British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Immigration & Citizenship (Canada) (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-citizenship-canada-33/)
-   -   Query re consultant and moving a business to Canada (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-citizenship-canada-33/query-re-consultant-moving-business-canada-937309/)

sushilover Feb 24th 2021 5:00 pm

Query re consultant and moving a business to Canada

Hello everyone,

Could anyone recommend a consultant who deals specifically with moving a business over to Canada (asking on behalf of my husband).

And also what would the costs be approximately? I've been quoted in the region of 28K (GBP) and just wanted to be sure if this is a fair price.

Best

christmasoompa Feb 24th 2021 5:03 pm

Re: Query re consultant and moving a business to Canada

Originally Posted by sushilover (Post 12977067)
Hello everyone,

Could anyone recommend a consultant who deals specifically with moving a business over to Canada (asking on behalf of my husband).

And also what would the costs be approximately? I've been quoted in the region of 28K (GBP) and just wanted to be sure if this is a fair price.

Best

Can you clarify what kind of consultant you mean, and what you mean by 'moving a business over to Canada'? Do you just mean opening up a Canadian branch? Or selling a business to a Canadian? Or something else?

sushilover Feb 24th 2021 5:05 pm

The former! We have been talking to Bezalot who have great reviews but just wanted to call upon the knowledge here before taking the plunge.

christmasoompa Feb 24th 2021 5:06 pm

Originally Posted by sushilover (Post 12977071)
The former! We have been talking to Bezalot who have great reviews but just wanted to call upon the knowledge here before taking the plunge.

Not sure who Bezalot are, I only know Brazolot (who certainly do NOT have great reviews - exactly the opposite!).

Are you asking about an immigration consultant then? If so, £28k is absolutely ludicrous.

sushilover Feb 24th 2021 5:08 pm

Christmas, its Brazolot I'm talking about - but I had a few people on a FB group recommending them, argh! And yes, an immigration consultant.

christmasoompa Feb 24th 2021 5:11 pm

Originally Posted by sushilover (Post 12977073)
Christmas, its Brazolot I'm talking about - but I had a few people on a FB group recommending them, argh! And yes, an immigration consultant.

Oh blimey. The people recommending them probably work for them, just search this forum or Google for more info. I

Now the penny has dropped, I remember who you are. So were Brazolot advising you before, when you went down the study permit route, did they not mention the self-employed route? What happened to that, did your husband think he was eligible? If so, just do it yourself, it's not complex (or use a reputable consultant!).

You don't need an immi consultant to open up a new business in Canada, so what's the £28k for?

sushilover Feb 24th 2021 5:16 pm

We were going it alone before. I was going to go down the study route, yes, on a fast track diploma course. But I've found out this doesnt entitle me to a 3-4 year work visa, as the course only goes on for less than a year. So I started thinking about the SE/taking the company over route. The deadline to pay the college fees was imminent and so we decided to speak to someone. I guess the fee is for them to do all the work, and its more complex with SE/setting up a company route, for e.g. business plans and so on.

christmasoompa Feb 24th 2021 5:24 pm

Originally Posted by sushilover (Post 12977079)
I guess the fee is for them to do all the work, and its more complex with SE/setting up a company route, for e.g. business plans and so on.

But you don't need to set up a company or have business plans for the SE route? So that's a crazy amount of money for a visa app.

Have a look at the Self Employed program requirements yourself on the CIC website, and the document checklist etc so you can see what you'd need to include with your application (https://www.canada.ca/content/dam/ir...s/imm5784e.pdf). It's really not as onerous as Brazolot are making out!

Siouxie Feb 24th 2021 5:30 pm

Originally Posted by sushilover (Post 12977071)

OOH no, not them again.. :(

Please avoid using them - I hope you haven't already paid them.. walk away!!

I concur with everything Christmasoompa has said.. the process is not hard to do yourself.. no business needed in Canada, just an intention to start one once you become permanent residents - and show that he has been self employed for 2 years sometime during the last 5 years (in the relevant industry, which you have already mentioned he has)!
Do read these :)
Overview of process: https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration...d-persons.html

Guide for filling out the forms! : https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration...-employed.html

Any questions, just shout!! :D

thedorkfromyork Feb 24th 2021 5:40 pm

Hi Guys - are there any alternatives to Brazolot?

christmasoompa Feb 24th 2021 5:43 pm

Originally Posted by thedorkfromyork (Post 12977092)
Hi Guys - are there any alternatives to Brazolot?

Lots, you can find licensed consultants here - https://iccrc-crcic.ca/

Then just check for reviews on them to see who’s reputable/recommended.

But unless you’ve got complicated circumstances (criminal record, medical issues etc), then there’s no need to use a consultant at all, particularly now you’ve found BE! Most people just do their own apps and save the money.

HTH.

sushilover Feb 24th 2021 5:52 pm

Well, we are going to go through on the taking the company over route (I think). My husbands business partner is the dork from York here so we are going to look into other avenues. Thank you.

we would rather pay someone to help us, just because there is so much other things going on outside the business.

christmasoompa Feb 24th 2021 5:55 pm

Originally Posted by sushilover (Post 12977097)
Well, we are going to go through on the taking the company over route (I think). My husbands business partner is the dork from York here so we are going to look into other avenues. Thank you.

we would rather pay someone to help us, just because there is so much other things going on outside the business.

Fair enough. Not sure what you mean by ‘the taking the company over route’ (that could mean several visa routes) but no immi consultant should charge you anywhere near £28k for a visa app. If you do need a business plan etc, then best to pay a professional separately for that, not an immi consultant.

Siouxie Feb 24th 2021 6:14 pm

Originally Posted by sushilover (Post 12977097)

Going through the Self Employed route you are not taking the company over to Canada, nor do you need to 'open' a company in before you go to Canada to qualify! You only have to intend to start a business once you are a Permanent Resident - the forms ask you what you might want to do, and where.. :)

Why would you pay someone else thousands and thousands of pounds to fill out paperwork from information that YOU have to give them?? You are the ones who will need to give the information of your personal history (both work and where you have lived, travelled etc., for 10+ years). You will have your education assessed, get your police checks, provide copies of letters/annual accounts from your accountant / book-keeper, show your company name, net worth etc., get your medicals done, biometrics etc... do you really want to pay someone else thousands of dollars to fill out a few forms??

FAR better to do it yourself and then get a reputable company to check your forms for you, at a cost of a few hundred, if you don't feel confident. :)