Provincial Certification

Old Nov 12th 2014, 11:38 pm
Forum Regular

Kastell will become famous soon enough
Default Provincial Certification

Hi all, hope someone can point me in the right direction, am looking at the possibility of getting Provincial Certification for my hubbie as a Carpenter in Nova Scotia, as a way to get our Visa. I seem to be going around in circles, do you have to sit an exam (practical / written) or just prove you can do the job via past jobs, etc. He has no formal qualifications, as did a traditional apprenticeship but has many years experience. Has anyone on here gone down that route? Thanks in advance.
Old Nov 12th 2014, 11:47 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Provincial Certification

Originally Posted by Kastell
Hi all, hope someone can point me in the right direction, am looking at the possibility of getting Provincial Certification for my hubbie as a Carpenter in Nova Scotia, as a way to get our Visa. I seem to be going around in circles, do you have to sit an exam (practical / written) or just prove you can do the job via past jobs, etc. He has no formal qualifications, as did a traditional apprenticeship but has many years experience. Has anyone on here gone down that route? Thanks in advance.
Blimey, that's 3 threads on the same subject this morning, must be something in the water!

From what I understand, he has to prove he has a certain number of hours, and then apply to challenge the exam (which he must do in Canada).

As I've said on the other thread, the FST program is changing in January to an Expression of Interest system (basically, you'll apply and see if you get picked by an employer or province) which is likely to make it much harder for most, so you might want to try and get an application in before the end of December if you can get the provincial cert by then.

HTH, best of luck.
Old Nov 13th 2014, 4:34 am

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

He will have to prove the required number of work hours to be eligible to challenge the exam. Register with the training authority in your province of choice, apply to sit the exam, take the exam in Canada.
Old Nov 13th 2014, 6:08 am
Forum Regular

Oh it seems we have to get a wriggle on then! Not sure if we've got enough time now though as just starting. So with this new system in January, you can't choose a province then?
Old Nov 13th 2014, 7:45 am
Forum Regular

Just been reading the requirements for the Trade Qualification Program, seems fairly straightforward if you've been employed but complicated if your self-employed & have been for a while & have no formal qualifications :-( Also see you need a fair amount of savings for a family of 4 for settlement funds unless you've got a job offer - going around in circles again!!! Has anyone any idea if it would it be helpful to get the Red Seal prior to applying under the new system in January, would it help your case then?
Old Nov 13th 2014, 8:52 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Just been reading the requirements for the Trade Qualification Program, seems fairly straightforward if you've been employed but complicated if your self-employed & have been for a while & have no formal qualifications :-( Also see you need a fair amount of savings for a family of 4 for settlement funds unless you've got a job offer - going around in circles again!!! Has anyone any idea if it would it be helpful to get the Red Seal prior to applying under the new system in January, would it help your case then?
Personally, yes, I'd get it underway. You'll need it just to work in Canada anyway.

As for the proof of funds, they're actually very low, most families spend a lot more than that on getting set up in Canada even if they've got a job to go to (plus of course another big chunk for the application process and the move). So do save as much over that as possible, in addition to the money it'll take you to get there. For a family of four, a regularly quoted figure for the whole thing is around £25-30k, you can find threads with more info on if you want to have a hunt.

HTH, good luck.
Old Nov 13th 2014, 10:18 pm
Forum Regular

Ok, will contact the Training Officer in NS & get that process underway. Re proof of funds, we will have much more than required, it's just tied up in property & assets atm, our property is on the market & most assets will be sold nearer the time of moving. Do the CIC accept property as proof of funds, we could get valuations typed up?
Old Nov 13th 2014, 11:56 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Ok, will contact the Training Officer in NS & get that process underway. Re proof of funds, we will have much more than required, it's just tied up in property & assets atm, our property is on the market & most assets will be sold nearer the time of moving. Do the CIC accept property as proof of funds, we could get valuations typed up?
If you're applying via London, then yes they do for the initial stages (London is the only visa office that does - I note your location is France, so if you're applying via Paris, then you can't use equity). If it is London, then you'd need a mortgage statement and a couple of valuations from estate agents to prove the equity.

Do note though, that when you come to 'land' to activate PR in Canada, the cash must be instantly accessible i.e. in a bank account, so you'd need to have sold the property by then.

HTH.