to rent a nice house in Lake Cowichan, where will be living together from next month.

Is there a limit to the length of the VISA extension? or to how many times it can be extended?

I am able to support myself, as I work on the internet, all non tangible, so just work from my laptop.

In theory, would I be able to stay and live with my girlfriend using my tourist VISA extension?

I am going to Lake Cowichan on Saturday to look at houses. Our aim would be to rent for 6 months or so, and then buy.
Old Aug 23rd 2013, 11:42 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

There's no limit as to how many times you can extend your visitor status, so theoretically you could stay for the year required so that your gf can sponsor you as her common-law spouse.

But obviously you could be refused an extension at any time, or not given the full six months (it's only up to six months, not always that), so don't rent anything that she wouldn't want to live in on her own and I certainly wouldn't buy anything until you've got PR.

Re: your work, what do you do? It's fine as long as you're not competing with the Canadian market, but if you are then you can't work on a visitor visa. What age are you? Maybe an IEC would give you a bit more security (and enable you to work without any restrictions) if you're 30 or under?

HTH a bit, good luck.
Old Aug 24th 2013, 10:56 am
BE user by choice

Location: A Briton, married to a Canadian, now in Fredericton.
MillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond repute

I hope that helps a bit too...yours is a really great post, and I do hope that everything works out for you. Very best of luck, and please keep us informed.
Old Aug 27th 2013, 7:41 am
Forum Regular

Hi, thanks do much for the responses, it really does help when you feel like a fish out of water, and although the information is freely available, understanding it, doing things in the right way and the right order can be confusing.

I am just about to apply to extend my visa. I wonder if there are any do's and don'ts (apart from tell the truth/be honest, which I will be).

I am just turned 40 and I work with a couple of internet sites, based in the UK, and I get paid from the UK (I work for myself). I work from home, and definitely don't take work from anyone else.

My gf and I are moving forward pretty quickly, and she says she is prepared to live in the UK if needs must, but only for a year or two, and would need some time here in Canada to tie up loose ends.

I am not sure what spousal sponsorship entails, or what would need to be done. I would love to get to a stage where I could work in Canada.

I guess I will be checking back and reporting back here almost daily!

Thanks once again for the help and encouragement, as it does make a difference.
Old Aug 27th 2013, 12:50 pm
Concierge

SchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by paolob99
Hi, thanks do much for the responses, it really does help when you feel like a fish out of water, and although the information is freely available, understanding it, doing things in the right way and the right order can be confusing.

I am just about to apply to extend my visa. I wonder if there are any do's and don'ts (apart from tell the truth/be honest, which I will be).

I am just turned 40 and I work with a couple of internet sites, based in the UK, and I get paid from the UK (I work for myself). I work from home, and definitely don't take work from anyone else.

My gf and I are moving forward pretty quickly, and she says she is prepared to live in the UK if needs must, but only for a year or two, and would need some time here in Canada to tie up loose ends.

I am not sure what spousal sponsorship entails, or what would need to be done. I would love to get to a stage where I could work in Canada.

I guess I will be checking back and reporting back here almost daily!

Thanks once again for the help and encouragement, as it does make a difference.
Have a read on the Wiki about sponsorship under the family class (family class covers both spousal and common-law, the applications are about 98% identical). That should give you an idea of what would be required to go via the sponsorship route. The main thing to consider for now is that if you are living together to get things in both your names - lease, utilities, bank accounts, etc, as well as "normal" evidence of your relationship like pictures and joint purchases and such. If you apply as married it's more straight forward; if you apply as common-law, CIC will want to see that you are in a "marriage-like" relationship - combined financial affairs, joint household living arrangements, that sort of thing.

If you get married you can apply as soon as you have done so; you can only apply as common-law after you have been living together continuously for 12 months. (You can live together for, say, 7 months in Canada and then 5 months in the UK, that would be fine, but make sure you move together and don't cease living together, even for a week.)

Once the paperwork for sponsorship in either category is filed, the whole application takes 7-8 months. At the end of it you will be a Canadian Permanent Resident, which gives you full right to live and work in Canada.

Have a read more on the Wiki about it, and let us know if you have any questions.
Old Sep 1st 2013, 7:16 am
Forum Regular

Things are still moving very quickly, it's difficult to take in, but fun all the same.

If we get married in the near future, what steps do I need to take in order to apply to stay in Canada, and also to work?

Do I apply for a work visa and a residency visa?

Would I be able to stay in Canada whilst my application is lodged?

I am going to have a good hunt through the info on this site.

The clock is ticking, I am getting nervous.
Old Sep 1st 2013, 9:03 am
Concierge

SchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by paolob99
Things are still moving very quickly, it's difficult to take in, but fun all the same.

If we get married in the near future, what steps do I need to take in order to apply to stay in Canada, and also to work?

Do I apply for a work visa and a residency visa?

Would I be able to stay in Canada whilst my application is lodged?

I am going to have a good hunt through the info on this site.

The clock is ticking, I am getting nervous.
Read the wiki linked at the top on family class sponsorship, that will give you the basics, and explains the different ways to apply and the proof and cons of each. Once you've had a read let us know if you have more specific questions.
Old Sep 2nd 2013, 12:00 am
Forum Regular

The wiki article is very interesting and helpful.

I have a quick query regarding my extension request for an extended tourist visa.

There is an option for a 'letter of explanation' where you can qualify and clarify the reasons why you wish to stay.

I work for myself, and work on the internet, where my income comes from people advertising on my websites. I work on this most days, from home, and wherever I was in the world, vacationing or otherwise, I would do this. I only work a couple of hours each day.

I want to be clear about how I am supporting myself, and technically, I am working, although my bank, work and pay is all UK based and nothing to do with Canada, although clearly I am in Canada.

I am not sure what to write on my letter of explanation. Should I also record that the reason I wish to extend my stay is that I have met a lady and that we want to stay together until the point she decides what she is doing (her going to UK or me staying in Canada, either option suits me fine but would choose Canada given the option)

Is there anything to be sure to include, or avoid on the Letter of Explanation when applying for the tourist visa extension?

I have added this as a question on the forum.

Tired and grumpy today as I stayed up all night, and slept a few hoursthis afternoon.