Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Provincial Nominee - Must I stay with employer?

Provincial Nominee - Must I stay with employer?

Old Feb 27th 2008, 3:18 pm
Just Joined

punkrockgirl is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Provincial Nominee - Must I stay with employer?

Hi there fellow Provincial Nominees,

I was nominated in December by the Province of BC and sent off my application for Permanent Residence in mid Feb. I have been with my employer as a 'co-op' student for the past year, and they are also now the ones to provide a letter of employment for my nominee application. Now I need to leave temporarily (for 10 weeks) to complete my MBA program (I came here for grad school). I'm not sure my current employer will give me the time off, so I might have to resign.

Does anyone know if I leave my current employer before I get my Permanent Residence (if and when, fingers crossed!), will that invalidate my Permanent Residence application? I know the Province's nomination is dependent on me working for my employer. I was hoping I could go and do the MBA program, (which to complicate matters further is in Paris, France), then return once I get my PR, and 'land'.

I know I can't work for anyone else on my current work permit, so I would just not work in Canada until I got my PR - at the current rate it is taking about 8-10 months which would take me to about October.

Anyone been in a similar situation who can provide any answers?

Thank you, and all the best with your applications.
Old Feb 27th 2008, 3:39 pm
Now on Vancouver Island

Judy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Provincial Nominee - Must I stay with employer?

You didn't state your occupation, so I don't know if I have this right.

However, the Application Process page for Strategic Occupations states:
Withdrawal of Provincial Nomination

The Province of BC may withdraw its Certificate of Nomination at any time prior to CIC issuing a Permanent Resident Visa if:
  • The nominee or any accompanying dependent is deemed inadmissible by CIC for medical, security or criminality reasons
  • The Province is advised that information provided in the nominee’s visa application is false or misrepresented
  • The nominee leaves their employment in BC, changes employers or is deemed to be no longer living in BC.
x
Old Feb 28th 2008, 12:35 am

Andrew Miller is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Provincial Nominee - Must I stay with employer?

More and more job offer searchers find out that growing numbers of employers are very reluctant to go through PNP process - not a surprise as they are being stiffed too often lately by applicants interested only in speeding their PR process...

No offense, but punkrockgirl knew in December about leaving Canada to France...