Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Q for anyone w Spouse in Canada sponsoring them

Q for anyone w Spouse in Canada sponsoring them

Old Mar 22nd 2006, 4:40 pm
it ain't ez bein cheezy

cheezy is a name known to allcheezy is a name known to allcheezy is a name known to allcheezy is a name known to allcheezy is a name known to allcheezy is a name known to allcheezy is a name known to allcheezy is a name known to allcheezy is a name known to allcheezy is a name known to allcheezy is a name known to all
Default Q for anyone w Spouse in Canada sponsoring them

I am a bit stumped by the financial obligation for Sponsor.

In the Guide, it states:

"You have an income that is at least equal to the minimum necessary income, the amount which is published yearly by the Cdn Govt."

"You will have to provide us with docs that show your financial resources for the past 12 months… (etc)"

But then after that, it says This condition does not apply if you are sponsoring only your spouse

So I’m baffled. Do we still have to fill in his 12 months of net income on the form (Sponsorship Evaluation?) and include Option C Cdn Revenue form?

Seems strange since they say that it does not apply…….. I’m only concerned because my husband traveled most of last year and only worked 3 months in 05 making just 12K.
Old Mar 22nd 2006, 4:46 pm
PMM
Lost in BE Cyberspace

PMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Q for anyone w Spouse in Canada sponsoring them

Hi

Originally Posted by cheezy
I am a bit stumped by the financial obligation for Sponsor.

In the Guide, it states:

"You have an income that is at least equal to the minimum necessary income, the amount which is published yearly by the Cdn Govt."

"You will have to provide us with docs that show your financial resources for the past 12 months… (etc)"

But then after that, it says This condition does not apply if you are sponsoring only your spouse

You still have to complete the forms and submit the financial details although spousal applicants do not have to meet LICO.

So I’m baffled. Do we still have to fill in his 12 months of net income on the form (Sponsorship Evaluation?) and include Option C Cdn Revenue form?

Seems strange since they say that it does not apply…….. I’m only concerned because my husband traveled most of last year and only worked 3 months in 05 making just 12K.
Old Mar 22nd 2006, 5:21 pm
it ain't ez bein cheezy

cheezy is a name known to allcheezy is a name known to allcheezy is a name known to allcheezy is a name known to allcheezy is a name known to allcheezy is a name known to allcheezy is a name known to allcheezy is a name known to allcheezy is a name known to allcheezy is a name known to allcheezy is a name known to all

Originally Posted by PMM
Hi
Are you just being friendly?
Old Mar 22nd 2006, 6:05 pm
PMM
Lost in BE Cyberspace

PMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

Are you just being friendly?
It didn't post, although you don't have to meet the LICO for a spousal sponsorship, you do have to submit the financial evaluation. There have been refusals based on Sec 39 of the Act in spousal cases:

"39. A foreign national is inadmissible for financial reasons if they are or will be unable or unwilling to support themself or any other person who is dependent on them, and have not satisfied an officer that adequate arrangements for care and support, other than those that involve social assistance, have been made."

PMM
Old Mar 22nd 2006, 7:55 pm
it ain't ez bein cheezy

Originally Posted by PMM
Hi

It didn't post, although you don't have to meet the LICO for a spousal sponsorship, you do have to submit the financial evaluation. There have been refusals based on Sec 39 of the Act in spousal cases:

"39. A foreign national is inadmissible for financial reasons if they are or will be unable or unwilling to support themself or any other person who is dependent on them, and have not satisfied an officer that adequate arrangements for care and support, other than those that involve social assistance, have been made."

PMM
Thanks very much for that info. In the checklist it states to submit Option C, but also says if not submitting to explain. We are unable to get the Option C for the recent tax period right now but in its place are including letter of explanation, and submitting copies of T4 and all pay stubs from 1/06 to present. I hope this will suffice.
Old Mar 23rd 2006, 8:34 am
Native Vancouverite

Susie Derkins is just really niceSusie Derkins is just really niceSusie Derkins is just really niceSusie Derkins is just really niceSusie Derkins is just really niceSusie Derkins is just really niceSusie Derkins is just really niceSusie Derkins is just really niceSusie Derkins is just really niceSusie Derkins is just really niceSusie Derkins is just really nice

Cheezy, I sponsored my common-law partner recently, and I didn't include any of my financial information. Proving you have a minimum level of income appears to be necessary if there are any dependents involved, but not if you're sponsoring only your spouse.

I didn't include my tax information, either, and included a letter explaining that I hadn't filed my taxes because I've been living in the UK for 2 years. We were approved with no problems.

Good luck!
Old Mar 23rd 2006, 5:07 pm
Every day is a new day...

amancharan has a reputation beyond reputeamancharan has a reputation beyond reputeamancharan has a reputation beyond reputeamancharan has a reputation beyond reputeamancharan has a reputation beyond reputeamancharan has a reputation beyond reputeamancharan has a reputation beyond reputeamancharan has a reputation beyond reputeamancharan has a reputation beyond reputeamancharan has a reputation beyond reputeamancharan has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Susie Derkins
Cheezy, I sponsored my common-law partner recently, and I didn't include any of my financial information. Proving you have a minimum level of income appears to be necessary if there are any dependents involved, but not if you're sponsoring only your spouse.

I didn't include my tax information, either, and included a letter explaining that I hadn't filed my taxes because I've been living in the UK for 2 years. We were approved with no problems.

Good luck!
You probably were approved because you are living in the UK and sponsoring from outside!
Cheezy, whatever PMM said is correct! Make sure you include whatever you can and provide an explanation with it if you cant get the Option C. Thats should suffice!
Its always better to provide whatever you could because it wouldnt harm; but if you dont, it can do big time!! Choice is yours....
Old Mar 23rd 2006, 6:24 pm
it ain't ez bein cheezy

Thanks for the advice everyone. We have written a letter explaining that he was in Canada for only 3 months of '05, included copy of his T4 showing the 12K from 3 months work in 05, luckily he's saved every pay stub in 06 so he's copying all of those, a letter from his new employer stating there's lots of potential for growth and showing his salary, and potential salary after 90 day trial period, also for fun I'm including a few of my recent pay stubs to show my *earning potential* (I know they won't count it, but anyway) and also a year-to-date statement from the Bank of Montreal showing his deposits. phew, hopefully that will be ok.
Old Mar 24th 2006, 2:03 am
Forum Regular

vietcan is a jewel in the roughvietcan is a jewel in the roughvietcan is a jewel in the roughvietcan is a jewel in the roughvietcan is a jewel in the rough

You don't need a minimum income to sponsor a spouse or your common-law partner; however, you still need to send in some financial items because they want to know that the sponsor will be able to support there partner. Basically they want to make sure you haven't been on welfare or needed (will need) any kind of financial assistance from the government. What you're sending in sounds like more then enough.

Thanks for the advice everyone. We have written a letter explaining that he was in Canada for only 3 months of '05, included copy of his T4 showing the 12K from 3 months work in 05, luckily he's saved every pay stub in 06 so he's copying all of those, a letter from his new employer stating there's lots of potential for growth and showing his salary, and potential salary after 90 day trial period, also for fun I'm including a few of my recent pay stubs to show my *earning potential* (I know they won't count it, but anyway) and also a year-to-date statement from the Bank of Montreal showing his deposits. phew, hopefully that will be ok.