Qualification requirements

Old Sep 21st 2004, 6:52 am
  #1  
Just Joined
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Sep 2004
Posts: 4
markw69 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Qualification requirements

Hi to all

Could somebody please help me as to the value of my qualifications as I am thinking of applying for canadian immgration from the UK. I have a B.T.E.C. National certificate in electrical and electronic engineering which I studied at college for 2 years part time, 12 years experience of aircraft mechanical and electrical work, a City & Guilds certificate in Basic Engineering Practices and a maths and english GCE O Level.
markw69 is offline  
Old Sep 21st 2004, 7:21 am
  #2  
 
Joined: May 2004
Posts: 8,984
Andrew Miller is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Qualification requirements

If your BTEC certificate part time program was at least 1 year long if would have been taken on full time basis then you'll get 12 points for education. If less than 1 full time year then you only have secondary education = only 5 points.

There may be some room to play with your C&G certificate if certain number of years of documented apprenticeship was required to get such certificate though.

Sorry, but your question is short on details, thus it is impossible to give you better answer. Full professional assessment of your case is strongly recomended to find out what your chances and options are.


Originally Posted by markw69
Hi to all

Could somebody please help me as to the value of my qualifications as I am thinking of applying for canadian immgration from the UK. I have a B.T.E.C. National certificate in electrical and electronic engineering which I studied at college for 2 years part time, 12 years experience of aircraft mechanical and electrical work, a City & Guilds certificate in Basic Engineering Practices and a maths and english GCE O Level.
Andrew Miller is offline  
Old Sep 22nd 2004, 5:15 am
  #3  
Just Joined
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Sep 2004
Posts: 4
markw69 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Qualification requirements

Thankyou for your advice Andrew, it was much appreciated.
My BTEC Certificate was taken on a part time basis (71/2 hours day release each weeek for 2 years).
My City and Guilds course was part of my Aircraft Engineering training and was over a period of approximately 6 months full time.
I attended College for 1 year of night school (Part time evening classes - Approx 3 hours per night for a year) to obtain my English GCE O Level Qualification and I studied more recently for a Civil Aviation Licence course which was of 6 weeks duration full time.

Other than further small training courses ranging from 1 day to 2 weeks full time, that is the sum of all courses that I have attended.

I hope that this provides enough information to give me a better idea of my chances and would like to thank Andrew once again for replying to my post.

Regards

Mark Williams

Originally Posted by Andrew Miller
If your BTEC certificate part time program was at least 1 year long if would have been taken on full time basis then you'll get 12 points for education. If less than 1 full time year then you only have secondary education = only 5 points.

There may be some room to play with your C&G certificate if certain number of years of documented apprenticeship was required to get such certificate though.

Sorry, but your question is short on details, thus it is impossible to give you better answer. Full professional assessment of your case is strongly recomended to find out what your chances and options are.
markw69 is offline  
Old Sep 22nd 2004, 5:39 am
  #4  
 
Joined: May 2004
Posts: 8,984
Andrew Miller is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Qualification requirements

Again - without full evaluation of your credentials nothing is sure. But based on info you just provided you have at best 1-year post-secondary diploma, nothing more. Thus 12 points for education only.


Originally Posted by markw69
Thankyou for your advice Andrew, it was much appreciated.
My BTEC Certificate was taken on a part time basis (71/2 hours day release each weeek for 2 years).
My City and Guilds course was part of my Aircraft Engineering training and was over a period of approximately 6 months full time.
I attended College for 1 year of night school (Part time evening classes - Approx 3 hours per night for a year) to obtain my English GCE O Level Qualification and I studied more recently for a Civil Aviation Licence course which was of 6 weeks duration full time.

Other than further small training courses ranging from 1 day to 2 weeks full time, that is the sum of all courses that I have attended.

I hope that this provides enough information to give me a better idea of my chances and would like to thank Andrew once again for replying to my post.

Regards

Mark Williams
Andrew Miller is offline  
Old Sep 25th 2004, 2:43 am
  #5  
Just Joined
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Sep 2004
Posts: 4
markw69 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Qualification requirements

Again - Thanks for your help, it would appear based on what you say that I may not have enough points to qualify for immigration so it seems that I could be destined to stay in the UK.

I should like to have immigrated to Canada but the costs involved and the complexity of the process also are prohibitive. I have all my certificates earned from all my qualifications but these aren't enough.

I could probably get proof of residence at most of my UK addresses and any school which I attended which is still standing may co-operate by giving me signed stamped and letter headed paper documenting my attendance but add to this proof that I speak and write and can understand English and all the other intricacies which one is required to obtain I would say that it may be beyond my limitations and means.
However, Thanks for your particular help Andrew and kind regards.

Originally Posted by Andrew Miller
Again - without full evaluation of your credentials nothing is sure. But based on info you just provided you have at best 1-year post-secondary diploma, nothing more. Thus 12 points for education only.
markw69 is offline  
Old Sep 25th 2004, 4:29 am
  #6  
JAJ
Retired
 
JAJ's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2004
Posts: 34,649
JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Qualification requirements

Originally Posted by markw69
Again - Thanks for your help, it would appear based on what you say that I may not have enough points to qualify for immigration so it seems that I could be destined to stay in the UK.

I should like to have immigrated to Canada but the costs involved and the complexity of the process also are prohibitive. I have all my certificates earned from all my qualifications but these aren't enough.
You are not really clear about what exactly you do, but if you're a tradesman you might have a chance of getting into Australia. It's possible to get accepted as a tradesman there based mainly on experience (although be warned the process is not easy, and you'll probably need professional assistance).

Ask on the Australia immigration forum.

Otherwise some people upgrade their qualifications, although you'd need to accept the risk that you might still not qualify for immigration at the end. However such extra qualifications might come in useful in the UK.

Jeremy
JAJ is offline  
Old Sep 26th 2004, 1:35 am
  #7  
Just Joined
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Sep 2004
Posts: 4
markw69 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Qualification requirements

Thanks for the information Jeremy.

I appreciate any positive advice and will look at the Australia forum as suggested. I never really expected the process of immigration to be easy but maybe it just appears a bit more complicated when you have so much history behind you (as opposed to being a twenty something year old having just left further education). The whole process does get you down a little so any positive re-enforcement is always welcome.

Kind Regards

Mark Williams

Originally Posted by JAJ
You are not really clear about what exactly you do, but if you're a tradesman you might have a chance of getting into Australia. It's possible to get accepted as a tradesman there based mainly on experience (although be warned the process is not easy, and you'll probably need professional assistance).

Ask on the Australia immigration forum.

Otherwise some people upgrade their qualifications, although you'd need to accept the risk that you might still not qualify for immigration at the end. However such extra qualifications might come in useful in the UK.

Jeremy
markw69 is offline  

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.