PRTD multiple entries

Old May 27th 2023, 2:46 pm
Forum Regular

visage is just really nicevisage is just really nicevisage is just really nicevisage is just really nicevisage is just really nicevisage is just really nicevisage is just really nicevisage is just really nice
Default PRTD multiple entries

Hello, I was wondering if anyone had applied for a PRTD and multiple entries and been successful?
I currently hold a PR and have done for many years. I am married to a Canadian citizen and we live outside Canada.
I want to renew my PR card as i travel back and forth to Canada to work in Canada. However, we won't be moving back to Canada for a couple of years and in that time i continue to travel to Canada for 2-4 times a year to work for a Canadian company, also paying withholding tax there. The problem i have is that my trips are not regular / planned and may come at short notice, so continually applying for a PRTD wouldn't work for and so having my PR card renewed has always been best bet.
So, just wondering if any way around my predicament, PRTD will need multiple entries ... if i demonstrate that my employer is Vancouver based, i need to fly to Canada for assignments i.e. to do my job, I have been commuting for last 10 years this was, many years on a monthly basis, then it may carry weight for the absolute need for multiple entry PRTD until we relocate back to BC ... has anyone a similar experience or advice, many thanks.
Old May 28th 2023, 2:14 pm
BE Forum Addict

Snowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: PRTD multiple entries

See this link which explains what you need to do:
https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration...-document.html
Old May 28th 2023, 5:08 pm
Forum Regular

visage is just really nicevisage is just really nicevisage is just really nicevisage is just really nicevisage is just really nicevisage is just really nicevisage is just really nicevisage is just really nice

Old May 28th 2023, 5:24 pm
Forum Regular

Just a quick question, what does it mean when they say 'meet the residency obligation' ? I am in the UK effectively long term with a Canadian wife and Canadian children, is this meeting the obligation or is there something else? Many thanks.
Old May 28th 2023, 5:41 pm
BE Forum Addict

Snowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond repute

You would have to provide proof that you have been living with a Canadian citizen who is your spouse while resident outside of Canada.
Old May 28th 2023, 10:07 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks, that's all fine, best regards.
Old May 29th 2023, 9:18 am
Forum Regular

DeanN has a reputation beyond reputeDeanN has a reputation beyond reputeDeanN has a reputation beyond reputeDeanN has a reputation beyond reputeDeanN has a reputation beyond reputeDeanN has a reputation beyond reputeDeanN has a reputation beyond reputeDeanN has a reputation beyond reputeDeanN has a reputation beyond reputeDeanN has a reputation beyond reputeDeanN has a reputation beyond repute

I'm in a similar situation (living long-term outside Canada with Canadian citizen partner and not planning to return for a few years) and I've successfully applied twice for a multi entry PRTD – the first time was just for a year for some reason, but earlier this month I applied for & received a second which runs until my passport expires in 2026. I included a letter explaining my situation and saying that I needed to occasionally return to Canada for visits to partners' family, etc.

Also, while you're technically meeting PR residency obligation (RO) by living overseas with a Canadian citizen, I have read on other forums that IRCC staff occasionally apply a 'who followed who' rule when assessing RO – i.e. if your partner moved abroad for work or whatever, and you followed her, that's fine, whereas if the move was due to your work and your partner followed, then they might not view it so favourably. Again this isn't something I've personally experienced but worth bearing in mind when writing your letter explaining why you want multi-entry.

Also the PRTD application moved online last year, which is an improvement on the previous paper-based application route. If you have any questions on it let me know as I completed mine just last month so it's still fresh in the memory.
Old May 29th 2023, 10:35 am
Forum Regular

Hi, thanks for the reply, very interesting ... my PR card doesn't run out until end October, so I was hoping to apply before it runs out so that I am not left with a 'gap', but from what I have read I can only apply for a PRTD once my card has expired, is this the case? Regards.
Old May 31st 2023, 8:16 am
Forum Regular

DeanN has a reputation beyond reputeDeanN has a reputation beyond reputeDeanN has a reputation beyond reputeDeanN has a reputation beyond reputeDeanN has a reputation beyond reputeDeanN has a reputation beyond reputeDeanN has a reputation beyond reputeDeanN has a reputation beyond reputeDeanN has a reputation beyond reputeDeanN has a reputation beyond reputeDeanN has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by visage
Hi, thanks for the reply, very interesting ... my PR card doesn't run out until end October, so I was hoping to apply before it runs out so that I am not left with a 'gap', but from what I have read I can only apply for a PRTD once my card has expired, is this the case? Regards.
I can't speak to that, although from IRCC's point of view it might make some sense – you wouldn't need PRTD if you have a valid PR card.

The one positive thing with having a 'gap' is that in my experience the PRTD is granted fairly quickly – most recently it was approved three weeks after submission (there is also the option of marking your application as Urgent which should speed things further).
Old Jun 17th 2023, 4:27 pm
Forum Regular

Hi DeanN, can you tell me what you sent through as proof of marriage to a Canadian, just trying to work out what they would want to see with my application, many thanks.
Old Jun 19th 2023, 11:33 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by visage
Hi DeanN, can you tell me what you sent through as proof of marriage to a Canadian, just trying to work out what they would want to see with my application, many thanks.
Sure – what I sent was basically a scaled down version of the docs I submitted for the original PR application. So I sent in the following:
  • Photos of us together over the past few years (around 10-15 photos in total) mostly just of the two of us, along with some group shots including family and friends.
  • Copies of residential leases and a few utility bills over past five years, with both our names on them
  • A letter explaining why we were living outside of Canada long term (fairly simple, partner's job has brought us here) and that I was requesting multi-entry due to visiting her family
That plus things like copies of my passport pages, copy of partner's Canadian passport photo page, and so on.

I do remember one thing mentioned in the online application form is (can't remember the exact word) notarised certificate of common-law relationship. I seem to remember having a notary draw up such a thing when we first applied for PR, but it wasn't specified in the PRTD application as a mandatory doc, so didn't bother getting it done a second time. Also having written this i now realise that you're married to a Canadian, so it's probably a lot easier to include a marriage certificate if you have such a thing.

Last edited by DeanN; Jun 19th 2023 at 12:44 pm.
Old Jun 19th 2023, 1:45 pm
Forum Regular

Many thanks, really helpful info. regards.