Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Proving Relationship - Communication

Proving Relationship - Communication

Old Dec 1st 2014, 8:40 pm
Forum Regular

garethr1989 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Proving Relationship - Communication

Hi,

I'm preparing my application for my fiancee to sponsor me. I'm putting the pack together now so that once we are married I can just slot the marriage certificate and photos of the day etc in the pack and send that off.

The part I am most struggling with is to show the communication between us. We typically communicate using Facetime and iMessage, so our communication won't show on our network providers itemised billings. I was able to locate software that can extract, from iPhone backup files on itunes, text history and call history. The problem is how to submit this in the pack?

Our message history had a total of about 30,000 messages which just seems ridiculous to give as I don't know how many pages of A4 that would take. The call history is easier to show, although this was not as complete as the message history due to errors during backups (only goes back to September this year but the message history goes back to March 2013 when we first started talking to each other).

How did others submit their evidence to prove the communication between you and your spouse (or common-law/conjugal partner)?
Old Dec 2nd 2014, 2:30 am
Concierge

SchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Proving Relationship - Communication

You don't need to show every single message, CIC doesn't need to see that level of detail.

What we did was I printed out phone bills 3-4 months apart, and highlighted the text entries that showed my husband's phone number. CIC can work out that it was not particularly likely that we would exchange hundreds of texts one month, and then zero for 3 months, then hundreds again, and so on.

Use a bit of common-sense when putting it together. Take maybe 10 or 15 screenshots of your iMessage history showing your communication as far back as it goes. CIC can fill in the blanks - if they want to see more, they'll ask for it.

You can then explain that Facetime doesn't have a call log or anything (I don't think), so just write a note saying you use that since you like being able to actually see each other, and since it uses your data/wifi it's free, instead of using cell minutes, hence the number not appearing on a phone bill.

If you are living together as well, the communication is less important - presumably ou mostly communicate in person! The communication bit is more important when the couple aren't living together, and in particular, are living far apart.

Hope that helps!
Old Dec 2nd 2014, 2:44 am
Forum Regular

Thanks for that info, yeah I thought it would seem unnecessary for them to see so much.

We have been living far apart for a lot of the relationship (me in the UK and her in Canada). We met online and visited each other a few times, then she came to the UK to live for 7 months this year (Jan to Aug). I am able to use my itemised billing for the period she was here because we made ordinary phone calls and some SMS messages.

The 10 to 15 screen shots idea is good for the iMessage. One thing I was able to do using the data pulled from the backup was produce an excel chart of messages per day throughout but there would be no way for them to verify this was true so I'm not sure whether to include that or not. The screenshots is better because it gives the verification, though scrolling back to the start of those messages to get the screen shot should be fun ha
Old Dec 2nd 2014, 2:45 am
Concierge

SchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond repute

I'd include the Excel sheet too. Explain how you did it, and that if they want to see more detail of the messages, you would be happy to provide it, but in the interest of not printing out 5000 pages of texts, you are just providing a summary for now. You can actually provide screenshots of a few select days to back up that the numbers tie up. You can probably put 6 screenshots on one A4 page.

Honestly, as long as it's explained and ties in with the rest of your evidence, it will be fine - don't overthink it too much!
Old Dec 2nd 2014, 2:53 am
Forum Regular

Thanks again, I will include my excel sheet then with the screenshots on some days as their way to verify it.

Ha yeah I am overthinking the whole process probably. I guess I was kind of hoping the more work I put in to make an application, that's easy to follow and has nothing missing, then the quicker it will be processed. Also she's taking on most of the work with planning the wedding so I feel I should put the time in on this
Old Dec 2nd 2014, 3:01 am
Concierge

Just use a bit of common-sense. Think about what adding more evidence actually contributes to the application. Do you actually prove much more by providing every single message, as opposed to sporadic messages every few weeks/months, when coupled with the REST of your application?

There was one user on here back in 2012 who submitted hundreds of pictures, and then pages and pages and pages of SKype chat logs. It was something like 1,000 pieces of paper. CIC sent his application back and told him to pare it down, as there was no way they were going to look through 1000 pages.

Use a bit of common-sense and judgement. Show enough evidence to clearly illustrate the point you're trying to make without going overboard. And remember no piece of evidence stands by itself, it's the combination of all evidence together that proves a point.
Old Dec 2nd 2014, 10:06 am
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Unless they have reason to doubt the genuine nature of the marriage I didn't think proving the relationship came into it in the same way it does for not being married.

I suppose it helps if one can produce stuff in the event of a query but ours didn't raise any issues. I was UK resident, she was Canadian resident, we married in Canada, I returned to the UK and the application was made two months later.

We had stuff ready if asked, but we weren't asked.
Old Dec 8th 2014, 1:37 am
Forum Regular

I can see that sometimes they may not need this and that it would save a lot of time and effort to not have to submit it.

I've already done a lot of work on it though, so I think I'm just gonna submit it with all this evidence anyway as I've managed to make it all reasonably concise and easy to go through. Hopefully that will prevent them having any need to request anything from us and delay the processing of the application.
Old Dec 8th 2014, 5:43 am
Forum Regular

sharkxpunch is a splendid one to beholdsharkxpunch is a splendid one to beholdsharkxpunch is a splendid one to beholdsharkxpunch is a splendid one to beholdsharkxpunch is a splendid one to beholdsharkxpunch is a splendid one to beholdsharkxpunch is a splendid one to beholdsharkxpunch is a splendid one to beholdsharkxpunch is a splendid one to beholdsharkxpunch is a splendid one to beholdsharkxpunch is a splendid one to behold

This thread has made me smile as my wedding is approaching in Feb and my folder is full of all the things from the last two years - from the same situation. It's good to hear