Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Proving work experience as a contractor

Proving work experience as a contractor

Old Jul 14th 2013, 11:20 pm
?

jwtimmon is a splendid one to beholdjwtimmon is a splendid one to beholdjwtimmon is a splendid one to beholdjwtimmon is a splendid one to beholdjwtimmon is a splendid one to beholdjwtimmon is a splendid one to beholdjwtimmon is a splendid one to beholdjwtimmon is a splendid one to beholdjwtimmon is a splendid one to beholdjwtimmon is a splendid one to beholdjwtimmon is a splendid one to behold
Default Proving work experience as a contractor

As part of the SINP I need to complete SINP-400-1 and show
The principal applicant’s work experience points are based on documented proof of work experience in the last 10 years. Documentation must include a letter of reference from
the supervisor or Human Resources officer printed on Company letterhead, applicant’s official work book or other official government document. A letter of reference must state job title, job duties, wage and duration of employment. The applicant must show at least one full time year, or equivalent, of work experience in their intended occupation in order to apply under the skill worker category. Max 10 points
For most of the period involved I was contracting through agencies with various companies, so basically employed at agency xxx to work at company yyy for 18 months. Company yyy would get a bill from agency xxx for my hours and in turn I was paid by agency xxx. Always self employed and operating through an umbrella company.

So do I get the references from xxx or yyy?

For each role I have a contract which details the company, duties, responsibilities, daily rate and duration of contract. I also have payslips for same. Would these be sufficient as ringing the hr dept of a large company for a reference letter for a contractor isn't going to get me anything usable. In 2 cases so far the companies have referred me back to the agency.

Just wondering if anyone else had a similar situation and how they managed it.

John
Old Oct 31st 2013, 9:41 pm
?

jwtimmon is a splendid one to beholdjwtimmon is a splendid one to beholdjwtimmon is a splendid one to beholdjwtimmon is a splendid one to beholdjwtimmon is a splendid one to beholdjwtimmon is a splendid one to beholdjwtimmon is a splendid one to beholdjwtimmon is a splendid one to beholdjwtimmon is a splendid one to beholdjwtimmon is a splendid one to beholdjwtimmon is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Proving work experience as a contractor

Just as an update to anyone looking for an answer, SINP will accept other proof such as your contract detailing your duties plus copies of all payslips for the contract showing you worked the term of the contract.

However in all my cases a phone call to the companies involved explaining why I need the particularly detailed reference produce results once they understood what is was for. In one case the reference was deliberately addressed to the PNP and CIC to ensure it wasn't reused elsewhere.