Wikiposts

Qualifications

Old Apr 15th 2008, 9:17 am
Forum Regular

NZGrl is a splendid one to beholdNZGrl is a splendid one to beholdNZGrl is a splendid one to beholdNZGrl is a splendid one to beholdNZGrl is a splendid one to beholdNZGrl is a splendid one to beholdNZGrl is a splendid one to beholdNZGrl is a splendid one to beholdNZGrl is a splendid one to beholdNZGrl is a splendid one to beholdNZGrl is a splendid one to behold
Default Qualifications

Hi there,

My husband has someone who is interested in him working for them however when I have looked at the skilled worker category and also PNP both times you can also score points for a trade diploma or Uni qualification. Is there any way of getting more points for JUST work experience as he has been doing this job for over 20 years but has no formal qualifications.

The other thing is that he is 55 years old so does not score highly on points here either. Any info would be appreciated.

Thanks
Old Apr 15th 2008, 9:41 am
BE Forum Addict

destinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Qualifications

If he gets a job offer he will get points for arranged emploment, that is usually the clincher
Old Apr 15th 2008, 10:23 am
Now on Vancouver Island

Judy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by NZGrl
Hi there,

My husband has someone who is interested in him working for them however when I have looked at the skilled worker category and also PNP both times you can also score points for a trade diploma or Uni qualification. Is there any way of getting more points for JUST work experience as he has been doing this job for over 20 years but has no formal qualifications.

The other thing is that he is 55 years old so does not score highly on points here either. Any info would be appreciated.

Thanks
NZGrl, I think you may be getting different types of applications confused with each other -- temporary work permits (TWPs), permanent residence (PR) visa applications via the skilled worker (SW) route, and PR visa applications via the Provincial Nominee Program (PNP) route.
  • A TWP application does not rely on points, but it does rely on a job offer.

• A PR application via the SW route does rely on points, but it does not rely on a job offer. (With that having been said, a permanent job offer on top of a TWP or an Arranged Employment Opinion does add 10 points, as destinationnovascotia said.)

• There are different kinds of PNP applications. Those that are designed for skilled workers do not rely on points, but they do involve a job offer.

Unless we knew what kind of work your husband did, we wouldn't be able to say whether or not he could get a TWP on the basis of a job offer in his field. In the case of many trades, people have to have served apprenticeships, they have to have X amount of experience under their belts, and they have to pass exams when they get to Canada.

But there are a few trades to which those requirements do not apply. For example, in the case of carpenters in Alberta, all the employer has to do is satisfy himself that the prospective employee is competent in the trade.

One of the reasons that a trade or other kind of qualification is relevant is that, if your husband doesn't have formal qualifications, he may not belong to Skill Level O, A or B on the National Occupational Classification Matrix.

It is only people whose occupations belong to Skill Levels O, A or B who can use a permanent job offer to upgrade a TWP to a PR visa.

Also, it is only people whose occupations belong to Skill Levels O, A or B whose spouses are eligible for spousal open work permits.

Anyway, as I said, until we know what kind of work your husband does, we won't be in a position to advise you.
x

Last edited by Judy in Calgary; Apr 15th 2008 at 10:27 am. Reason: Switched something around to make it clearer.
Old Apr 15th 2008, 10:39 am
Now on Vancouver Island

Judy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond repute

Okay, I've found a thread that says your husband owns a company that sells vacuum pumps that have something to do with the printing industry.

If your husband happens to have experience as a printing press operator, the NOC Code is 7381, and the occupation belongs to Skill Level B on the NOC Matrix.

The other piece of good news is that it happens to be one of those trades for which the qualification requirements are a bit fuzzy, from my reading of the Employment Requirements on the NOC website.
x
Old Apr 15th 2008, 10:49 am
Forum Regular

NZGrl is a splendid one to beholdNZGrl is a splendid one to beholdNZGrl is a splendid one to beholdNZGrl is a splendid one to beholdNZGrl is a splendid one to beholdNZGrl is a splendid one to beholdNZGrl is a splendid one to beholdNZGrl is a splendid one to beholdNZGrl is a splendid one to beholdNZGrl is a splendid one to beholdNZGrl is a splendid one to behold

Hi Judy,
I suppose you would class my husband as a Mechanical Engineer. However he has also worked as a Diesel Mech, and for many years as a Marine Engineer....and for the past 5 years has been repiring and performing preventative maintenance on Vacuum Pumps. Hes does quite a bit of work for some of the most well respected printing and manufacturing companies here in NZ and its one of those companies that has a few factories in Canada. They are always looking for Mechanical Engineers so they say.
Old Apr 15th 2008, 10:57 am
Now on Vancouver Island

Originally Posted by NZGrl
Hi Judy,
I suppose you would class my husband as a Mechanical Engineer. However he has also worked as a Diesel Mech, and for many years as a Marine Engineer....and for the past 5 years has been repiring and performing preventative maintenance on Vacuum Pumps. Hes does quite a bit of work for some of the most well respected printing and manufacturing companies here in NZ and its one of those companies that has a few factories in Canada. They are always looking for Mechanical Engineers so they say.
Ouch, NZGrl, it's going to be tough for him to demonstrate to Canadian authorities that he's an engineer. In Canada the term "engineer" is used for two types of people: (1) degreed engineers and (2) train drivers. People with HNV-type qualifications are called technicians or technologists in Canada. The Wiki article called Equivalency of Qualifications has some information on this.

It looks as if your husband might be able to fudge his way into a diesel mechanic's job (except in Quebec and Alberta, where certification is compulsory). I'm not an expert, but that's my reading of the relevant page of the NOC website.

I don't know if you'd have the capital to enter Canada via one of the business categories. If you have the funds, that might be a solution.

Oh yes, there's also the Nova Scotia Community Identified Stream.
x

Last edited by Judy in Calgary; Apr 15th 2008 at 11:01 am. Reason: Added NS-CIS.
Old Apr 15th 2008, 11:06 am
Forum Regular

Mmmm thanks for that. Maybe we will have to do the same as we did getting into NZ from the UK. I applied as principle applicant as I am 20 years younger than him with a City and Guilds qualification and with a vocational instructor qualification (NOC 4131 I think) Its just a matter of getting a job now!!!