Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Proving intent to return as temporary residents

Proving intent to return as temporary residents

Old Apr 19th 2017, 12:27 pm
Forum Regular

Perpetual has a reputation beyond reputePerpetual has a reputation beyond reputePerpetual has a reputation beyond reputePerpetual has a reputation beyond reputePerpetual has a reputation beyond reputePerpetual has a reputation beyond reputePerpetual has a reputation beyond reputePerpetual has a reputation beyond reputePerpetual has a reputation beyond reputePerpetual has a reputation beyond reputePerpetual has a reputation beyond repute
Default Proving intent to return as temporary residents

Hi all

I've not been around these parts for some time. My husband and I (and our two kids) went over to Toronto in July 2015 so I could do my MA at UofT which was a one year course. I was on a study permit, he on an OWP. We left after I completed the one year program but decided very early on that we'd love to go back and I really wanted to move on to doing a PhD. So I applied. And I got in, yay! Now the crazy process of applying for our visas again, and it's later in the year this time so even more important that we do it as quickly as possible.

As part of the OWP application, there's a requirement to demonstrate an 'intent to return'. Basically they want my husband to show some kind of evidence that he intends to return home because he's a temporary resident. It's kind of absurd because this is a four year program, it's not just one year this time. It seems ridiculous that we have to prove somehow that we plan to go home because, frankly, after four years in Canada we may not! Obviously we'd get all the requisite visas or PR or whatever we may be eligible at that point. But yeah, we're having some trouble coming up with something. We are loathe to buy a return ticket when we don't even have visas to enter the country yet, and frankly buying a return ticket really means nothing as we won't be just going back after a few months. There's only so far ahead you can book a return flight, and four years is too far! The other options as given on the CIC site are 'travel itinerary' and 'medical appointment'. I really don't understand how either of these things demonstrates anything. I think they're suggesting we book a doctor's appointment and provide a letter from the doctor saying my husband will be returning home to attend which seems nearly as ridiculous as booking a pretend flight.

Does anyone have any ideas about how to deal with this particular requirement?

Thanks in advance.

Kat
Old Apr 19th 2017, 2:49 pm
BE Forum Addict

Engineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Proving intent to return as temporary residents

You may find that a return flight ticket works out cheaper or not any more expensive than a single flight ticket so would probably be the cheapest option.

Is there any reason you are applying for your spouses OWP prior to travel? Assuming you have your study permit prior to travelling and that you are UK passport holders you can apply for the OWP on arrival at the POE. The officer here will base your OWP application on your study permit so is unlikely to require an intent to return other than assurances that you know that you would need to return or swop status prior to the expiry of your student permit/ his OWP.
Old Apr 20th 2017, 1:21 am
Forum Regular

Perpetual has a reputation beyond reputePerpetual has a reputation beyond reputePerpetual has a reputation beyond reputePerpetual has a reputation beyond reputePerpetual has a reputation beyond reputePerpetual has a reputation beyond reputePerpetual has a reputation beyond reputePerpetual has a reputation beyond reputePerpetual has a reputation beyond reputePerpetual has a reputation beyond reputePerpetual has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks, yes I think you might be right. I've since heard from a friend and apparently there may be an issue with us actually boarding a flight without return tickets anyway! Qantas regulation apparently.

We are coming from Australia (I'm Aussie, husband is British but we're both dual UK/Aus citizens). When I went to apply for my study permit online the system asked me about applying for the OWP too and I just said yes, I didn't realise it was possible to bring everything and apply on the spot. Last time, when I studied in Canada in 2015-16, we did it this way, and both got our visas at border crossing with the introduction letters we were issued online after our applications were processed. So part of the application for the OWP involves proving intent to return, it's very odd but the application won't go through without something in there. It's a four year program with guaranteed full funding of tuition fees and sundries for five years so unlikely we'll be returning any time soon unless something goes horribly wrong.

thanks for the reply
Old Apr 20th 2017, 1:36 am
BE Forum Addict

Engineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Perpetual
Thanks, yes I think you might be right. I've since heard from a friend and apparently there may be an issue with us actually boarding a flight without return tickets anyway! Qantas regulation apparently.

We are coming from Australia (I'm Aussie, husband is British but we're both dual UK/Aus citizens). When I went to apply for my study permit online the system asked me about applying for the OWP too and I just said yes, I didn't realise it was possible to bring everything and apply on the spot. Last time, when I studied in Canada in 2015-16, we did it this way, and both got our visas at border crossing with the introduction letters we were issued online after our applications were processed. So part of the application for the OWP involves proving intent to return, it's very odd but the application won't go through without something in there. It's a four year program with guaranteed full funding of tuition fees and sundries for five years so unlikely we'll be returning any time soon unless something goes horribly wrong.

thanks for the reply
If you need something you could upload a letter of explanation many of us do this when applying for PR when there are areas that don't apply