Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Public Service Commission Jobs - A kick in the teeth for immigrants???

Public Service Commission Jobs - A kick in the teeth for immigrants???

Old Feb 6th 2002, 2:36 pm
James

Hi,

I don't want to start a ranting and raving thread here, just one that maybe people
could add their own thoughts / views to.

I've been resident in Canada for just over a year now. I worked long and hard to come
here, just like many of you either have or are going through right now. I'm fortunate
enough to have been in a great job since just after I got here, however, it's very
disheartening to visit the Public Service Commissions job site and see the following
message posted at the bottom of every position...

---------------
Please clearly indicate your citizenship. Preference will be given to
Canadian citizens.
---------------

So, after all our hard work of getting here, the very people who approve our
applications are kicking us in the teeth. This doesn't sound like employment equity
to me, which is something the PSC say they are committed to.....

My immigration status when applying for positions or attending interviews has never
been questioned, and I have certainly never brought the subject up with prospective
employers.

If Immigrants have the same rights to work in Canada as any Canadian Citizen then
statements like this are surely discriminatory against immigrants. Or am I wrong?....

Your comments please........

James

Old Feb 6th 2002, 2:41 pm
Bakaa

Can you provide the link to this site please.

>
    >
    >
maybe
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
our
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
up
    >
    >
    >
Citizen
    >
Or
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >

Old Feb 6th 2002, 2:49 pm
Andrew Miller

No, it is not a discrimination - simply some government positions require certain
security clearance levels which may be given only to Canadian citizens and some other
positions may require travel flexibility (eligibility for TN visa for example)
available also only to Canadian citizens.

--

../..

Andrew Miller Immigration Consultant Vancouver, British Columbia email:
[email protected] (delete REMOVE and INVALID from the above address before
sending email)

>
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >

Old Feb 6th 2002, 3:07 pm
James B

Hi Andrew,

I understand your comments, however, I take the statement 'Preference will be given
to Canadian citizens' to mean that they would still employ an immigrant if either no
citizens applied or qualified for the position, and therefore in these cases, the
security clearance doesn't even come into it. I would expect a position that required
a citizen to read something like 'Only open to Canadian Citizens'....

>
    >
citizens
    >
TN
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >

[usenetquote2]> > Hi,[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> >[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > I don't want to start a ranting and raving thread here, just one that[/usenetquote2]
maybe
[usenetquote2]> > people could add their own thoughts / views to.[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > I've been resident in Canada for just over a year now. I worked long[/usenetquote2]
and
[usenetquote2]> > hard to come here, just like many of you either have or are going[/usenetquote2]
through
[usenetquote2]> > right now. I'm fortunate enough to have been in a great job since just after I[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > got here, however, it's very disheartening to visit the Public Service[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > Commissions job site and see the following message posted at the bottom of every[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > position...[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > ---------------[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > Please clearly indicate your citizenship. Preference will be given to Canadian[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > citizens.[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > So, after all our hard work of getting here, the very people who approve[/usenetquote2]
our
[usenetquote2]> > applications are kicking us in the teeth. This doesn't sound like employment[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > equity to me, which is something the PSC say they are[/usenetquote2]
committed
[usenetquote2]> > to.....[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > My immigration status when applying for positions or attending[/usenetquote2]
interviews
[usenetquote2]> > has never been questioned, and I have certainly never brought the[/usenetquote2]
subject up
[usenetquote2]> > with prospective employers.[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > If Immigrants have the same rights to work in Canada as any Canadian[/usenetquote2]
Citizen
[usenetquote2]> > then statements like this are surely discriminatory against immigrants.[/usenetquote2]
Or
[usenetquote2]> > am I wrong?....[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > Your comments please........[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > James[/usenetquote2]

Old Feb 6th 2002, 3:10 pm
James B

Sure,

http://jobs.gc.ca/menu/alljobs_e.htm

James

>
    >

[usenetquote2]> > I don't want to start a ranting and raving thread here, just one that[/usenetquote2]
    >
[usenetquote2]> > people could add their own thoughts / views to.[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > I've been resident in Canada for just over a year now. I worked long[/usenetquote2]
and
[usenetquote2]> > hard to come here, just like many of you either have or are going[/usenetquote2]
through
[usenetquote2]> > right now. I'm fortunate enough to have been in a great job since just after I[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > got here, however, it's very disheartening to visit the Public Service[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > Commissions job site and see the following message posted at the bottom of every[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > Please clearly indicate your citizenship. Preference will be given to Canadian[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > So, after all our hard work of getting here, the very people who approve[/usenetquote2]
    >
[usenetquote2]> > applications are kicking us in the teeth. This doesn't sound like employment[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > equity to me, which is something the PSC say they are[/usenetquote2]
committed
[usenetquote2]> > My immigration status when applying for positions or attending[/usenetquote2]
interviews
[usenetquote2]> > has never been questioned, and I have certainly never brought the[/usenetquote2]
subject
    >
[usenetquote2]> > If Immigrants have the same rights to work in Canada as any Canadian[/usenetquote2]
    >
[usenetquote2]> > then statements like this are surely discriminatory against immigrants.[/usenetquote2]
    >

Old Feb 6th 2002, 4:22 pm
Rajeev

I wanted to add to this, Can a immigrant work for Air Force, Army, Navy, Police ?

>
    >
citizens
    >
TN
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >

maybe
and
through
our
committed
interviews
subject up
Citizen
Or

Old Feb 12th 2002, 6:45 am
Menachem Mavet

I wouldn't get all in a tizzy over this. Why down here south of the border, the same
thing holds, civil service jobs are restricted to citizens. I'll bet that even holds
in the country of your birth. Of course, immigrants can qualify for civil service
jobs, but they have to become citizens first. This makes sense. After all we "gummint
bureaurats" make policy and law for the citizens, it's only right that we are
citizens as well.

I do know an exception. They let Grandpaw join the U.S. Army back in 1917, even
though he was a citizen of the Russian Empire. Even gave him a free trip to France on
a Government expense account, and gave him clothes and the tools of the trade. (Of
course, when he got back in 1918, they also gave him US citizenship, which is why he
enlisted in the first place.)

Menachem

"James" <[email protected]>
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >

Old Feb 14th 2002, 6:07 pm
Jonathan Makepe

Default Re: Public Service Commission Jobs - A kick in the teeth for immigrants???

The people who help immigrants find jobs here in Montreal openly tell us not to
bother applying for civil service positions, neither with the federal government nor
with the provincial government. We are told that they simply will not hire a
non-citizen landed immigrant unless NO Canadian citizen qualifies for the position, a
very rare situation. Nor are non-citizens allowed to join the armed forces, with one
exception:

If you are a citizen of a NATO country whose home country would take away your
citizenship there if you became a Canadian citizen, the Canadian forces RESERVES
_MIGHT_ consider accepting you after you have been in Canada for at least five years.

That is most definitely NOT the case in the United States. U.S. permanent residents
are routinely accepted into the U.S. forces, regular and reserve.

However, the U.S. federal civil service will only hire a non-citizen when no citizen
qualifies for the position.

Old Feb 15th 2002, 6:05 am
Syder_sayez

Default Re: Public Service Commission Jobs - A kick in the teeth for immigrants???

Well, if you hold a non canadian passport you are not a canadian and I totally agree
with anyone who would give preference to his own countrymen over other. That being
said, why bother going to the federal govt jobs ? I have been working in Canada ( as
a PR ) and the USA ( on a work permit ) for the past 5 years and my observation is
that the companies that require citizens to apply/ give preference to citizens are
dull, staid places. As immigrants we have to suceed, otherwise we get thrown into the
sea! Beat the system by drawing upon your desperation to survive and thrive, get an
education, start your own business, work for a company that is founded/staffed by
immigrants, get rich and help other immigrants. In the USA people respect your
education, your hard work and your capability.. I found the same in toronto and in
vancouver...hundreds of small thriving businesses..all belonging to immigrants. I was
shocked to hear that the US armed foces give a starting salary of $29,000 for an
engineer out of college...when you can make easily twice of that in the
industry...who will go there ? certainly not the brains.

Bottomline: stop cribbing about lack of opportunities.

[email protected] (Jonathan Makepeace) wrote in message
news:<[email protected]. com>...
    > The people who help immigrants find jobs here in Montreal openly tell us not to
    > bother applying for civil service positions, neither with the federal government
    > nor with the provincial government. We are told that they simply will not hire a
    > non-citizen landed immigrant unless NO Canadian citizen qualifies for the position,
    > a very rare situation. Nor are non-citizens allowed to join the armed forces, with
    > one exception:
    >
    > If you are a citizen of a NATO country whose home country would take away your
    > citizenship there if you became a Canadian citizen, the Canadian forces
    > RESERVES _MIGHT_ consider accepting you after you have been in Canada for at
    > least five years.
    >
    > That is most definitely NOT the case in the United States. U.S. permanent residents
    > are routinely accepted into the U.S. forces, regular and reserve.
    >
    > However, the U.S. federal civil service will only hire a non-citizen when no
    > citizen qualifies for the position.