Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Québec Immigration--Federal Step (I don't understand what is going on)

Québec Immigration--Federal Step (I don't understand what is going on)

Old Jul 11th 2007, 7:05 am
Just Joined

inquirer is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Québec Immigration--Federal Step (I don't understand what is going on)

I am on the verge of losing my mind. I applied for Immigration through Québec's Certificat de Séléction du Québec and to my utter surprise, I got through the first step (i.e., the acquisition of the CSQ) in only 4 months. Immediately after my acquisition of the Québec certificate, I applied for the federal stage of the Immigration through Buffalo, which, as you might be aware, consists of medical and criminal investigations. I carried out my medical visit immediately after having been told to do so and I provided them with the required paperwork indicating the police check and everything. I received a paper from their side indicating that I was not lacking any documents and that I didn't need to go through an interview and that I should wait...wait...wait!!

Today, it is more than 10 months since I applied through Buffalo and I still don't have any news of my application for permanent residency. The worst of all is the reluctance of officials in Buffalo to provide any information whatsoever as to what is going on with regards to my application.

What I find to be completely incomprehensible is that I have been in this country for 7 years now (4 years as a student and 3 years on a work permit) and am fluently bilingual (my competence of both official languages has been certified with certifications recognised all over Canada). If the factor delaying my application is this notorious security check, then how have I managed to even get a government security clearance whereas a similar security check takes ages with Immigration Canada ? (Or, is this a sham employed by Immigration Canada to vindicate the laziness of civil servants within the government?). Sarcasm aside, the bureacracy of the Canadian Immigration System (all through my student life, my work permit, and now my immigration application) has been a source of profound distress to me.For anyone applying thorugh Buffalo, my experience has been a revolting one...
Old Jul 11th 2007, 11:22 am

Andrew Miller is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Québec Immigration--Federal Step (I don't understand what is going on)

Security checks are not conducted by Citizenship and Immigration Canada - they are done completely independently from CIC by Canadian intelligence and security agencies, with and without cooperation of relevant authorities in countries where the check is being conducted. Blame your history, associations, activities, etc. as well as authorities in countries you lived in for their lack of timely response to inquiries from Canada - but don't blame CIC as they know nothing about your security check until they get simple passed or failed from spooks.
Old Jul 11th 2007, 11:25 am
Banned

Howard1944 has much to be proud ofHoward1944 has much to be proud ofHoward1944 has much to be proud ofHoward1944 has much to be proud ofHoward1944 has much to be proud ofHoward1944 has much to be proud ofHoward1944 has much to be proud ofHoward1944 has much to be proud ofHoward1944 has much to be proud ofHoward1944 has much to be proud ofHoward1944 has much to be proud of
Default Re: Québec Immigration--Federal Step (I don't understand what is going on)

Maybe your name has come up, it might be similar to someone on CSIS 's watch List??
Old Jul 12th 2007, 12:38 am
Just Joined

Andrew Miller:

So would it mean that for some countries the processing time takes longer than others? I myself come from Turkey and I have been in Canada since the age of 18.
Old Jul 12th 2007, 2:58 am

It is not specifically "for some countries" - it is all based on unique circumstances of each individual, his/her life history, activities, associations, etc., although countries s/he resided in are a factor too as for example some countries tend to respond to Canadian requests with 10-12 months delay (if at all) and some countries are are a known sources of fake identities, terrorist activities, etc..

It doesn't matter that you've been in Canada since age 18 - as Howard1944 mentioned your name (or similar) could have came up with red flag, you may also be (or were) associated knowingly or not with someone who may pose security concerns etc., etc., etc...
Old Jul 12th 2007, 6:38 am
Just Joined

Thanks for providing me with further information. Now that scares the hell out of me. I have ever been involved in any crminial activity and have always been a law-abiding citizen (as was attested to by the police certificates that I have obtained both from Turkey and Canada). It is one of these situations in which one feels scared of refusal despite knowing with certitude that my background is clean. Is there a way to find out how long each country specifically takes or again, would it still depend on individuals irrespective of their nationality? I know for instance, from talking to other applications of Québec Immigration, Morocco and Algeria take ages when it comes to Federal step. I don't know, I am so confused and dismayed....
Old Jul 12th 2007, 11:27 am

It is not about criminal record - it is all about security, terrorism, espionage, crimes against humanity, etc..