Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Proof of proficiency in second language.....

Proof of proficiency in second language.....

Old Oct 9th 2008, 8:38 pm
BE Enthusiast

seanyg is a splendid one to beholdseanyg is a splendid one to beholdseanyg is a splendid one to beholdseanyg is a splendid one to beholdseanyg is a splendid one to beholdseanyg is a splendid one to beholdseanyg is a splendid one to beholdseanyg is a splendid one to beholdseanyg is a splendid one to beholdseanyg is a splendid one to beholdseanyg is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Proof of proficiency in second language.....

I've been liaising with the immigration officer in Winnipeg for a few months now, and all our emails have been in French and I've also rang her and had conversations in French. Plus, I've lived and worked in France and have straight A's for GCSE and A-Levels, and also have a Certificate of Higher Education in French Business Studies and Translating from Bournemouth Uni (I just did 1 year for health reasons). When we first applied for the PNP (back in June) she said I wouldn't need to do the French test as it's obvious to her that I'm fluent in French, but now these new rules have come in she said she's not sure if I'll still be exempt.

I've got a huge exam phobia and go to pieces in those sorts of situations (it wasn't so bad when I was at school but it got worse at Uni), so if I am called to do a test then I'd rather withdraw my claim for French ability than take the test. I don't need the points anyway as I'll be PNP, I only claimed points for French at the beginning because we were going to go down the federal (lonnnnng) route (this was before we found out about the PNP).

Anita
Old Oct 9th 2008, 9:07 pm
Forum Regular

ESSEXHAMMER has a brilliant futureESSEXHAMMER has a brilliant futureESSEXHAMMER has a brilliant futureESSEXHAMMER has a brilliant futureESSEXHAMMER has a brilliant futureESSEXHAMMER has a brilliant future

I am really confused now as to what we should do?

I have a Wife and two young daughters aged 5 and 2 so at the beginning the PR SW route was the best option for us.

I am having second thoughts now about this route and think that maybe i should look into getting in on a TWP.

My concern would be though that i would be taking my whole family over and if heaven forbid i lose my job then the TWP becomes invalid and either i have to get another job asap or i ahve to leave the country with my children hopefully settled in at school etc.

I am getting worried that our dram of a new and better life is slipping away.

Dan
Old Oct 9th 2008, 9:23 pm
Citizenship Nov 10 2016!!

nikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ESSEXHAMMER

I have a Wife and two young daughters aged 5 and 2 so at the beginning the PR SW route was the best option for us.

I am having second thoughts now about this route and think that maybe i should look into getting in on a TWP.

My concern would be though that i would be taking my whole family over and if heaven forbid i lose my job then the TWP becomes invalid and either i have to get another job asap or i ahve to leave the country with my children hopefully settled in at school etc.

Dan
Hi Dan

There are still lots of options available to you, as you have said the TWP route which you can look to convert to PR. You will gain extra points for the arranged employment aspect, which may mean you don't need to worry about the points for language

Another option is the employment route again, but to combine this with the PNP programme for the relevant province. This does not work through a points based system, although similar criteria are reviewed. This is a fairly quick process and will ultimately end in PR status.

Do you have a province in mind that you want to settle? If so you could have a look into the PNP route and see what the options are.

Either way a recce will be a really good idea to enable you to get out there and start networking etc for employment.

Good luck
Old Oct 9th 2008, 9:33 pm
Forum Regular

ESSEXHAMMER has a brilliant futureESSEXHAMMER has a brilliant futureESSEXHAMMER has a brilliant futureESSEXHAMMER has a brilliant futureESSEXHAMMER has a brilliant futureESSEXHAMMER has a brilliant future

Hi Nikki

We are looking at Ontario and more specifically the Guelph area as we have some family (cousins) who live out there.

I will have a look into the PNP route as like i mentioned earlier i really only focused on the SW route to begin with.

I really appreciate your help, as i am struggling to get my head around what to do for the best.

Many thanks

Dan
Old Oct 9th 2008, 9:47 pm
Citizenship Nov 10 2016!!

nikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Nikki

We are looking at Ontario and more specifically the Guelph area as we have some family (cousins) who live out there.

I will have a look into the PNP route as like i mentioned earlier i really only focused on the SW route to begin with.

I really appreciate your help, as i am struggling to get my head around what to do for the best.

Many thanks

Dan
No Probs, here's a link to the Ontario PNP website

http://www.ontarioimmigration.ca/eng...NPNominees.asp
Old Oct 9th 2008, 10:25 pm
Forum Regular

jhorsfield30 is on a distinguished road

Dan
Dont panic, give it its course, they may not need it, I've sent a request in on email(ugh), for clarification on the whole GCSE, a-level, private tuition route,
I will do the TEF if I really have no choice, but not otherwise. Like others in this forum, I hate exams, and did enough for 10 years of education.
I have been having some interesting discoveries though, the TEF only came in 2002, I have been told, and a quick thought, if we all learn 'original' french and pass the EXAM in it, can we even talk to french canadians with it, as the two languages are technically different.
Old Oct 9th 2008, 10:29 pm
Forum Regular

Why can t they just let all of us on BritishExpats.com in and then we would all be happy.

Nothing that is worth having is simple!!!

Thanks for allt he support, that is what makes this site fantastic.

Let us know what your response is Jon.

Dan
Old Oct 9th 2008, 10:36 pm
Forum Regular

jhorsfield30 is on a distinguished road

Why can t they just let all of us on BritishExpats.com in and then we would all be happy.

Nothing that is worth having is simple!!!

Thanks for allt he support, that is what makes this site fantastic.

Let us know what your response is Jon.

Dan
Yeah, membership of britishexpats.com means automatic pass on all immigration, I would vote for that!
I'll keep you all up to date, even if I fail, someone can learn from my mistake eh?
I've also got a date in for the TEF, now just packing in the online lessons(just in case).
I was chatting to a canadian(moved out in 63), with the pound deal to immigrate from London -> Toronto, even he couldn't believe the current situation, he words were "what do you need that french for?", anyone ever talked to people who immigrated back then, it would be interesting to hear what their experience is compared to what we're all having to go through now?
Jon
Old Oct 10th 2008, 1:20 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond repute

When i applied i put down that i had the most basic of French which is very true as i only really done this at school.
Originally Posted by Jim Humphries
If you put down "basic" in French and provided no other evidence then they most likely gave you no points for it.
Originally Posted by adele
I don't understand why if you are claiming some level of proficiency (and therefore points) you thought you wouldn't be asked for proof of it??? You have to provide proof for all points you claim in some form or another,
Just to keep the debate going, but not actually clarify anything ( ), I "claimed" 2 points in my tallying up for basic French when I applied in 2005 under the Skilled Worker application.

In amongst all my notes, I advised that I had "A" level French - and included my certificate - and admitted that my level was now 'basic' - and that if my application was a make-or-break on the 2 points I had claimed, I was more than willing to sit the language proficiency test. I left it at that - and never heard any more! The visas arrived in due course - so I never knew whether they just poo-pooed my 'basic' French and discounted it, or not!!
Old Oct 11th 2008, 12:41 am
Account Closed

Silverkat is an unknown quantity at this point

I passed the TEF as I claimed a high level in French, if you need to know more about how it works...let me know.
I also bought the book and CD which are a great help. The questions get harder as you go. It gives you the perfect dummy run of the test.
By the way I'm selling them if anyone is interested !

You have to sit the optional sections as well.

If you claim that you have a certain level in French, you have to pass this test and provide immigration the original exam certificate with the rest of your papers.
Find a test center and ask about the delay in sitting the test and also about getting the results back in time to send it all off !! I found a big difference in prices and delays between centers. I waited 3 weeks to sit it (in Paris) and about a month for the results.