PRTD

Old Aug 21st 2022, 2:05 pm
Just Joined

rmontg is an unknown quantity at this point
Default PRTD

Hi All,

I am a Canadian PR holder and currently living outside of Canada and my PR card expired a little while back, for me to return to Canada I am supposed to apply for the PRTD (Permanent residency travel document) and from what I can see once this is approved its valid for 6 months, now I dont plan to return to Canada until next year, I am not sure exactly when as yet.

I guess my question is could I not just return to Canada on my UK passport as I would if I was visiting rather than going the PRTD route?

Thanks,
Old Aug 21st 2022, 5:24 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: PRTD

If you have no intention of returning to Canada to live then you can always renounce your PR status and once confirmed you are no longer a PR then you could travel back on your UK passport and apply for the eTA

https://ircc.canada.ca/english/infor...s/5781ETOC.asp

At the moment you are legally still a PR so would need a valid PR card or PRTD to return even for a visit. How long have you been away and do you meet the 730 day residency?
Old Aug 22nd 2022, 6:32 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rmontg
I guess my question is could I not just return to Canada on my UK passport as I would if I was visiting rather than going the PRTD route?
Not sure why you would want to tbh? Entering on the PRTD will ensure your entry is as a PR, rather than a visitor. So I'd just apply for that, make sure you give it plenty of time as there is a bit of a backlog at the mo.

As FL says above, have you spent enough time in Canada to get the PRTD/maintain PR status? Make sure you will have the 730 days required by the time you apply next year and you should be all good.

Good luck.

Last edited by christmasoompa; Aug 22nd 2022 at 7:23 am.
Old Aug 22nd 2022, 1:26 pm
Just Joined

Cheers for the replies

I have met the requirement of 730 days, my card expired last October and I have been out of the country for just over a year. Ideally I should have renewed when I was still there but its not something I thought about at the time, as mentioned above that the PRTD is a requirement I will apply for this closer to the time I plan to return.

Thanks.
Old Aug 24th 2022, 3:25 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Cheers for the replies

I have met the requirement of 730 days, my card expired last October and I have been out of the country for just over a year. Ideally I should have renewed when I was still there but its not something I thought about at the time, as mentioned above that the PRTD is a requirement I will apply for this closer to the time I plan to return.

Thanks.
OK, so if you left just over a year ago, then you've still got a while to go before your PR status is at risk, just remember to give yourself a good buffer on the time, so you don't find yourself 'landlocked' and unable to leave Canada! Just apply for your PRTD when you do plan to return next year.

Good luck.
Old Aug 26th 2022, 2:10 am
cpu
Just Joined

cpu is an unknown quantity at this point

from what I can see once this is approved its valid for 6 months
FWIW I got one a couple of weeks ago and it was valid for a year.
Old Aug 27th 2022, 9:58 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
OK, so if you left just over a year ago, then you've still got a while to go before your PR status is at risk, just remember to give yourself a good buffer on the time, so you don't find yourself 'landlocked' and unable to leave Canada! Just apply for your PRTD when you do plan to return next year.

Good luck.
Yep will apply closer to the time or at least when I have a rough month in mind when I plan to return. Thanks
Old Aug 27th 2022, 10:01 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by cpu
FWIW I got one a couple of weeks ago and it was valid for a year.
Interesting, I just checked and it still says 6 months so im wondering if they extended it due to covid with all the travel restrictions chaos etc.
Old Aug 27th 2022, 10:25 pm
cpu
Just Joined

cpu is an unknown quantity at this point

Interesting, I just checked and it still says 6 months so im wondering if they extended it due to covid with all the travel restrictions chaos etc.
I suspect that it's due to the incredible length of time it took them to give me my PR card. Multiple entry PRTD by default as well.