Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

prove that I have adequate knowledge of English?

prove that I have adequate knowledge of English?

Old Jan 22nd 2013, 7:28 pm
Forum Regular

lilbiteb is a jewel in the roughlilbiteb is a jewel in the roughlilbiteb is a jewel in the roughlilbiteb is a jewel in the roughlilbiteb is a jewel in the rough
Default prove that I have adequate knowledge of English?

I've searched and searched but couldn't find the answer to this one!

I'm just wondering what proof British born English speakers have provided to prove adequate knowledge of English for citizenship?

I left school in 1979 without any certificates (went straight into a job!). So I'm wondering if I have to take an English course or test to have proof that I can speak English? That seems a bit nuts, but hey, sometimes you've gotta jump through those hoops!
Old Jan 22nd 2013, 8:05 pm
Binned by Muderators

JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: prove that I have adequate knowledge of English?

For citizenship? No formal proof. You just have to be able to read the book about Canada they will send you and answer some questions on it. Not hard at all.

If you mean to apply for pemanent residency through the skilled worker route then you have to take, and pass, an IELTS exam. A bit harder, apparently, but with a bit of practice it should not be a problem.
Old Jan 22nd 2013, 8:45 pm
Professional Cat herder

Zoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond repute

I thought the rules for citizenship have changed recently
Hence the question.
Worth doing a search on here as I'm fairly sure it's come uP recently
Old Jan 22nd 2013, 11:01 pm
PMM
Lost in BE Cyberspace

PMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

Originally Posted by Zoe Bell
I thought the rules for citizenship have changed recently
Hence the question.
Worth doing a search on here as I'm fairly sure it's come uP recently

You are correct the rules have changed.

If you are between 18 and 54, you will have to send proof of your ability to speak and listen in English or French with your citizenship application.

Some examples of this proof can be:

The results of a CIC-approved third-party test; or
Transcripts or a diploma from a secondary or post-secondary education in English or French, in Canada or abroad; or Evidence of achieving Canadian Language Benchmark (CLB)/Niveau de comp├ętence linguistique canadien (NCLC) level 4 or higher in certain government-funded language training programs.

Please see the full list of documents we will accept as proof of the language requirement for citizenship.
Old Jan 22nd 2013, 11:58 pm
Binned by Muderators

JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute

One lives and learns. Mrs JonboyE would have had fun with this if it was a requirement when we became citizens.

Last edited by JonboyE; Jan 23rd 2013 at 12:00 am.
Old Jan 23rd 2013, 12:55 am
Professional Cat herder

Zoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond repute

Technically it was. Part of the paperwork checking process at your test is meant to be " satisfying the officer that you have an adequate command of english ( or French)"
This usually forms part of the " conversation" they have with you while checking your passport and stuff
The prOblem ( as ever) was the lack of consistency with this approach