Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Qualifying Examination for immigrating Physicians

Qualifying Examination for immigrating Physicians

Old Jul 12th 2005, 11:23 pm
Forum Regular

Lean is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Qualifying Examination for immigrating Physicians

Dear Experts;
I have a question regarding doctors who are intersted in immigrating to Canada and the qualifying examinations that they must take!!

Do I have to take qualifying examination before I start the immigration process or not??

Thank You
Old Jul 13th 2005, 3:20 am
PMM
Lost in BE Cyberspace

PMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Qualifying Examination for immigrating Physicians

Hi

Originally Posted by Lean
Dear Experts;
I have a question regarding doctors who are intersted in immigrating to Canada and the qualifying examinations that they must take!!

Do I have to take qualifying examination before I start the immigration process or not??

Thank You
No you don't BUT, you should contain the Medical Association in the province where you intend to reside to see what "hoops" that you will have to jump through to practise, for example a years residency, very difficult to get for MDs not trained in Canada. You should know it can be really tough to re-qualify as an MD in Canada, depending on where you trained.

PMM
Old Jul 13th 2005, 4:48 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Biiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond repute

Dear Experts;

Thank You
Not medicine but dentistry - Mr B did the elgibility exam long before he had PR. He even applied to a dental school (and got in) to convert his degree before he had PR. With hindsight this was a crazy thing to do but it all worked out fine. His dental school didn't even ask to see his PR card until last week!
Old Jul 13th 2005, 12:58 pm
Just Joined

p177772005 is on a distinguished road

Dear Experts;

Thank You
I am pretty certain that you don't need to take the qualifying exams if you want to go through the Federal way. But, if you want to come to Canada as a provincial nominee, then you will need to clear the exams otherwise you are not eligible for the program.

I have done MBBS myself and I have did a bit of research on it as well. It's a really long road but I think you get paid after some time. I even applied for the evaluation of my studies in Quebec. Got it within 2 months. It says that they recognize my education as 6 years of University education, nothing more. They charge too much for what it is, I think.
Old Jul 14th 2005, 5:32 am
Forum Regular

Lean is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by p177772005
I am pretty certain that you don't need to take the qualifying exams if you want to go through the Federal way. But, if you want to come to Canada as a provincial nominee, then you will need to clear the exams otherwise you are not eligible for the program.

I have done MBBS myself and I have did a bit of research on it as well. It's a really long road but I think you get paid after some time. I even applied for the evaluation of my studies in Quebec. Got it within 2 months. It says that they recognize my education as 6 years of University education, nothing more. They charge too much for what it is, I think.
I do understand that as a doctor, I can go ahead and apply for immigration uder the federal government and when I get the immigration visa and go to Canada..I then can take the qualifying examinations there, can't I
Thank you
Old Jul 14th 2005, 5:55 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Biiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond repute

I do understand that as a doctor, I can go ahead and apply for immigration uder the federal government and when I get the immigration visa and go to Canada..I then can take the qualifying examinations there, can't I
Thank you
Yes, you can do it when you get here although if it's anything like dentistry it takes most people many years of bettering their score to get anywhere near being offered a place, so maybe you should start that part of the process now!

Bizarrely Canada lets you count an education and work experience from a profession you will not be able to practise, towards your immigrating points.