Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Purchasing a house before getting PR

Purchasing a house before getting PR

Old Sep 25th 2004, 3:30 am
Here and happy at last

gooding has a brilliant futuregooding has a brilliant futuregooding has a brilliant futuregooding has a brilliant futuregooding has a brilliant futuregooding has a brilliant futuregooding has a brilliant future
Default Purchasing a house before getting PR

Question for anyone who has bought house or land, before getting PR.
Should we tell immigration that we have bought? If we do would they think we were being presumptious? or if we don't would it be wrong, and be considered information that should be included in our appliction.
Also when we return to visit, and immigration ask us why we are there on entry, should we say "holiday" which were are still doing, or say" we are visiting our house.... for our holiday.
When we landed the first time we had to say where we were staying and for how long. the last time we went the forms were a lot simpler, and no information on where we were staying had to be given.
Old Sep 25th 2004, 4:10 am
PMM
Lost in BE Cyberspace

PMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Purchasing a house before getting PR

Hi Gooding

Originally Posted by gooding
Should we tell immigration that we have bought? If we do would they think we were being presumptious? or if we don't would it be wrong, and be considered information that should be included in our appliction.
Also when we return to visit, and immigration ask us why we are there on entry, should we say "holiday" which were are still doing, or say" we are visiting our house.... for our holiday.
When we landed the first time we had to say where we were staying and for how long. the last time we went the forms were a lot simpler, and no information on where we were staying had to be given.
CIC doesn't care that you have bought a house. Remember not being a PR will mean that you will have some difficulty in obtaining a mortgage, probably will be unable to qualify for a high ratio mortgage and will probably need a minimum of 25%/30% down.

PMM
Old Sep 25th 2004, 4:25 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by PMM
Hi Gooding

CIC doesn't care that you have bought a house. Remember not being a PR will mean that you will have some difficulty in obtaining a mortgage, probably will be unable to qualify for a high ratio mortgage and will probably need a minimum of 25%/30% down.

PMM
There's always the risk that plans to get PR won't work out in the end too.

Jeremy
Old Sep 25th 2004, 5:27 am
Premium Member

Tiaribbon is a glorious beacon of lightTiaribbon is a glorious beacon of lightTiaribbon is a glorious beacon of lightTiaribbon is a glorious beacon of lightTiaribbon is a glorious beacon of lightTiaribbon is a glorious beacon of lightTiaribbon is a glorious beacon of lightTiaribbon is a glorious beacon of lightTiaribbon is a glorious beacon of lightTiaribbon is a glorious beacon of lightTiaribbon is a glorious beacon of light

When we bought our farm, under the advice of Jim we sent a letter to CHC informing them of this. However, when we go to Canada we never mention this fact to the Immigration officer at the port of entry. We just say that we are meeting up with friends.....they accept this quite happily every time with no problems.
Old Sep 25th 2004, 9:14 am
Here and happy at last

gooding has a brilliant futuregooding has a brilliant futuregooding has a brilliant futuregooding has a brilliant futuregooding has a brilliant futuregooding has a brilliant futuregooding has a brilliant future

Thanks for reply, We have already bought and are lucky enough not to have a mortage so no probs there.We see it as an investment if we don't get PR, and are guaranteed accommodation in a beautiful part of Canada, from skiing in winter and sun and sea in summer, for us and family.
I would much rather invest there than spain or france, from stories I hear at present on the news!
We have travelled all around the world, yet have never found anywhere until now that we wanted to return to, or buy a house in.

I think like you I will inform CIC, as I do think it forms a part of our application now, as they can see where our money has been spent, especially as we had to include proof of funds in the beginning, and will hopefully help to show it may help to becoming "economically established" which I see quoted as reasons for rejection. I assume this could be to do with money, and employment possibilities, to name but a few.

I think immigration officers , must get sick of asking hundreds all day every day, why they are there. I would love to come up with a witty reply like "I really don't know" or " I'm lost" but daren't!!!!

Originally Posted by Tiaribbon
When we bought our farm, under the advice of Jim we sent a letter to CHC informing them of this. However, when we go to Canada we never mention this fact to the Immigration officer at the port of entry. We just say that we are meeting up with friends.....they accept this quite happily every time with no problems.
Old Sep 25th 2004, 9:55 am
Premium Member

Tiaribbon is a glorious beacon of lightTiaribbon is a glorious beacon of lightTiaribbon is a glorious beacon of lightTiaribbon is a glorious beacon of lightTiaribbon is a glorious beacon of lightTiaribbon is a glorious beacon of lightTiaribbon is a glorious beacon of lightTiaribbon is a glorious beacon of lightTiaribbon is a glorious beacon of lightTiaribbon is a glorious beacon of lightTiaribbon is a glorious beacon of light

Thanks for reply, We have already bought and are lucky enough not to have a mortage so no probs there.We see it as an investment if we don't get PR, and are guaranteed accommodation in a beautiful part of Canada, from skiing in winter and sun and sea in summer, for us and family.
I would much rather invest there than spain or france, from stories I hear at present on the news!
We have travelled all around the world, yet have never found anywhere until now that we wanted to return to, or buy a house in.

I think like you I will inform CIC, as I do think it forms a part of our application now, as they can see where our money has been spent, especially as we had to include proof of funds in the beginning, and will hopefully help to show it may help to becoming "economically established" which I see quoted as reasons for rejection. I assume this could be to do with money, and employment possibilities, to name but a few.

I think immigration officers , must get sick of asking hundreds all day every day, why they are there. I would love to come up with a witty reply like "I really don't know" or " I'm lost" but daren't!!!!
LMAO!!!! Not sure they would find it as humourous as we do.

Being economically established may not be a good thing, however it DOES show that you are "adaptable" which IS a good thing. Damned if you do and damned if you don't perhaps? I think being truthful (but not runaway tongue) is best. You don't have to tell them the absolute truth when you pass through Immigration; this won't get you into trouble, but if you lie then if may have repercussions. We have never been asked for further information since we started using the "meeting up with friends" reason.
Old Sep 25th 2004, 7:06 pm
Here and happy at last

I feel we all seem to tread on egg shells through the immigration process. Its a bit like how everyone fears the tax man! You want to do the right thing but worry that even that may be wrong!
People buy holiday homes all over the world and return year after year.
This to me is no different. It is just a bit different as we are trying for residency.
Also if they know we had a permanent address in Canada that we stayed at, there is not much chance of us entering and not returning, as it would be really easy to find us!
Thanks for help

Being economically established may not be a good thing, however it DOES show that you are "adaptable" which IS a good thing. Damned if you do and damned if you don't perhaps? I think being truthful (but not runaway tongue) is best. You don't have to tell them the absolute truth when you pass through Immigration; this won't get you into trouble, but if you lie then if may have repercussions. We have never been asked for further information since we started using the "meeting up with friends" reason.[/QUOTE]