Wikiposts

quantity of information

Old May 18th 2017, 4:41 am
Just Joined

mr2face is an unknown quantity at this point
Default quantity of information

i'm a self employed/business owner trying to put together the proof of work history as prescribed.

this may be a dumb question but how much data do i have to provide? over the last 10 years there are like 100s of invoices, tens of bank statements, numerous contracts and proofs of payments, numerous clients.

i was thinking 2-3 client refs, some random proofs of payments (outside of those referring clients), a few random contracts, couple of bank statements (spread over a period of time, say for may 2014, july 2016, etc.).

is that OK or do i have to put everything in?
Old May 18th 2017, 4:56 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: quantity of information

Hi, welcome to BE.

Can you clarify which visa route you're applying under, and what stage you're at? The answer will be different (for example) if you are applying under the Self Employer route, versus FSW.
Old May 18th 2017, 5:01 am
Just Joined

applying under FSW.
Old May 18th 2017, 5:17 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mr2face
applying under FSW.
OK, so provide all that you've mentioned (no need for every invoice etc, just a selection as you say, to span all the dates of the NOC code), make sure you've got an accountants letter/reference and also reference letters (from clients) to prove you've done the duties listed under the NOC code you're claiming.

HTH.
Old May 18th 2017, 5:19 am
Just Joined

i do already have that but can an accountant really say anything about my duties? he is not really privy to what happens in the business.
Old May 18th 2017, 5:29 am
SUPER MODERATOR

i do already have that but can an accountant really say anything about my duties? he is not really privy to what happens in the business.
Why not? My accountant knows exactly what my business does - he has to for me to be able to claim half the stuff I do!

But an accountants letter/certificate would be helpful, remember that the more third parties you can get to support your application the better.

Have you actually received an ITA yet and if so, what does your document checklist say?
Old May 18th 2017, 5:30 am
Just Joined

i'm just saying he knows my business but he does not know precisely what i do- for instance, he does not know that i train my employees, hire/conduct interviews and a lot of other operational stuff.

i have already got an ITA but not yet completed my post ITA profile.
Old May 18th 2017, 5:37 am
SUPER MODERATOR

i'm just saying he knows my business but he does not know precisely what i do- for instance, he does not know that i train my employees, hire/conduct interviews and a lot of other operational stuff.
Are those things in the main duties under your NOC code? If so, you need references saying you do them from third parties, whether it's from your accountant or somebody else.

If not, then it doesn't matter that he doesn't know about them, as they're not relevant anyway. You just need confirmation of your duties to show they match the NOC code (both the main duties and the opening paragraph of it), if your accountant can't do that then it will have to be letters from clients or perhaps other business support?

As long as you've got that, and the other things mentioned above, you should be fine. But an accountants letter/certificate will still carry some weight, so it's worth getting anyway, even if it doesn't mention your duties.

Good luck.
Old May 18th 2017, 5:39 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
Are those things in the main duties under your NOC code? If so, you need references saying you do them from third parties, whether it's from your accountant or somebody else.

If not, then it doesn't matter that he doesn't know about them, as they're not relevant anyway. You just need confirmation of your duties to show they match the NOC code (both the main duties and the opening paragraph of it), if your accountant can't do that then it will have to be letters from clients or perhaps other business support?

As long as you've got that, and the other things mentioned above, you should be fine. But an accountants letter/certificate will still carry some weight, so it's worth getting anyway, even if it doesn't mention your duties.

Good luck.
Thanks so much!!!
Old May 18th 2017, 5:41 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Thanks so much!!!
No probs, good luck with it.
Old May 18th 2017, 9:05 pm
BE Enthusiast

Shakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond repute

I'm a self employed contractor, my application is still being processed and so I cannot say if what I have done is correct, but for information this is what I submitted:

I included:
  • A template I wrote for each client I have worked for detailing and duties I performed, the rate of pay, the hours I worked and my 'job' title. I then requested that someone from their HR would sign the letter and put it on letterheaded paper. This is actually what CIC want for employees but I did it as a self employed person to back up by claim. Some clients would do this and some wouldn't, I included the emails from the clients that wouldn't do it.
  • All of my company accounts
  • My SA302s
  • Copies of all of my contracts for each client showing rates of pay, contracted hours and position title
  • Examples of VAT returns, I think I put 2 per year of business
  • Some example invoices, I think I put 2 per client per business year
I think that was about it.

Last edited by Shakyuk; May 18th 2017 at 9:07 pm.
Old May 18th 2017, 9:08 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Shakyuk
I'm a self employed contractor, my application is still being processed and so I cannot say if what I have done is correct, but for information this is what I submitted:

I included:
A template I wrote for each client I have worked for detailing and duties I performed, the rate of pay, the hours I worked and my 'job' title. I then requested that someone from their HR would sign the letter and put it on letterheaded paper. This is actually what CIC want for employees but I did it as a self employed person to back up by claim. Some clients would do this and some wouldn't, I included the emails from the clients that wouldn't do it.
All of my company accounts
My SA302s
Copies of all of my contracts for each client showing rates of pay, contracted hours and position title
Examples of VAT returns, I think I put 2 per year of business
Some example invoices, I think I put 2 per client per business year
I think that was about it.
seems like a lot to put in for just 4MB per file. I think i'll write a covering letter explaining that i'm going to submit a sample of invoices/POs and references letters. If more are required i'll be happy to submit.

if i was to submit every invoice from every client, it would be simply be too much!
Old May 18th 2017, 9:14 pm
BE Enthusiast

Shakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond repute

seems like a lot to put in for just 4MB per file. I think i'll write a covering letter explaining that i'm going to submit a sample of invoices/POs and references letters. If more are required i'll be happy to submit.

if i was to submit every invoice from every client, it would be simply be too much!

As I was a self employed contractor, I listed each contract as a separate employment and so I had multiple 4mb files to use. However I did find this hard when uploading a number of documents. I used pdf compression software and pdf combining software to get everything on but even then I had a limit it. That's why I went for a spread across the board, they have a little bit of everything and can easily request more. I think that is the best course of action. But I'll only know if it truly was the best course when they finish their assessment.

Good luck
Old May 20th 2017, 8:18 pm
Just Joined

SixKittiesSarah is an unknown quantity at this point

IRCC has this bit:

if the applicant is self-employed, articles of incorporation or other evidence of business ownership, evidence of self-employment income and documentation from third-party individuals indicating the service provided along with payment details (self-declared main duties or affidavits are not acceptable proof of self-employed work experience).
Depending on your position I believe declarations from your customers/other companies you deal with will be needed, if not already there. Applications received on or after January 1, 2016, for permanent residence programs subject to the Express Entry completeness check
Old May 21st 2017, 2:09 am

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SixKittiesSarah
IRCC has this bit:

Depending on your position I believe declarations from your customers/other companies you deal with will be needed, if not already there. Applications received on or after January 1, 2016, for permanent residence programs subject to the Express Entry completeness check
Usually a letter from ones accountant confirming self employment is a useful document to included. References from suppliers and bank also help. Customer references are useful in a B2Brelationship, less so in a B2C relationship.