Prospects for Speech Therapists

Old Nov 28th 2015, 1:59 am
Just Joined

eshne is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Prospects for Speech Therapists

Hi, I was wondering if any Speech Therapists could give me an idea of the job prospects for UK trained SLTs moving to Canada? I've taken a look on Job Bank and Indeed to get a feel for what's out there, but wondered what real experiences have been like for anyone who has moved to Canada. Thanks in advance.
Old Nov 28th 2015, 2:22 am
Forum Regular

Jackandvictor has a brilliant futureJackandvictor has a brilliant futureJackandvictor has a brilliant futureJackandvictor has a brilliant futureJackandvictor has a brilliant futureJackandvictor has a brilliant futureJackandvictor has a brilliant future
Default Re: Prospects for Speech Therapists

Hi
I am now working in BC after working for the NHS for 17 years. Now been here 3 years and working both in the private sector and in a school district.
Prospects are good. They often advertise with Masters required but I got my qualifications assessed to be equivalent and haven't had any problems.
Getting your qualifications recognised was a hassle but worth the effort!
HTH
Old Nov 28th 2015, 4:08 am
BE Forum Addict

fulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond repute

There is a mutual recognition agreement between UK and Canada. I would read it and see if it can help you with the process to work as slp in Canada.
Old Dec 1st 2015, 1:19 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Jackandvictor
Hi
I am now working in BC after working for the NHS for 17 years. Now been here 3 years and working both in the private sector and in a school district.
Prospects are good. They often advertise with Masters required but I got my qualifications assessed to be equivalent and haven't had any problems.
Getting your qualifications recognised was a hassle but worth the effort!
HTH
That's wonderful, Jackandvictor Do you think it would be considerably harder for an SLT with far less experience than 17 years? I know the immigration info I've read previously states at least a year, but in reality when looking for employment, do you think it would be a major hindrance?
Old Dec 1st 2015, 1:21 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by fulwood
There is a mutual recognition agreement between UK and Canada. I would read it and see if it can help you with the process to work as slp in Canada.
I assume that would be on the SAC website? I will go take a look. Thanks, fulwood
Old Dec 1st 2015, 1:36 pm
Forum Regular

Jackandvictor has a brilliant futureJackandvictor has a brilliant futureJackandvictor has a brilliant futureJackandvictor has a brilliant futureJackandvictor has a brilliant futureJackandvictor has a brilliant futureJackandvictor has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by eshne
I assume that would be on the SAC website? I will go take a look. Thanks, fulwood
I wouldn't get your hopes up about the MRA. I did when it came out but it only recognises you being in good standing with MRCSLT and doesn't help equate your qualifications. You still have to get through all the hoops for this!
I wouldn't think my years of experience had much bearing on me getting in; all they wanted was the qualifications assessed and deemed to be equivalent and an immigration status to say you are legally able to work in Canada. I got my qualifications assessed through IQAS in Alberta. They only look at your undergraduate hours for the hours piece through any of the provinces. The fact I had done 17 years of post graduate work had no influence on what I submitted.
HTH
Old Dec 1st 2015, 2:46 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Jackandvictor
I wouldn't get your hopes up about the MRA. I did when it came out but it only recognises you being in good standing with MRCSLT and doesn't help equate your qualifications. You still have to get through all the hoops for this!
I wouldn't think my years of experience had much bearing on me getting in; all they wanted was the qualifications assessed and deemed to be equivalent and an immigration status to say you are legally able to work in Canada. I got my qualifications assessed through IQAS in Alberta. They only look at your undergraduate hours for the hours piece through any of the provinces. The fact I had done 17 years of post graduate work had no influence on what I submitted.
HTH
That's a great help. Thanks, Jackandvictor