Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

proving your marriage isnt out of convience

Wikiposts

proving your marriage isnt out of convience

Old Dec 28th 2004, 2:59 pm
Just Joined

oJacquelineo is an unknown quantity at this point
Question proving your marriage isnt out of convience

Does anyone know what types of things they may ask for to prove your marriage is real? My fiance and I plan to get married coming up this April, and I plan to sponsor him under family class. Im afraid we wont be able to have a big huge wedding. We are just planning to go to our city hall and get a civil ceremony..we really cant afford to have a huge wedding...and unfortunatly due to the fact that his family doesnt live in Canada, and due to bigotry within my family(Im a 21 yr old caucasian Canadian, my fiance is a 33 yr old black Trinidadian man) I dont think we will have very many people coming to our wedding..so we arent even going to have very much in the way of witnesses either....so what types of proof will they want? I mean I have cards and letters and a ring he gave me, we have almost no pictures of us together though cause i hate cameras and refuse to let people take pictures of me..i think we may have 1 picture of us together....but really...not much.. is this lack of wedding and witnesses going to effect my chances? should i try to be dragging atleast a couple people to my wedding and start taking some pictures of us together? maybe we should get dressed up for our wedding and get some pics taken...i'd hate to skip the part of the wedding where i get to look puurdy
Old Dec 29th 2004, 7:54 am
Forum Regular

Jassy is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: proving your marriage isnt out of convience

Even if you have few pictures it is ok. Provide us much proof as possible, telephone bills if you have, and at least one letter from close friend or family member that was aware of your relationship. You can prove to them in other ways that this is not marriage of convenience.
Do you have your plane tickets or something like that.... maybe your credit card bills that you or him were using while visiting each other. That would work too.
All the best.

Jassy
Old Dec 29th 2004, 11:12 am
Just Joined

What about long distance phone cards? I never call him on the phone without a phone card and i have a ton of phone cards i've used because i save them and he uses phone cards too..there may have been a rare time when he's called me without a phone card which means theres a rare time when a call to Canada will show up on his bill but its very rare.
Old Dec 29th 2004, 6:23 pm
Just Joined

Oh yeah, and one more question:

How much are they going to be looking at how long we've been together?

By the time we file for sponsorship we will probably have known eachother for 10 months..maybe 11...not quite a full year... and we will probably only have been married for a month, maybe 2....
and yes, i know that isnt very long...is this going to look bad?
how much do they take that into consideration?
oh God im so worried i love him so much and i dont know what we'd do if we got rejected...
Old Dec 30th 2004, 11:05 am
Forum Regular

Jassy is an unknown quantity at this point

Try not to worry. You know that this is not a marriage of convenience and provide everything you have. It is good that you saved phone cards even thought they can not check, provide them in your application. Did you send each other greeting cards? Did you travel to see each other? Do not worry, everything will be fine.
It would be good, as I said, to provide letters from your closest friend and family that they knew about your relationship. If you have only few phone calls on your phone bill, include those with explanation that you used phone cards because it is cheaper.
If you do not have any picture with his or your family, get them now, it is good that they know about your husband now.
All the best, do not worry.
And also, did not you see that in immigration application you have a section is that arranged marriage. I guess that works too, even though yours is not.
All the best once again and do not worry.
Old Jan 1st 2005, 6:51 am
Just Joined

ok...i will do that...Thank You for your advice.