Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Providing list of travels from last 10 years???

Providing list of travels from last 10 years???

Old Sep 28th 2010, 1:24 pm
Forum Regular

powerwrap is just really nicepowerwrap is just really nicepowerwrap is just really nicepowerwrap is just really nicepowerwrap is just really nicepowerwrap is just really nicepowerwrap is just really nicepowerwrap is just really nice
Default Providing list of travels from last 10 years???

In order to provide a list of all travels within the last 10 years the only way I have been able to obtain this information is by going through our passports.

By doing this I have been able to obtain the majority but there are some entries in the passports that are not detailed (i.e, no destination, no departure date), therefore my question is do we leave these entries off the list or will this raise questions, or do we list them on the form but provide a written explanation advising that we are unable to remember/confirm details etc??

Thanks everyone!

M
Old Sep 28th 2010, 1:27 pm
BE Forum Addict

rubberduckofdeath has a reputation beyond reputerubberduckofdeath has a reputation beyond reputerubberduckofdeath has a reputation beyond reputerubberduckofdeath has a reputation beyond reputerubberduckofdeath has a reputation beyond reputerubberduckofdeath has a reputation beyond reputerubberduckofdeath has a reputation beyond reputerubberduckofdeath has a reputation beyond reputerubberduckofdeath has a reputation beyond reputerubberduckofdeath has a reputation beyond reputerubberduckofdeath has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Providing list of travels from last 10 years???

I went through photos and stuff too which helped.
Old Sep 28th 2010, 1:47 pm
BE Enthusiast

shazza69 is an unknown quantity at this point

i thought this form had been scraped
Old Sep 28th 2010, 2:31 pm
Forum Regular

quietgiroth is just really nicequietgiroth is just really nicequietgiroth is just really nicequietgiroth is just really nicequietgiroth is just really nicequietgiroth is just really nicequietgiroth is just really nicequietgiroth is just really nicequietgiroth is just really nicequietgiroth is just really nice

I can't remember how many trips I had I think 176 was the final number, I'm sure I missed a few in Europe. Which were not stamped...thank God I had kept all my old passports!
I don't know how else you would get all the details. Some trips we guessed. I have email since 1995 so that helped, my Mum has always printed off and kept any email I've ever sent her. Which also helped. I'm sure with a couple we went with best guesses. I went with the theory that you put everything that you know of to the best of your knowledge.
Old Sep 28th 2010, 2:41 pm
Island life at last

helcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by shazza69
i thought this form had been scraped
It is stuck on the bottom of the Visa Office checklist, so it isn't obvious but it was still there in August.

IMM5562 - yep, just checked and it is still there!

Last edited by helcat12; Sep 28th 2010 at 2:45 pm. Reason: Added check for current forms
Old Sep 28th 2010, 4:02 pm
FSW Cat 1

amrskipro is an unknown quantity at this point

Well the instructions are pretty specific so either you are providing a complete list or providing an incomplete list with a written explaination that trips within the EU generally do not provide a stamp and for some reason you cannot remember when or where you went for every trip but you have made your best effort.

You could also choose to provide an incomplete list without an explaination and take a chance that their record checking will be more thorough than yours and you will end up with a rejection letter (worst case) or a 'please explain' letter (best case).

I can see the CIC officer wondering what kind of person does not know where and when he or she travelled overseas in this day and age (considering you have to declare countries visited for many countries visitors visas)? But 176 trips in ten years is a lot and perhaps very hard to remember if you are not a diary/ work schedule keeper.

I have found that honesty was the best policy when dealing with CIC and CBSA.
Old Sep 28th 2010, 4:10 pm
Island life at last

helcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by amrskipro
Well the instructions are pretty specific so either you are providing a complete list or providing an incomplete list with a written explaination that trips within the EU generally do not provide a stamp and for some reason you cannot remember when or where you went for every trip but you have made your best effort.

You could also choose to provide an incomplete list without an explaination and take a chance that their record checking will be more thorough than yours and you will end up with a rejection letter (worst case) or a 'please explain' letter (best case).

I can see the CIC officer wondering what kind of person does not know where and when he or she travelled overseas in this day and age (considering you have to declare countries visited for many countries visitors visas)? But 176 trips in ten years is a lot and perhaps very hard to remember if you are not a diary/ work schedule keeper.

He must be like me, then. Four trips abroad in the last 10 years!!
If you work abroad regularly, though as friends of mine do, or if you are holiday abroad several times a year, it probably doesn't even cross your mind to record it all and keep it in case someone asks you about it years later.
If they can't be bothered to record it in your passport, which they often can't, how is anyone ever to know?
Old Sep 28th 2010, 5:31 pm
BE Forum Addict

CanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond repute

Interesting. The Your Travels form is required by London but not by Buffalo.
Old Sep 28th 2010, 5:45 pm
Island life at last

Originally Posted by CanadaJimmy
Interesting. The Your Travels form is required by London but not by Buffalo.
Really?
This is why it is so important to consult the Visa Office specific checklist carefully and not just take what others tell you, I suppose. They might not be aware of the differences between their situation and yours.
Always best to check for yourself!
Old Sep 28th 2010, 7:04 pm
Forum Regular

powerwrap is just really nicepowerwrap is just really nicepowerwrap is just really nicepowerwrap is just really nicepowerwrap is just really nicepowerwrap is just really nicepowerwrap is just really nicepowerwrap is just really nice

Originally Posted by quietgiroth
I can't remember how many trips I had I think 176 was the final number, I'm sure I missed a few in Europe. Which were not stamped...thank God I had kept all my old passports!
I don't know how else you would get all the details. Some trips we guessed. I have email since 1995 so that helped, my Mum has always printed off and kept any email I've ever sent her. Which also helped. I'm sure with a couple we went with best guesses. I went with the theory that you put everything that you know of to the best of your knowledge.
Thanks All.

Managed to work out all trips abroad from passport, only thing I am missing is the return date on each and holidays ranged from 5 days to 2 weeks plus so cannot be exactly sure of the return date.

Quietgiroth, seeing as you had so many did you guess on the return dates if you could not be sure, or did you just state that you could not confirm??

M
Old Sep 28th 2010, 7:05 pm
Forum Regular

quietgiroth is just really nicequietgiroth is just really nicequietgiroth is just really nicequietgiroth is just really nicequietgiroth is just really nicequietgiroth is just really nicequietgiroth is just really nicequietgiroth is just really nicequietgiroth is just really nicequietgiroth is just really nice

Originally Posted by amrskipro
I can see the CIC officer wondering what kind of person does not know where and when he or she travelled overseas in this day and age

Well it's things like being in Portugal and going to Spain...or Monaco and going to France for the day...remembering the exact day when you are on Holiday is sometimes hard. My theory was they wouldn't be so concerned with this, however trips to China, Indonesia, Malaysia, Middle East ect. they would be. Yes I agree honesty is the best policy, however for all I know I may have missed a day trip in the EU. There is no deception in my dates/answers, I have answered to the best of my ability.
What person doesn't know where and when...is the attitude of someone who hasn't spend their whole life traveling. Eg the HR people in most companies.
It gets very confusing, when you have countries like the states who like to stamp over their own stamps. Or dates have worn off, or were never clear to begin with. 10 years is a long time to keep information about every trip you ever took. 10 years ago do you know when you went to the supermarket or had a meeting in your office? (for me 10 years is 6 passports!)
In this day and age, the government should just know where and when you have been places.

I guessed. I'm 99.9% certain they were right. There are a few road trips where I may have crossed the boarders after midnight...and few flights that might have been delayed on the way back to the UK.
It is something that really bothered me, because I know the attitude of people who don't travel a lot. I would go by the instructions on the form. No point in getting rejected because of what someone on the internet said vs the offical line.

Last edited by quietgiroth; Sep 28th 2010 at 7:19 pm.
Old Sep 28th 2010, 7:28 pm
BE Forum Addict

CanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond repute

In this day and age, the government should just know where and when you have been places.
Wait... what?
Old Sep 28th 2010, 7:31 pm
Island life at last

Originally Posted by CanadaJimmy
Wait... what?
Yeah, I know what you mean there!! Big Brother isn't here quite to that extent yet, I don't think.(I hope not, anyway!!!)
Old Sep 28th 2010, 7:36 pm
Forum Regular

Lol, I would hope they are! With all the fingerprinting, body scanning ect. The least they could know is which countries you have traveled to in your life.
Last time I went to the states they drilled me about my travels, when I wasn't sure the woman just went to her computer and told me the details I couldn't remember.
I'm fairly certain they are there, just how much they admit it is the question...anyway how do you expect the CIC officer to get the information if it isn't all kept on a computer somewhere?

Last edited by quietgiroth; Sep 28th 2010 at 8:14 pm.
Old Sep 28th 2010, 8:36 pm
Island life at last

Lol, I would hope they are! With all the fingerprinting, body scanning ect. The least they could know is which countries you have traveled to in your life.
Last time I went to the states they drilled me about my travels, when I wasn't sure the woman just went to her computer and told me the details I couldn't remember.
I'm fairly certain they are there, just how much they admit it is the question...anyway how do you expect the CIC officer to get the information if it isn't all kept on a computer somewhere?
We're not all as anal as the Yanks, you know!
I have never been fingerprinted and quite frankly, anyone who bodyscans me deserves everything he gets

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.