Wikiposts

PRV for my wife - I am Canadian

Old May 10th 2008, 10:04 pm
Just Joined

Sorbz62 is just really niceSorbz62 is just really niceSorbz62 is just really niceSorbz62 is just really niceSorbz62 is just really niceSorbz62 is just really niceSorbz62 is just really niceSorbz62 is just really niceSorbz62 is just really niceSorbz62 is just really nice
Default PRV for my wife - I am Canadian

Hi guys,

I am desperately floundering under the paperwork needed for my wife to get a PRV.

I am a Canadian citizen by parentage - I have never lived there - and I have obtained citizenship for my 2 children. I am about to retire from the British Army in a couple of years time and have bought a lovely house in Collingwood, ONT.

I now need to sponsor my wife, who is German, so that we can all go and live in Canada. I am really confused about what exactly I need to do and which forms I need to fill in. I want to get this for her before we go.

Could someone please advise me as to what I need to do. I find it quite difficult wading through websites and 40 page PDFs! I need a bullet point list if possible.

Many thanks in advance,
Jim
Old May 10th 2008, 11:50 pm

Andrew Miller is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: PRV for my wife - I am Canadian

Forms and basic instructions are here:

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/informa...cations/fc.asp

Most of the rest will be case and circumstances specific, thus it is rather impossible to give you anything more than generic pointers that are already available in Wiki:

http://britishexpats.com/wiki/Spousa...sorship-Canada
Old May 11th 2008, 1:43 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sorbz62
Hi guys,

I am desperately floundering under the paperwork needed for my wife to get a PRV.

I am a Canadian citizen by parentage - I have never lived there - and I have obtained citizenship for my 2 children. I am about to retire from the British Army in a couple of years time and have bought a lovely house in Collingwood, ONT.

I now need to sponsor my wife, who is German, so that we can all go and live in Canada. I am really confused about what exactly I need to do and which forms I need to fill in. I want to get this for her before we go.

Could someone please advise me as to what I need to do. I find it quite difficult wading through websites and 40 page PDFs! I need a bullet point list if possible.

Many thanks in advance,
Jim
Maybe not what you want to hear but you really do have to "wade through" all that information and deal with it. The forum can help with specific queries but you do need to do your own research.

Alternatively, you may wish to hire a professional like Andrew Miller to assist you.

Slightly off-topic, but there are a few citizenship related issues you need to be aware of:

1. As second generation Canadians by descent, your children are liable under current law to lose their Canadian citizenship at age 28, unless they apply to retain it.

However, Bill C-37 received Royal Assent on 17 April 2008, and will come into force no later than 17 April 2009. It has two significant changes that affect you:

a. The requirement to retain citizenship by age 28 is abolished;

b. However, in future, children born outside Canada to Canadian citizens by descent will not automatically be Canadian citizens. They will have to be brought to Canada as immigrants and then naturalised.

This will not affect your existing children but will affect their future children , and also any future children you have.

3. Presumably your children have British, German and Canadian passports (no problem for them to have all three). Are you living in the United Kingdom, Germany or somewhere else?

If living in the U.K. has your wife thought about becoming a British citizen?
Old May 11th 2008, 3:32 pm
Forum Regular

cancov is a splendid one to beholdcancov is a splendid one to beholdcancov is a splendid one to beholdcancov is a splendid one to beholdcancov is a splendid one to beholdcancov is a splendid one to beholdcancov is a splendid one to beholdcancov is a splendid one to beholdcancov is a splendid one to beholdcancov is a splendid one to beholdcancov is a splendid one to behold

1. As second generation Canadians by descent, your children are liable under current law to lose their Canadian citizenship at age 28, unless they apply to retain it.

However, Bill C-37 received Royal Assent on 17 April 2008, and will come into force no later than 17 April 2009. It has two significant changes that affect you:

Sorry to hijack this thread....but can you please give me some more info on this, or point me in the direction of info? I am a Canadian citizen, born in UK to a Canadian (by birth) Mother. My kids were born in UK and they have Canadian citizenship ans I was told at the time of getting their citizenship cards, that they will have to apply to retain their citizenship by age 28. Does what you are talking about affect them?

Last edited by JAJ; May 11th 2008 at 4:25 pm.
Old May 11th 2008, 4:52 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cancov
Sorry to hijack this thread....but can you please give me some more info on this, or point me in the direction of info? I am a Canadian citizen, born in UK to a Canadian (by birth) Mother. My kids were born in UK and they have Canadian citizenship ans I was told at the time of getting their citizenship cards, that they will have to apply to retain their citizenship by age 28. Does what you are talking about affect them?
It looks like they will be affected the same way (as you will also be):
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/departm...2008-04-16.asp

Nothing to panic about as no-one who is Canadian on Commencement Day will lose citizenship.

http://www.parl.gc.ca/LEGISINFO/xml/39-2-C-37-e.xml and
http://www.parl.gc.ca/LEGISINFO/inde...ion=15&List=ls

have information in more detail.
Old May 12th 2008, 5:00 am
BE Enthusiast

bhalerao is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by JAJ

b. However, in future, children born outside Canada to Canadian citizens by descent will not automatically be Canadian citizens. They will have to be brought to Canada as immigrants and then naturalised.
Hi JAJ,

I think that there is a slight confusion with your understanding of (b). Here is is what it says - "

Recommendation 4:
The Committee recommends that the amendments to the Citizenship Act provide that the following people are Canadian citizens:

§ Anyone who was born in Canada at any time, retroactive to birth. The only exceptions are for those born in Canada to an accredited foreign diplomat, and those who renounced their citizenship as an adult;

§ Anyone who was born abroad at any time to a Canadian mother or a Canadian father, retroactive to birth, if they are the first generation born abroad. The only exceptions are those who renounced their citizenship as an adult; and

§ Anyone who was naturalized to Canada at any time. The only exceptions are those who renounced their citizenship as an adult, and those who obtained their citizenship by false representation or fraud or by knowingly concealing material circumstances.

Here is the link for the above points. There is a huge confusion on various sites. I have opened a thread for this but no one seems to know the exact answer. Can Andrew or Jim guide us on this please?

http://cmte.parl.gc.ca/Content/HOC/c...htm#TOCLink_20
Old May 12th 2008, 11:55 am

Andrew Miller is an unknown quantity at this point

Why are you referring to Committee recommendations from last year? Look into the final version of amended as of April 2008 law.
Old May 12th 2008, 1:30 pm
JAJ
Retired

Originally Posted by bhalerao
Hi JAJ,

I think that there is a slight confusion with your understanding of (b). Here is is what it says - "

§ Anyone who was born abroad at any time to a Canadian mother or a Canadian father, retroactive to birth, if they are the first generation born abroad. The only exceptions are those who renounced their citizenship as an adult; and

§ Anyone who was naturalized to Canada at any time. The only exceptions are those who renounced their citizenship as an adult, and those who obtained their citizenship by false representation or fraud or by knowingly concealing material circumstances.

Here is the link for the above points. There is a huge confusion on various sites.
No confusion. The answer is actually in the quote above, I have highlighted it in blue.