Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Pros and cons of temp work permit whilst applying for PR

Pros and cons of temp work permit whilst applying for PR

Old Aug 10th 2006, 7:53 pm
BE Enthusiast

sinope has a reputation beyond reputesinope has a reputation beyond reputesinope has a reputation beyond reputesinope has a reputation beyond reputesinope has a reputation beyond reputesinope has a reputation beyond reputesinope has a reputation beyond reputesinope has a reputation beyond reputesinope has a reputation beyond reputesinope has a reputation beyond reputesinope has a reputation beyond repute
Default Pros and cons of temp work permit whilst applying for PR

Just wondered what difference it can/does make to applying for a skilled worker visa whilst working in Canada on a temp work visa and is it even possible? I can't find anything in the CIC site that seems to be relevant to this scenario and no one else on the forum seems to have gone down this route.

It would suit my partner and I as there are some good jobs he can apply for and I think getting the temp visa is pretty straightforward plus there would be relocation allowances plus we are in Canada much sooner. I am sure I must be missing something fundamental otherwise everyone would be doing it this way and I would be really grateful if someone could enlighten me.
Old Aug 10th 2006, 8:19 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute
Thumbs down Re: Pros and cons of temp work permit whilst applying for PR

Originally Posted by sinope
Just wondered what difference it can/does make to applying for a skilled worker visa whilst working in Canada on a temp work visa and is it even possible? I can't find anything in the CIC site that seems to be relevant to this scenario and no one else on the forum seems to have gone down this route.

It would suit my partner and I as there are some good jobs he can apply for and I think getting the temp visa is pretty straightforward plus there would be relocation allowances plus we are in Canada much sooner. I am sure I must be missing something fundamental otherwise everyone would be doing it this way and I would be really grateful if someone could enlighten me.
Obtaining a work permit isn't as easy as you think - Have you got a potential employer that is prepared to submit the appropriate documents to HRSDC ? If so, have they advertised the vacancy for at least 3 months on a national basis and not found a canadian willing to take the job ? If not, you will not even get to the starting blocks of the race.

My understanding of the process is that, if the employer confirms that the temporary position will be made permanent once PR is granted, the PR application may be expedited, otherwise, it will trundle along at the same pace as all of the other PR applications. No doubt one of the experts will correct me if I am wrong
Old Aug 10th 2006, 8:22 pm
BE Enthusiast

Reghuraj is a name known to allReghuraj is a name known to allReghuraj is a name known to allReghuraj is a name known to allReghuraj is a name known to allReghuraj is a name known to allReghuraj is a name known to allReghuraj is a name known to allReghuraj is a name known to allReghuraj is a name known to allReghuraj is a name known to all
Default Re: Pros and cons of temp work permit whilst applying for PR

Originally Posted by sinope

It is perfectly possible to apply for PR as a skilled worker while in Canada on temp work visa(work permit). If you make the application properly with all relevant documents you will even get extra points for the fact that u already have a job and that u are already in Canada.

In fact lots of people have applied for PR while on Work permit.

regs