Query about landing via USA

Old Sep 5th 2005, 2:42 pm
BE Forum Addict

cov-canuck is a splendid one to beholdcov-canuck is a splendid one to beholdcov-canuck is a splendid one to beholdcov-canuck is a splendid one to beholdcov-canuck is a splendid one to beholdcov-canuck is a splendid one to beholdcov-canuck is a splendid one to beholdcov-canuck is a splendid one to beholdcov-canuck is a splendid one to beholdcov-canuck is a splendid one to beholdcov-canuck is a splendid one to behold
Default Query about landing via USA

I'm sure this has been covered recently, but I can't find the post relating to it.

We're in the position where my husband is likely to get approved for PR shortly after Christmas. We'll then want to land ASAP to "stop the clock", and start the application process for jobs. Canadian Affair no longer flies anywhere (it seems) between November and April, so we've been looking at other airlines from either Birmingham or Manchester, and a lot of the flights seem to land in the US, then you change flights and proceed to the Great White North. Is this allowed if you are landing, since you'd have to go through immigration etc. at your port of entry (i.e. USA)? Or would it be safer to travel down to a London airport where we can get a direct flight to Canada?
Old Sep 5th 2005, 4:00 pm
PMM
Lost in BE Cyberspace

PMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Query about landing via USA

Hi

Originally Posted by cov-canuck
I'm sure this has been covered recently, but I can't find the post relating to it.

We're in the position where my husband is likely to get approved for PR shortly after Christmas. We'll then want to land ASAP to "stop the clock", and start the application process for jobs. Canadian Affair no longer flies anywhere (it seems) between November and April, so we've been looking at other airlines from either Birmingham or Manchester, and a lot of the flights seem to land in the US, then you change flights and proceed to the Great White North. Is this allowed if you are landing, since you'd have to go through immigration etc. at your port of entry (i.e. USA)? Or would it be safer to travel down to a London airport where we can get a direct flight to Canada?
You can do it either way, but there was a discussion earlier about transiting the US on the visa waiver program using a one-way ticket. Some had problems boarding the plane, others didn't

PMM
Old Sep 5th 2005, 6:20 pm
BE Forum Addict

cov-canuck is a splendid one to beholdcov-canuck is a splendid one to beholdcov-canuck is a splendid one to beholdcov-canuck is a splendid one to beholdcov-canuck is a splendid one to beholdcov-canuck is a splendid one to beholdcov-canuck is a splendid one to beholdcov-canuck is a splendid one to beholdcov-canuck is a splendid one to beholdcov-canuck is a splendid one to beholdcov-canuck is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by PMM
Hi

You can do it either way, but there was a discussion earlier about transiting the US on the visa waiver program using a one-way ticket. Some had problems boarding the plane, others didn't

PMM

Thanks for the response...we're definitely planning to come back after landing, we've still got jobs and a house to sell, so it shouldn't be a problem!
Old Sep 5th 2005, 8:59 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cov-canuck
Thanks for the response...we're definitely planning to come back after landing, we've still got jobs and a house to sell, so it shouldn't be a problem!
I arrived via La Guardia, that went fine as the point of entry was the Toronto airport. I wouldn't try landing via the US using ground transportation as border guards at the land crossings are not well informed and can be capricious. We had to go to Niagara this weekend for my partner to take up a study permit as the previous weekend the border guard didn't know that a permit could be approved ahead of arrival; she wanted the application form and source documents which we didn't have as they'd been sent to the immigration people. The staff at a major airport are likely to have dealt with immigrants before and will probably know what to do.