Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

PRTD has been refused what happens next

PRTD has been refused what happens next

Old Nov 13th 2018, 5:41 pm
Forum Regular

Britishguy1234 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default PRTD has been refused what happens next

Just got our passports back today with a 2 page letter explaining about RO which for me should not have been an issue as my spouse who is a Canadian Citizen was here with me in the UK for over 15 yrs and I have been working all that time.
I was just wondering is it worth me voluntary renunciation of PR status. Any help would be appreciated..
Old Nov 13th 2018, 6:13 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: PRTD has been refused what happens next

Sorry to hear this. Not sure why you’d want to surrender PR? Can’t you just reapply for the PRTD with more proof of accompanying your wife? What proof did you submit?
Old Nov 13th 2018, 6:51 pm
Forum Regular

Hello Christmas
I don't wish to give up my PR but we really need to travel to Canada reason is my father inlaw who is also my father's cousin brother has stage 4 cancer and has been told by doctors he has only 4/5 months left ,but the documents I sent showing my wife was all the letters from fone bills credit card bills letters from our children schools for parents evening doctors letters HMRC letters..i was thinking to seek advice from immigration lawyer...but the funny thing is my dad's refusal letter is exact the same and also all the supporting documents the immigration officer said even under Humantarin grounds the documents was not good enough.

Last edited by Britishguy1234; Nov 13th 2018 at 7:27 pm.
Old Nov 13th 2018, 8:19 pm
BE Forum Addict

Snowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond repute

My strong recommendation to you is to seek the advice of a qualified immigration lawyer/consultant with experience in PRTD Refusals in order to decide quickly what you're going to do next. There's no time to lose because if you don't take steps straightaway (for example to appeal), the wheels will be set in motion for you to lose your status.

Last edited by Snowy560; Nov 13th 2018 at 8:26 pm.
Old Nov 13th 2018, 8:30 pm
Forum Regular

Hello Snowy
thanks for that advice, I'm going to immigration lawyer tomm. I honestly thought under Humantarin compassionate grounds hear about a person who has not long to live and wants to spend time with his family..should be good enough reason..plus others..my whole family is already in Canada just waiting for us..its so sad.
Old Nov 13th 2018, 9:07 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

There is the option of flying to the USA on their ESTA and then being picked up and driving across the border. You certainly won't be getting an eTA to fly to Canada so its either PRTD or fly to the US.

If your application for a PRTD is refused:
  • you will get a refusal letter, explaining the reasons for the refusal and your appeal rights.
If you decide to appeal a negative decision, follow the instructions in the “Notice of Appeal” form and letter sent with your refusal.

What if I am living outside Canada on a long-term basis?

Usually, PRTD counterfoils are issued for a single entry to Canada. However, you can request a long-term multiple entry PRTD if you:
  • meet the residency obligation; and
  • are living outside Canada on a long-term basis (for example, if you are a permanent resident accompanying your Canadian citizen spouse).
Include a cover letter that explains your circumstances and requests a multiple entry PRTD.

Multiple entry PRTD’s cannot extend beyond the expiry date of your passport.
Old Nov 13th 2018, 9:17 pm
BE Forum Addict

Snowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Britishguy1234
Hello Snowy
thanks for that advice, I'm going to immigration lawyer tomm. I honestly thought under Humantarin compassionate grounds hear about a person who has not long to live and wants to spend time with his family..should be good enough reason..plus others..my whole family is already in Canada just waiting for us..its so sad.
Just go and see the lawyer tomorrow and take it from there. They should be able to outline your options. You need legal representation at this point and time is of the essence both because of your family's situation and because of your status.

Last edited by Snowy560; Nov 13th 2018 at 9:20 pm.
Old Nov 13th 2018, 9:36 pm
Forum Regular

Thank you and all for the kind advice..il update tomm..after seeing legal advice.
Old Nov 14th 2018, 2:47 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Hello Snowy
Did you actually apply under H&C grounds? If not, then it won't have been considered at all, and in all honesty I can't see why you'd have needed to apply under H&C given you have been living with your wife. It sounds as though you just haven't provided enough proof of her being Canadian, or you both being together for the past few years. Did you provide proof of you both at the same address?

Re: your father, having looked back at your previous threads, it seems he doesn't quite meet the residency obligation, so unfortunately it seems they've refused him correctly and he will now lose PR, unless I'm misunderstanding. You can however, reapply to sponsor him.

Good luck.
Old Nov 14th 2018, 3:21 pm
Forum Regular

Hello Christmas
we did not apply for H&C but on the PRTD application it does ask if need be provide information on H&C grounds in that part , I did explain how things with my father inlaw being on stage 4 cancer and needs family near him. But I have read on another forum in a very similar situation that person was going to appeal the decision of RO and was allowed to go back to Canada on a special travel document and wait for his appeal date to come..but I have tried to seek some advice from Canadian immigration lawyer didnt get through to them but will keek trying, just want to see were I can send this appeal form it states it should be at our last resident place that would be Alberta and appeal place would be Vancouver..but for my proof of documents for my wife I sent so much showing the dates she was with me..from bank statements to letters from school with dates and years..it states if we appeal our PR status will be pending but still ve able to all the things that PR are able to do.
Old Nov 18th 2018, 4:51 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

but for my proof of documents for my wife I sent so much showing the dates she was with me..from bank statements to letters from school with dates and years..
Did the letters have both your names on? Did you show bank statements for both of you? What else did you provide, things like utility bills, mortgage statement or rental agreement maybe? Just thinking that perhaps you only showed that she was in the UK and didn't show that you were with her, or vice versa? You need tons of proof of both of you living there together to ensure there's no doubt in the immi officer's minds that you were perhaps not living as husband and wife.
Old Nov 18th 2018, 5:10 pm
Forum Regular

Hello Christmas
I sent every documents showing we were living together from 1998 upto present..bank statements school letters doctors cards phone bills..etc.. etc.
nut still I get the exact same refusal as my dad's.. even though I was accompanying an Canadian Citizen my spouse..
Old Nov 18th 2018, 5:12 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Hello Christmas
I sent every documents showing we were living together from 1998 upto present..bank statements school letters doctors cards phone bills..etc.. etc.
nut still I get the exact same refusal as my dad's.. even though I was accompanying an Canadian Citizen my spouse..
That's really odd! I assume you provided proof of her citizenship too?

Definitely worth appealing if so, sounds like CIC have made a big mistake. It wouldn't help your father's case I know, but at least then you could reapply to sponsor him so he could get PR again in the future if he wanted.

Best of luck.
Old Nov 18th 2018, 5:17 pm
Forum Regular

Exactly Christmas
a Biggggg mistake and yes I did send her birth cert and our marriage cert..
we will be appealing but got an MLA in Canada to have look and see what they can do...she said to send all the documents to her ..so i have...but I have 60 days to appeal..hope I get some news before that.
Old Nov 18th 2018, 5:54 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Exactly Christmas
a Biggggg mistake and yes I did send her birth cert and our marriage cert..
we will be appealing but got an MLA in Canada to have look and see what they can do...she said to send all the documents to her ..so i have...but I have 60 days to appeal..hope I get some news before that.
What's an MLA?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.