Wikiposts

PRTD application help

Old Jan 13th 2019, 1:26 am
Just Joined

MKtoOttawa is an unknown quantity at this point
Default PRTD application help

My wife and I did a "soft landing" in October last year after gaining PR status through the Express Entry program (so we landed, did our immigration landing forms, travelled around Canada for 3 weeks then came back to the UK). We gave a Canadian friend's address to send the PR cards to and as far as we know the application is going through correctly. We thought we wouldn't be going back to Canada until maybe the summer but now my wife has found a job and we need to go at the end of Feb.

I have been told that as we cannot be sure we will have received our PR cards by then, we should apply for a Permanent Resident Travel Document. This seems fine but there are a couple of things I am confused about:

It asks for "Your permanent address in Canada". We don't actually have one yet but I've been told elsewhere I should use my friend's address (since mail sent there will get to us via forwarding eventually). Is this correct? It also asks for a phone number - should I just put "N/A"? I have filled in a phone number under the "Your address outside Canada" section.

Under "Your activities and employment" it tells you to give details of what you've been doing since you got PR status. For me, I have continued to work for a British company in England and will do so for a few more weeks. I've put the date we got PR status in the "From" field but it also asks for a "To:" date. Should I just write "Present" in this as I'm still working there?

Then in the residency obligation part of the doc it asks you to fill in "Time spent in Canada" with a "From" and "To" date and an address w total number of days. Again, we were actually travelling around the place in the 3 weeks we have spent in Canada. What should I fill in here? Should I put "Travelling - no fixed address" or should I put my friend's address in?

More generally, the whole document seems to be based around somebody proving that they have lived in Canada for some amount of time but... we haven't, we've only done a "landing" and only need to get the PRTD because our PR cards might not be ready in time.

Similarly I've checked the official "Document checklist - applying for a PRTD" and it says:

"At a minimum, you must provide 2 pieces of evidence that can show residency in Canada in the 5 years immediately before the application, such as:
employment records or pay stubs
bank statements
etc. etc."

Nothing actually fits our situation.

All help appreciated!
Old Jan 13th 2019, 1:45 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: PRTD application help

1. Put your friends address.
2. Working in UK. Time spent in Canada is the day you landed to date you left Canada.
3. Calculate number of days in Canada from date of landing until date left Canada. Put travelling.

The Visa Office will be able to tell from this info that you are a brand new PR and can meet the residency obligation. You could also attach a brief overview of what happened and that on landing you did not establish a residence in Canada. The address in Canada is a friends address where you were staying temporarily.
Old Jan 13th 2019, 4:50 am
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: PRTD application help

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration...l-document.htm
(guide)
If you have been a permanent resident for less than five (5) years
  • you must show that you will be able to meet the minimum of 730 days of physical presence in Canada within five (5) years of the date you became a permanent resident.

Last edited by Siouxie; Jan 13th 2019 at 4:54 am.