Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Putting in for PR - UK or in Canada?

Putting in for PR - UK or in Canada?

Old Mar 16th 2008, 4:52 am
Forum Regular

Mr and Mrs B. will become famous soon enoughMr and Mrs B. will become famous soon enough
Default Putting in for PR - UK or in Canada?

Hi Folks,

Opinions on a post card please

Right, here is the situation:

I have accepted a job offer in Canada - my employer has done the LMO and will be sorting out the work permit.

We will be coming over for me to start on the 1st September (current plan).

Would it be better for us to start applying for PR in the UK before we leave or start the process when we arrive in Canada?

Mr B.
Old Mar 16th 2008, 5:49 am
lof
Canadian Wet Coaster

lof has a reputation beyond reputelof has a reputation beyond reputelof has a reputation beyond reputelof has a reputation beyond reputelof has a reputation beyond reputelof has a reputation beyond reputelof has a reputation beyond reputelof has a reputation beyond reputelof has a reputation beyond reputelof has a reputation beyond reputelof has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Putting in for PR - UK or in Canada?

a) the employer is responsible for the lmo, you have to apply for the work permit

b) as a skilled worker you have to apply for pr to a visa post abroad anyway. in your situation london or - with the wp, which must be valid for a year or longer - buffalo (which takes care for applications from people already in canada)

since buffalo doesn't fast track applications with arranged employment and london's seems to be faster for this cases (at least at the moment...) i would wait until you've started work here, get an permanent job offer lettre from your employer and submit your complete package to london.

that is just my opinion from reading here. the experts will come and correct me.
i'm sure there is a wiki-article about that, and a search, specially in andrew miller's posts about that topic, should give you more hints - correctly put and legally backed up.
Old Mar 16th 2008, 6:27 am
Forum Regular

Mr and Mrs B. will become famous soon enoughMr and Mrs B. will become famous soon enough

Thank you for your reply, Mr B's employer is actually arranging the WP for us. They've got an international recruitment officer with whom we've been in contact with. They are paying for his, and mine (even though I won't be working for them), so we feel rather fortunate
Mr B works for a large international I. T. services company and he's transfering from a UK office to their Toronto office, so I don't know if that makes any difference. We've had the formal contract from the Canadians and we've accepted. It does seem as if we're better off waiting until we're in Canada to apply....

Originally Posted by lof
a) the employer is responsible for the lmo, you have to apply for the work permit

b) as a skilled worker you have to apply for pr to a visa post abroad anyway. in your situation london or - with the wp, which must be valid for a year or longer - buffalo (which takes care for applications from people already in canada)

since buffalo doesn't fast track applications with arranged employment and london's seems to be faster for this cases (at least at the moment...) i would wait until you've started work here, get an permanent job offer lettre from your employer and submit your complete package to london.

that is just my opinion from reading here. the experts will come and correct me.
i'm sure there is a wiki-article about that, and a search, specially in andrew miller's posts about that topic, should give you more hints - correctly put and legally backed up.

Last edited by Mr and Mrs B.; Mar 16th 2008 at 6:40 am.
Old Mar 16th 2008, 6:49 am
Now on Vancouver Island

Judy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mr and Mrs B.
Thank you for your reply, Mr B's employer is actually arranging the WP for us. They've got an international recruitment officer with whom we've been in contact with. They are paying for his, and mine (even though I won't be working for them), so we feel rather fortunate
If I correctly understood what lof was saying, he was pointing out that the temporary work permit application is the responsibility of the applicant. Yes, your employer's Human Resources Department could prepare all the paperwork and get you to sign it. Alternatively, your employer could hire an immigration consultant to prepare all the paperwork and get you to sign it.

But, at the end of the day, you are responsible. If the paperwork contains erroneous information and you sign it, you will be held accountable.

It may be stating the obvious, but there have been people in the past who have let someone else handle everything, who have just signed without reading the small print, and who have suffered the consequences.

A British friend of ours who spent 18 months in Calgary on a temporary work permit received erroneous advice from his employer's HR Department. There was no malice involved. The person in the company's HR Department who advised him was merely ignorant.

By the time he mentioned the problem to us, almost on the eve of his return to the UK, it was too late for me to help him. If I had known about it, my knowledge of the process, just from my participation on this forum, could have set things straight for him 18 months earlier.

Since you're going to Canada on an intra-company transfer, I'm sure there is goodwill all around, and no one would intentionally shaft you. But it still would be a good idea for you to monitor your temporary work permit application.

As to the timing of your permanent residence visa application, I agree with lof's advice.
x
Old Mar 16th 2008, 8:29 pm
Forum Regular

sharonl is an unknown quantity at this point
Unhappy Re: Putting in for PR - UK or in Canada?

Originally Posted by lof

hi i submitted all my info to london- have job in sask , offer ,letter etc all in also all families info gone in at same time big fat cheque included got it all sent back from london with nothing done to it saying send to mississauga as this is where all sponsership must go - very confused and more than fed up ....any one please give me a straight answer helppp
Old Mar 17th 2008, 3:53 am
Forum Regular

Will go over the small print with a fine tooth comb....I have to say, I find the whole process very intimidating, even though we're doing as an inter company transfer..... The fear of getting anything wrong is rather overwhelming but this forum has helped a lot!! I'm so glad it exists and that there are so many kind people willing to help

As for our PR application, it seems as though we should be applying through London, but we will wait until we get to Canada to do so...

Mrs B

Originally Posted by Judy in Calgary
If I correctly understood what lof was saying, he was pointing out that the temporary work permit application is the responsibility of the applicant. Yes, your employer's Human Resources Department could prepare all the paperwork and get you to sign it. Alternatively, your employer could hire an immigration consultant to prepare all the paperwork and get you to sign it.

But, at the end of the day, you are responsible. If the paperwork contains erroneous information and you sign it, you will be held accountable.

It may be stating the obvious, but there have been people in the past who have let someone else handle everything, who have just signed without reading the small print, and who have suffered the consequences.

A British friend of ours who spent 18 months in Calgary on a temporary work permit received erroneous advice from his employer's HR Department. There was no malice involved. The person in the company's HR Department who advised him was merely ignorant.

By the time he mentioned the problem to us, almost on the eve of his return to the UK, it was too late for me to help him. If I had known about it, my knowledge of the process, just from my participation on this forum, could have set things straight for him 18 months earlier.

Since you're going to Canada on an intra-company transfer, I'm sure there is goodwill all around, and no one would intentionally shaft you. But it still would be a good idea for you to monitor your temporary work permit application.

As to the timing of your permanent residence visa application, I agree with lof's advice.
x
Old Mar 17th 2008, 8:30 am
BE Enthusiast

AlvicBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlvicBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlvicBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlvicBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlvicBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlvicBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlvicBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlvicBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlvicBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlvicBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlvicBC has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sharonl
hi i submitted all my info to london- have job in sask , offer ,letter etc all in also all families info gone in at same time big fat cheque included got it all sent back from london with nothing done to it saying send to mississauga as this is where all sponsership must go - very confused and more than fed up ....any one please give me a straight answer helppp
Hi Sharonl, we are also in Sask on a TWP, but all our stuff was sent to London.

Tell us a bit more about your situation - did CIC ask for documents to be returned to London?

Where in SK is your job.
Old Mar 17th 2008, 8:03 pm
Forum Regular

hi original job was in moosejaw last yr but HO in kentucky pulled the plug two wks before going OMG! so new job is in tisdale just a bit too up north but hey lol
we had been linked with a person in cic who sent all our stuff back and said forward to london, did that and its just back looking no different saying send to mississauga!

hub is going on snip which has been approved
wp completed
app for perm res completed
job offer and contract done
rest of families immig info completed
educ info in
marriage cert in
previous job info in
birth cert in
big fat cheque in
also feels like they know my inside leg measurement lol

went to london and got it sent back with a little mark by section that states -
all sponshership to be submitted to mississauga , if sponsering spouse, child etc, must submit both the sponsership application and the app for perm residency to mississauga.

so why was i told to send to london
where does it go now - mississauga?!!
yet more time- ahhhhhhhh
i need to get over ther before i lose this job it is so frustrating
when do medicals happen and where?
can my hubby just bloody go and we follow later?
any straight honest answers gratefully received

if i wasnt mad alredy i would be by now!!
Old Mar 18th 2008, 2:47 am
BE Enthusiast

AlvicBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlvicBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlvicBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlvicBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlvicBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlvicBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlvicBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlvicBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlvicBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlvicBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlvicBC has a reputation beyond repute

hi original job was in moosejaw last yr but HO in kentucky pulled the plug two wks before going OMG! so new job is in tisdale just a bit too up north but hey lol
we had been linked with a person in cic who sent all our stuff back and said forward to london, did that and its just back looking no different saying send to mississauga!

hub is going on snip which has been approved
wp completed
app for perm res completed
job offer and contract done
rest of families immig info completed
educ info in
marriage cert in
previous job info in
birth cert in
big fat cheque in
also feels like they know my inside leg measurement lol

went to london and got it sent back with a little mark by section that states -
all sponshership to be submitted to mississauga , if sponsering spouse, child etc, must submit both the sponsership application and the app for perm residency to mississauga.

so why was i told to send to london
where does it go now - mississauga?!!
yet more time- ahhhhhhhh
i need to get over ther before i lose this job it is so frustrating
when do medicals happen and where?
can my hubby just bloody go and we follow later?
any straight honest answers gratefully received

if i wasnt mad alredy i would be by now!!
Seems like your well organised if nothing else. We did our medicals in Regina but there is a Doc in Saskatoon too who you can use.

No idea why they changed you to Miss. maybe they think it will speed up the process for you?

Good luck anyway and let me know how things go eh?
Old Mar 18th 2008, 7:02 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by AlvicSK
Seems like your well organised if nothing else. We did our medicals in Regina but there is a Doc in Saskatoon too who you can use.

No idea why they changed you to Miss. maybe they think it will speed up the process for you?

Good luck anyway and let me know how things go eh?
lol will - do feels like organised chaos!

whats your situation where you at with process and how ya finding it - bein out there?
Old Mar 18th 2008, 2:49 pm
BE Enthusiast

lol will - do feels like organised chaos!

whats your situation where you at with process and how ya finding it - bein out there?
We are here on TWP, have applied for PNP and PR. Done medicals and fingers crossed now

Love it here in Sask, lovely people, no hills big opne skies whats not to like. Long winter though