Property

Old Sep 18th 2008, 1:20 am
Just Joined

pimpa is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Property

Hi folks,
Does Canada allow a foreigner with no ties to Canada whatsoever buy a property in Canada and if yes does owning that property give you the right to remain in Canada?

I know what I am going to ask isn't related to Canada but I really found no other proper forum for it: Out of curiosity, how is it in other countries concerning the right to remain when buying a property there? like the US, EU countries, Switzerland or Australia/NZ?
Old Sep 18th 2008, 1:33 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Biiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Property

Yes you can buy, with a few caveats like not being able to own more than however many number of acres in Alberta, but generally yes, buy what you like.

Owning property doesn't give you any right to enter or remain in Canada though.
Old Sep 18th 2008, 1:46 am

Andrew Miller is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by pimpa
Out of curiosity, how is it in other countries concerning the right to remain when buying a property there? like the US, EU countries, Switzerland or Australia/NZ?
Other developed countries you just listed also don't provide such option. You can buy property in those countries too, but you won't gain any immigration or entry benefits this way.

There are some other countries (some with close to American living standards) that provide immigration options through bank deposit of property purchase.

If you qualify financially and have required business and/or management experience you may gain Canadian PR status through Investor class.

Last edited by Andrew Miller; Sep 18th 2008 at 1:54 am.
Old Sep 18th 2008, 2:39 am
Just Joined

pimpa is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Andrew Miller

There are some other countries (some with close to American living standards) that provide immigration options through bank deposit of property purchase.
What countries are they? Could you point me to more information? The only thing I found is UAE which I am not sure how actual is and I would not be interested in anyway.
Old Sep 18th 2008, 4:35 am
Now on Vancouver Island

Judy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond repute

What countries are they? Could you point me to more information? The only thing I found is UAE which I am not sure how actual is and I would not be interested in anyway.
When I researched this issue some time ago, Panama struck me as a promising candidate.

You may be able to find out more information at www.EscapeArtist.com .
x
Old Sep 18th 2008, 6:31 am
Weirdo Latin Dude

Jules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond repute

Also try looking at Ecuador, Uruguay and Chile they offer PR very easily to foreign property investors and they are reasonably good places to live as well.
Old Sep 18th 2008, 3:34 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jules Europe
Also try looking at Ecuador, Uruguay and Chile they offer PR very easily to foreign property investors and they are reasonably good places to live as well.
What about Costa Rica, Argentina or southern parts of Brazil?

I wouldn't be so sure about Ecuador, at least not as a first choice.

Australia, New Zealand, Britain, Canada and the United States all provide migration options for qualified investors, traders, and business persons. Sometimes there are skill-based migration options too.

Last edited by JAJ; Sep 18th 2008 at 3:36 pm.
Old Sep 18th 2008, 8:37 pm
Weirdo Latin Dude

Jules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JAJ
What about Costa Rica, Argentina or southern parts of Brazil?

I wouldn't be so sure about Ecuador, at least not as a first choice.

Australia, New Zealand, Britain, Canada and the United States all provide migration options for qualified investors, traders, and business persons. Sometimes there are skill-based migration options too.

If the OP wants a european type lifestyle then Argentina, Uruguay, parts of southern Brazil and Argentina certainly fit the bill. Costa Rica like Panama are full of Americans so this could be of interest as well but they also have extreme heat temperatures to contend with. Certain parts of Ecuador are ideal with a wide choice of climate.

OP bear in mind the very low wages paid in these countries if you are looking to work.