Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Pros and Cons of Dual Citizenship (English-born and Canadian resident)

Pros and Cons of Dual Citizenship (English-born and Canadian resident)

Old Jan 11th 2018, 1:20 am
Forum Regular

Donnykins is a jewel in the roughDonnykins is a jewel in the roughDonnykins is a jewel in the roughDonnykins is a jewel in the roughDonnykins is a jewel in the rough
Default Pros and Cons of Dual Citizenship (English-born and Canadian resident)

We have been living in Canada since May 2014, and are about to apply for Canadian Citizenship. My husband wants dual citizenship, but what are the pros and cons to dual citizenship please?
Old Jan 11th 2018, 1:41 am
Nuther day in paradise.ca

magnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Pros and Cons of Dual Citizenship (English-born and Canadian resident)

No cons

Pros are you can use whatever passport for either country UK or Canada and go to the shortest line up.

No more PR residence requirements

You can join ISIS and tha Canada Gov will welcome you back with open arms and help you return to society :@)
Old Jan 11th 2018, 1:50 am
BE Forum Addict

Davita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Pros and Cons of Dual Citizenship (English-born and Canadian resident)

If your current citizenship permits dual-citizenship then, when taking Canadian citizenship, you will automatically be a dual-citizen.
I've been a dual UK/Canada citizen since I took the Canadian oath in 1995 and found no pros nor cons.
I travel everywhere on my Canadian passport as I let my UK (expensive) passport expire...no problem.
The one area where I perhaps needed to maintain my UK citizenship was I had contributed to the UK National Insurance for 22 years prior to leaving and subsequently Immigrating to Canada and, to maintain my UK OAP, I voluntarily contributed until reaching age 65...I now receive the UK OAP every month.
I'm not sure but if I applied to sever my UK citizenship they would probably cut me from that program. It therefore wasn't in my interest to do that.
Old Jan 11th 2018, 2:30 am
BE Forum Addict

Hurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Davita
I'm not sure but if I applied to sever my UK citizenship they would probably cut me from that program. It therefore wasn't in my interest to do that.
Not correct IMHO. I have never been a British citizen, but have 'paid in' the UK NI scheme and I am entitled to a maximum UK pension. Naught to do with citizenship, to do with how many years you paid in.
Old Jan 11th 2018, 2:38 am
BE Forum Addict

Hurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Donnykins
We have been living in Canada since May 2014, and are about to apply for Canadian Citizenship. My husband wants dual citizenship, but what are the pros and cons to dual citizenship please?
He would have to go out of his way to relinquish British citizenship - why bother.

No cons.

As for pro's, well why would you give away a parachute that you already have on a plane?
Old Jan 11th 2018, 2:38 am
BE Forum Addict

Davita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hurlabrick
Not correct IMHO. I have never been a British citizen, but have 'paid in' the UK NI scheme and I am entitled to a maximum UK pension. Naught to do with citizenship, to do with how many years you paid in.
OK!....I stand corrected but I did say I wasn't sure.....I just injected that in case it was a con that I was unaware of so thanks for the correction...that helps.
Old Jan 11th 2018, 8:52 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Cons :
Cost of applying for Citizenship and a Canadian passport
With dual citizenship if living outside of Canada and wanting to fly back to Canada then must have a valid Canadian passport.
Canadian Passport only ranks 5th on the Passport Power index whereas UK ranks 4th. Basically what that means is there is one country where you would need to apply for a visa on a Canadian passport but not the UK one.

Pros:
The biggest one of having dual citizenship is that you cannot be deported from Canada if you ever got certain criminal convictions. If only a PR of Canada then you could get deported.

Neutral : Canada has a dark blue passport the UK has a purple one with the words European Union on the cover.
If Canada played England in a competition where the National Anthems were played you could sing along to both as you are a citizen of both.
Use of either consulate services if stuck or in trouble in another country that has only one Embassy/Consulate of one country.
Old Jan 11th 2018, 9:13 am
Sidecar Falcon

DigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by magnumpi

You can join ISIS and tha Canada Gov will welcome you back with open arms and help you return to society :@)

But can they stop the UK government from having you taken out by an SAS sniper or bombing campaign? That's the key question.
Old Jan 11th 2018, 11:37 am
Forum Regular

mahdawg has a reputation beyond reputemahdawg has a reputation beyond reputemahdawg has a reputation beyond reputemahdawg has a reputation beyond reputemahdawg has a reputation beyond reputemahdawg has a reputation beyond reputemahdawg has a reputation beyond reputemahdawg has a reputation beyond reputemahdawg has a reputation beyond reputemahdawg has a reputation beyond reputemahdawg has a reputation beyond repute

As we're on dual citizenship, can you have tri citizenship? Between UK, Ireland & Canada or will I have to choose to ditch one?
Old Jan 11th 2018, 12:02 pm
Sidecar Falcon

DigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mahdawg
As we're on dual citizenship, can you have tri citizenship? Between UK, Ireland & Canada or will I have to choose to ditch one?
You can have as many as you like as long as you qualify for each of them. It only becomes an issue when one of them is with a country that bans dual citizenship or you want to run for public office.
Old Jan 11th 2018, 12:04 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mahdawg
Im pretty sure we have one poster on here who has quad (4) Citizenships is that right Maryland Ned?
Old Jan 11th 2018, 12:08 pm
Professional Cat herder

Zoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond repute

you can have as many as you like as far as Canada/ UK is concerned. other countries may have their own rules but the three you mention are a fairly usual combo and don't pose a problem
Old Jan 11th 2018, 1:23 pm
Forum Regular

Bella Cullen has a reputation beyond reputeBella Cullen has a reputation beyond reputeBella Cullen has a reputation beyond reputeBella Cullen has a reputation beyond reputeBella Cullen has a reputation beyond reputeBella Cullen has a reputation beyond reputeBella Cullen has a reputation beyond reputeBella Cullen has a reputation beyond reputeBella Cullen has a reputation beyond reputeBella Cullen has a reputation beyond reputeBella Cullen has a reputation beyond repute

You can vote as a citizen and can't as a PR. One of the main reasons I want to get my citizenship when we're eligible Oh and to be able to check in online for flights going anywhere else except the UK.
Old Jan 11th 2018, 1:25 pm
Sidecar Falcon

Originally Posted by Bella Cullen
You can vote as a citizen and can't as a PR. One of the main reasons I want to get my citizenship when we're eligible
Itching to get rid of Trudeau or make sure he stays in office?
Old Jan 11th 2018, 1:37 pm
Forum Regular

mahdawg has a reputation beyond reputemahdawg has a reputation beyond reputemahdawg has a reputation beyond reputemahdawg has a reputation beyond reputemahdawg has a reputation beyond reputemahdawg has a reputation beyond reputemahdawg has a reputation beyond reputemahdawg has a reputation beyond reputemahdawg has a reputation beyond reputemahdawg has a reputation beyond reputemahdawg has a reputation beyond repute

Much obliged everyone! Actually forgot I even had got Irish Citizenship a few years ago. But if I don't have to get rid then it shall be a nice keepsake

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.