Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

PRTD (so confused) Can anyone advise please?

PRTD (so confused) Can anyone advise please?

Old Apr 13th 2023, 10:13 pm
Just Joined

ukgirly is an unknown quantity at this point
Exclamation PRTD (so confused) Can anyone advise please?

Hi,

I have to go to the UK in an emergency and have not received my PR card renewal, so need to apply for a PRTD to get back home to Canada. I leave in a few days and have been trying to work out exactly what I have to do, once I get to the UK. I have 4 questions if anybody could help me?

I will be sending my application through the post (Paper application) as my Mum's computer has broken. I understand the forms I have to complete and the IRCC fee I have to pay, the VFS consent form etc
I have emailed the VFS about 3 times (The first time they told me to fill in the wrong form) to make sure I'm not missing anything but I receive different information every time, so I am more confused than ever!

One of the emails I received from them said:

"Dear Applicant,To apply for a (PRTD) Permanent Resident Travel Document at the (CVAC) Canada Visa Application Center, the deposit thereof can be made using the certified courier company of your choice, by the post office, use Two way courier Service offered by VFS Global, or attending in person from Monday to Friday, between 8:30 - 17:00 hrs.

You must submit to the CVAC, in a single envelope, all the following documents:

1. The valid original passport and a copy of the passport bio data page.

2. Completed, printed and signed by hand, application form. (IMM 5544).

3. The Document Checklist, completed, printed and signed by hand. (IMM 5644).

4. Two photos that meet the photo specifications. Photos information sheet

5. Supporting documents.

6. Proof of payment, in the amount of CAN$50.00, for the PRTD application (this service is the only one that will have to be paid for on the Canadian government website"

(Plus there was more about VFS fees, which I have another question about later ...)

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

As you can see by this email, for posting applications (Through Royal Mail/Courier) she says to send my valid passport and a copy of bio page "1. The valid original passport and a copy of the passport bio data page."

The reason I received another email is that it took awhile for them to respond, so I submitted another query, which they replied to, giving me different info. Here is the 2nd response from VFS:

"Dear Applicant,

Thank you for contacting the Canada Visa Application Center Help Desk.

Addressing your below query, we would like to inform you that, as per the process you require to visit the Canadian Embassy website to,

1. Fill the application form online, take a print of it.

2. You need to make a payment for 50 CAD online on the Canadian Embassy website and add the receipt along with the package.

3. Go through the PRTD checklist to prepare the documents including the photos and its specification.

4. Fill out the VFS Global Consent Form by following the below-mentioned link to add it to the package.

5. Also, mention your contact details on the sheet to be enclosed with the package.

6. Pay the VFS service fee Package Transmission and Assisted Service, and add the receipt along with the package to be mailed to VFS."

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

QUESTION 1) Unlike the first email, the 2nd email did not say to send my valid passport AND a copy of the passport bio page. Also in the Canadian PRTD guide, which I printed off, they say not to send originals and only to submit passport after a request letter?? Has anybody applied with a paper application who knows what I should send please: Re: passport?

QUESTION 2) They ask for photographs in both emails: "4. Two photos that meet the photo specifications. Photos information sheet" and "3. Go through the PRTD checklist to prepare the documents including the photos and its specification."

However, in the document check list (IMM5644) it says you only need photographs, if you are applying for a PR card? It doesn't say anything on the document checklist about submitting photos with specifications, for a PRTD

Is this wrong information they have given me and I don't need to submit 2 photos for a PRTD?

QUESTION 3) Thirdly, they send the information about VFS fees but I haven't got a clue how to pay these fees?? Is there a link online to pay them? They talk about their bank details .... or Couriers but what do I actually do to pay these fees? The IRCC fee I pay online on the Canadian website but I just don't understand what I need and how to pay for VFS fees? Do I have to go to the Visa office in London in person to pay fees?
If I don't where do I pay these fees and how do I get the proof/receipt to send in the application package? Is there any way I can avoid going to the London office in person? Sorry I am just so confused that they tell you to pay VFS fees but don't tell you how? If I send the application through Royal Mail, I would use special delivery or a courier service? There is a courier 2 way price, so I just go to any courier to tell them the price stated on the VFS website? I am just so confused about this whole process of how to pay VFS fees and how to send the visa office proof of payment in the application etc

QUESTION 4) I have not been out of Canada in the past 5 years, so I don't have to provide any supporting documents that proves my residence obligation right? Should I send a copy of my landing document from 2000 and a copy of my expired PR Card? I am also apparently exempt from Biometrics, do I send them proof of that?

I am so sorry, if I sound stupid but I just don't understand these things at all. Obviously receiving emails with different information doesn't help.

If anyone has done this before I would be so grateful for any advice, Thank you so much!

Last edited by ukgirly; Apr 13th 2023 at 10:18 pm.
Old Apr 13th 2023, 10:28 pm
Forum Regular

puggirl is just really nicepuggirl is just really nicepuggirl is just really nicepuggirl is just really nicepuggirl is just really nicepuggirl is just really nicepuggirl is just really nicepuggirl is just really nice
Default Re: PRTD (so confused) Can anyone advise please?

hi there are you sure that is the actual canadian goverment website for immigration just that the wording makes them sound like an agency i feel your pain we applied in december for a renewal and we are still waiting we leave for vacation in four weeks and trying to speak to an actual human about anything is proving very difficult good luck
Old Apr 14th 2023, 12:07 am
cpu
Just Joined

cpu is an unknown quantity at this point

It's been a year since I did this, so hopefully it hasn't changed too much but:

Originally Posted by ukgirly
QUESTION 1) Unlike the first email, the 2nd email did not say to send my valid passport AND a copy of the passport bio page. Also in the Canadian PRTD guide, which I printed off, they say not to send originals and only to submit passport after a request letter?? Has anybody applied with a paper application who knows what I should send please: Re: passport?
You'll have to put your actual original passport in the application envelope because that's what the PRTD gets stuck into. Not sure about the copy, but couldn't hurt.

QUESTION 2) They ask for photographs in both emails: "4. Two photos that meet the photo specifications. Photos information sheet" and "3. Go through the PRTD checklist to prepare the documents including the photos and its specification."

However, in the document check list (IMM5644) it says you only need photographs, if you are applying for a PR card? It doesn't say anything on the document checklist about submitting photos with specifications, for a PRTD

Is this wrong information they have given me and I don't need to submit 2 photos for a PRTD?
I sent them two photos, exactly the same ones as on my PR card application (Snappy Snaps still had them saved)

QUESTION 3) Thirdly, they send the information about VFS fees but I haven't got a clue how to pay these fees?? Is there a link online to pay them? They talk about their bank details .... or Couriers but what do I actually do to pay these fees? The IRCC fee I pay online on the Canadian website but I just don't understand what I need and how to pay for VFS fees? Do I have to go to the Visa office in London in person to pay fees?
If I don't where do I pay these fees and how do I get the proof/receipt to send in the application package? Is there any way I can avoid going to the London office in person? Sorry I am just so confused that they tell you to pay VFS fees but don't tell you how? If I send the application through Royal Mail, I would use special delivery or a courier service? There is a courier 2 way price, so I just go to any courier to tell them the price stated on the VFS website? I am just so confused about this whole process of how to pay VFS fees and how to send the visa office proof of payment in the application etc
I didn't pay this as part of the application (possibly because I forgot) but they sent me this email:

Dear Applicant,

We have received your application for Permanent Resident Travel Document, with proof of payment for £36.50

Please note that you are required to pay the assisted service fee of £8.90, once you make the payment kindly email us the proof of payment so that we can process your application without any further delays.

You can also opt for sms/email notifications which cost £1.75

You can provide us a postal order/bankers draft in the name of Canada Visa Application Centre (in pounds) and send it to us.

You can also pay by bank transfers.

Please notify us by reply mail if you have made bank transfers (send a picture/screenshot with the proof of payment).

Please find below the bank details:

Sort Code : 40-02-44

Account NUmber : 32527812

Account name : VF Services UK Ltd Canadian Embassy

Bank name : HSBC UK Bank PLC

BIC : HBUKGB4B

IBAN : GB20HBUK40024432527812

And I sent them a screencap of my Monzo app with the money going out and that was fine.

Last question I can't help you with as I hadn't arrived in Canada yet at that point so there was no residency obligation to meet.
Old Apr 14th 2023, 10:40 am
Forum Regular

puggirl is just really nicepuggirl is just really nicepuggirl is just really nicepuggirl is just really nicepuggirl is just really nicepuggirl is just really nicepuggirl is just really nicepuggirl is just really nice

i just reread the post and realized you are applying in the uk not canada thats why i thought it looked different