Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Provincial Nominee entry level/semi skilled worker

Provincial Nominee entry level/semi skilled worker

Old Mar 19th 2014, 4:28 am
Forum Regular

Sammilc has much to be proud ofSammilc has much to be proud ofSammilc has much to be proud ofSammilc has much to be proud ofSammilc has much to be proud ofSammilc has much to be proud ofSammilc has much to be proud ofSammilc has much to be proud ofSammilc has much to be proud ofSammilc has much to be proud ofSammilc has much to be proud of
Default Re: Provincial Nominee entry level/semi skilled worker

PNP helpline assures me my application will be refused...now at a loss what to do. Totally devastated
Old Mar 19th 2014, 4:49 am
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sammilc
PNP helpline assures me my application will be refused...now at a loss what to do. Totally devastated
Oh no!

What a blow, I am so sorry. I presume it's because of the wages. Could you talk to your manager and see if it would be possible to get a pay raise to take you to that 'magic' figure?

You mentioned that you have a degree and that you speak French as well as English, do you have experience in any other type of work (before you came to Canada)?

Could you change your occupation and see if you could get a skilled job offer somewhere and apply under Federal Skilled Worker with job offer (FSW2)? http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/immigra.../apply-who.asp It can be any skilled job provided you have done that job before for a minimum of 1 year at some time during the last 10 and it comes under the classification of A/O/B on the Matrix. If you could, you could work with your IEC until the August and hopefully by then you would have AIP and be able to get a bridging open work permit whilst you are waiting for PR to go through.

Last edited by Siouxie; Mar 19th 2014 at 4:54 am.
Old Mar 20th 2014, 1:36 am
Forum Regular

Sammilc has much to be proud ofSammilc has much to be proud ofSammilc has much to be proud ofSammilc has much to be proud ofSammilc has much to be proud ofSammilc has much to be proud ofSammilc has much to be proud ofSammilc has much to be proud ofSammilc has much to be proud ofSammilc has much to be proud ofSammilc has much to be proud of

I have worked as a restaurant manager for a total of one year, consecutive but in two different restaurants (6 months back in the uk followed by 6 months here in canada). I don't think it will qualify as it wasn't consecutive in one job
Old Mar 20th 2014, 3:47 am
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

I have worked as a restaurant manager for a total of one year, consecutive but in two different restaurants (6 months back in the uk followed by 6 months here in canada). I don't think it will qualify as it wasn't consecutive in one job

I believe it could potentially qualify if you can get the offer of a full time permanent job if you worked one job then started the other.

Read the specific regulations here and see if you can qualify: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/resourc.../op06c-eng.pdf

The full-time work experience requirement for applicants in the Federal Skilled Worker Class may be met by the equivalent in part-time paid work experience (e.g., more than one part-time job held simultaneously or one or more part-time jobs held over the equivalent of at least one year of full-time work). However, the part-time work experience must have been accumulated over a continuous period pursuant to R75(2)(a).

Work experience can be calculated by adding up the number of continuous weeks of full-time (or equivalent in part-time) paid work (i.e., 30 hours per week in one full-time job, a combined total of at least 30 hours per week in more than one part-time job, 15 hours per week in one part-time job over a period of two years, etc) in one or more skilled occupations at Skill Type 0 Managerial occupations), Skill Level A (Professional occupations) or B (Technical occupations and skilled trades) of NOC 2011.

Note: Work in excess of 30 hours of paid work over a period of one week cannot compensate for less than one year of full-time work experience.

Last edited by Siouxie; Mar 20th 2014 at 3:52 am.
Old Mar 20th 2014, 4:37 pm
Forum Regular

The trouble is that I wouldn't be able to provide any paperwork for the first job (back in the UK) as it was my parents' business and I wasn't on the payrole. I am looking into studying now to buy me a bit more time
Old Mar 20th 2014, 4:39 pm
Banned

The trouble is that I wouldn't be able to provide any paperwork for the first job (back in the UK) as it was my parents' business and I wasn't on the payrole. I am looking into studying now to buy me a bit more time
Oh dear.

Have you considered also looking for a job that is A/O/B classified? With the offer of a job, you could apply for FSW2 or PNP. Could the hotel you work for have any jobs going you would qualify for?

Old Apr 2nd 2014, 2:01 am
Forum Regular

Wouldn't I need to be working in that job/ a related job for a year? I thought a job offer wouldn't be enough?

I'm going to see an immigration lawyer tomorrow to try and get all this cleared up. It's just such a frustrating situation!
Old Apr 2nd 2014, 2:59 am
Banned

Wouldn't I need to be working in that job/ a related job for a year? I thought a job offer wouldn't be enough?

I'm going to see an immigration lawyer tomorrow to try and get all this cleared up. It's just such a frustrating situation!
You would need prior experience but it wouldn't need to have been in Canada.

Could you not apply for jobs that are O/A/B classification that you have worked in before? I wasn't suggesting you necessarily apply with your current job.
Minimum Work Experience Requirements:

You must have at least one year of continuous full-time (or the equivalent in continuous part-time) paid work experience in the primary occupation you specify in your application;

You must have had this experience within the last 10 years; and

Your work experience must be in an occupation listed in Skill Type 0 (managerial occupations), Skill Level A (professional occupations) or B (technical occupations and skilled trades) of the Canadian National Occupational Classification (NOC).
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/informa...7TOC.asp#eg72b

Paying for an Immigration Consultant isn't going to help in any way if you don't qualify for the programs, unfortunately. It would be wasted money (they are not cheap) unless you know that you can qualify.

Old Apr 2nd 2014, 3:09 am
Forum Regular

I've only every worked in this job! I only finished university in 2012 and since then i've worked one year as a restaurant manager (though as I said earlier, not all in one job and only 6 months 'provable' work) and the rest of the time as a server. I'm really just going to see the lawyer to find out if there are any options I haven't exhausted yet, but I think it seems like my only option to stay in the country is to study
Old Apr 2nd 2014, 5:02 am
Banned

I've only every worked in this job! I only finished university in 2012 and since then i've worked one year as a restaurant manager (though as I said earlier, not all in one job and only 6 months 'provable' work) and the rest of the time as a server. I'm really just going to see the lawyer to find out if there are any options I haven't exhausted yet, but I think it seems like my only option to stay in the country is to study
Oh dear, sorry I didn't realise.

If you have gone through all the requirements for all of the more than 50 different routes and you don't think you qualify for any of them, then your only other option will be attending a post-secondary course (but make sure that it is an approved educational facility) - but that will cost you a lot of money, plus you will need to prove that you have funds to support yourself for the whole time the course runs.

Paying an immigration lawyer isn't really going to help, but if you decide you must see one please make sure that they are approved before you meet them and don't sign anything until you have had time to read through all the small print - there are a lot of scam artists about. They must either be member of ICCRC or else members in good standing with the Law Society. http://www.iccrc-crcic.ca/home.cfm?setLanCookie=En

Have you looked into one of the other Provinces that don't require a job offer? http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/immigra.../apply-who.asp

Have you looked into the 'Start Up' program? http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/helpcen....asp?q=645&t=6

Old Apr 3rd 2014, 4:59 pm
Forum Regular

I wasn't intending to use him as a representative, it was just a one-off consultation to see what my options were. His name's David Aujla and he was very comprehensive and proficient, but did essentially confirm what I had already worked out: that to stay in canada, studying would be my only option. It's a shame but that's it! If i were to try and apply under any other option (FSW etc) I would have to train for a qualifying career and so I'd have to go back to some kind of school anyway so I might as well be developing my skills in hospitality, which is the job i'm already in.
Old Jul 6th 2014, 7:42 am
Just Joined

Maarkk is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi I was reading The tread and was wondering did you find any solution in the end?
Im a server aswell and looking at options!
Old Jul 7th 2014, 10:03 pm
Forum Regular

Mark: no I never found a solution. going back to the UK when my visa expires.

Are you living in BC?
Old Jul 8th 2014, 5:35 am
Just Joined

Maarkk is an unknown quantity at this point

Yes, I'm in Vancouver just got here recently so already checking out the possibilities cause I'm in no hurry to go back to Europe
Anyway I wish you all the best in the UK or if you find a way for Canada!
Old Jul 8th 2014, 2:31 pm
Just Joined

Bainesy is a splendid one to beholdBainesy is a splendid one to beholdBainesy is a splendid one to beholdBainesy is a splendid one to beholdBainesy is a splendid one to beholdBainesy is a splendid one to beholdBainesy is a splendid one to beholdBainesy is a splendid one to beholdBainesy is a splendid one to beholdBainesy is a splendid one to beholdBainesy is a splendid one to behold

Wow reading this thread I feel your pain. I had a job that was hopefully going to promote me to the position I needed for my PNP and they never did and with my current role I can't apply.

Gutted to hear you're heading back to the UK. I'm trying everything I can to see if I can stay.