Qualifications, please help!

Old Jun 28th 2011, 1:31 pm
Just Joined

luce369 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Qualifications, please help!

My husband and I are applying to immigrate to Canada with a Skilled worker application.
I really need some advice regarding qualifications. We aren't sure which one of us to use as the Principal applicant.
My husband qualifies as NOC 7215 which is on the approved list as he is a Carpentry supervisor, however he doesn't have any formal qualifications which is where the confusion lies. He has been a carpenter for 8 years and did an apprenticeship but has no 'Certificate' to prove it!

Our other option is to use me as the Principal applicant, but I'm also unsure how many points my qualification gains me. I have an accounting qualification (AAT) which is NVQ4. It was gained part time over 4 years so I'm hoping this will count as a diploma, but I don't know whether it is 1 or 2 years!?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Lucy
Old Jun 28th 2011, 1:37 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Qualifications, please help!

Hi Lucy,

If your husband is the principal applicant, then he will need proof of his qualification - unless of course, he somehow gets enough points without including his education, but I doubt it somehow! For points, he'll need proof, and if he can't provide that then he won't get the points I'm afraid. If he has no certificate now, can he not get one by going to whoever did his apprenticeship?

Re: you being the principal applicant, your education would count for however long it would have taken you to do the course full-time i.e. if it's normally a one year full-time course but you did it part-time, you'd get the points for a one year diploma etc. What NOC code would you apply under as the principal applicant?

HTH.

Old Jun 28th 2011, 1:51 pm
Just Joined

He would be able to get one from the Carpenter he trained with, although it wouldn't be awarded by a College etc so I wondered how much it would really be worth?
In terms of me, I would apply under 1212 with 4+ years experience & would need to secure a job offer before applying.
I'm just finding it really hard to know which way to go and we don't want to waste money doing it the wrong way!

Lucy
Old Jun 28th 2011, 2:03 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by luce369
He would be able to get one from the Carpenter he trained with, although it wouldn't be awarded by a College etc so I wondered how much it would really be worth?
In terms of me, I would apply under 1212 with 4+ years experience & would need to secure a job offer before applying.
I'm just finding it really hard to know which way to go and we don't want to waste money doing it the wrong way!

Lucy
If you don't currently qualify as a FSW (you say you'd need a job offer, but you'd also need an AEO - which takes 6 months or so - to be eligible), then you'd be best off concentrating on getting your husband's apprenticeship recognised. What would the carpenter he trained with be able to give him in terms of paperwork/proof?
Old Jun 28th 2011, 2:20 pm
Just Joined

It was a small construction company where he did his apprenticeship so it would only be perhaps a letter on headed paper, or a Certificate which the manager could produce for him, probably not good enough I'm assuming.
Old Jun 28th 2011, 2:56 pm

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by luce369
It was a small construction company where he did his apprenticeship so it would only be perhaps a letter on headed paper, or a Certificate which the manager could produce for him, probably not good enough I'm assuming.
An apprenticeship is a formal training program, overseen by a governing body and this is who issues certificates as a recognised qualification, in BC for example it is the ITA, in the uK these guys http://www.apprenticeships.org.uk/.

I doubt a letter from an employer or a certificate made up by them is going to cut it. You may be best to talk to the apprenticeship office in the UK for suggestions.
Old Jun 29th 2011, 6:06 am
Just Joined

LadySummer is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Lucy, just a thought but would it be worth your husband taking an NVQ at the local college - one that will satify the requirements?
Old Jun 29th 2011, 7:57 am
All Sooked up!

james.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond repute

I'd also look into your OH joining some kind of carpenters guild/professional body to see of they can recognise his experience and issue a trade certificate based on that. That, along with any other evidence you can gather such as letters from former employers etc. may well tip the balance. The NVQ idea is a sound one also.
Old Jun 29th 2011, 8:14 am
Just Joined

We have looked into him doing an NVQ, which he could start in September and it would give him an NVQ 3 in Carpentry from a reputable college. But the only problem is that the course is intensive and it takes only 6 weeks, would this be a problem in terms of the '1 year diploma'?
The carpenters guild is a great idea too James, I look into that.