Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Proof of proficiency in second language.....

Proof of proficiency in second language.....

Old Oct 7th 2008, 4:38 am
BE Enthusiast

seanyg is a splendid one to beholdseanyg is a splendid one to beholdseanyg is a splendid one to beholdseanyg is a splendid one to beholdseanyg is a splendid one to beholdseanyg is a splendid one to beholdseanyg is a splendid one to beholdseanyg is a splendid one to beholdseanyg is a splendid one to beholdseanyg is a splendid one to beholdseanyg is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Proof of proficiency in second language.....

Presumably if the person comes in on a PNP then they don't need to prove their language skills as they don't need the points (aren't these more for the federal application?)...?

Cheers, Anita
Old Oct 7th 2008, 7:02 am
Forum Regular

jhorsfield30 is on a distinguished road

Just federal as far as I know,

Does anyone know if you just do the compulsary exams on the TEF, or you have to do the optional aswell,
Old Oct 7th 2008, 7:16 am
BE Forum Addict

Location: Vancouver, BC (originally from Huddersfield, W. Yorkshire)
adele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jhorsfield30
Just federal as far as I know,

Does anyone know if you just do the compulsary exams on the TEF, or you have to do the optional aswell,
Hi Jon

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/informa...uides/EG74.asp

French language testing organizations

TEF: Test d’évaluation de français (in French only)
The Paris Chamber of Commerce and Industry administers these tests.

Note: You must submit results from the following TEF tests as proof of your French language skills:

* compréhension écrite
* compréhension orale
* expression écrite
* expression orale

You definitely need to take the optional parts as well...good luck!

P.S. The lexique et structure part is included in this but the score you get in that section ISN'T counted for the purposes of Canadian immigration assessment (thankfully!)

Adele
Old Oct 7th 2008, 7:22 am
Forum Regular

Cool Re: Proof of proficiency in second language.....

Originally Posted by adele
Hi Jon

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/informa...uides/EG74.asp

French language testing organizations

TEF: Test d’évaluation de français (in French only)
The Paris Chamber of Commerce and Industry administers these tests.

Note: You must submit results from the following TEF tests as proof of your French language skills:

* compréhension écrite
* compréhension orale
* expression écrite
* expression orale

You definitely need to take the optional parts as well...good luck!

P.S. The lexique et structure part is included in this but the score you get in that section ISN'T counted for the purposes of Canadian immigration assessment (thankfully!)

Adele
To Adell,
Thanks alot! Really appreciate that, i've been chasing up london and manchester for dates, will have to brush off the rust for a last ditch attempt at points.
jon
Old Oct 7th 2008, 7:58 am
Account Closed

fledermaus is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Jim Humphries
You would have to take the TEF to show your ability in French. It is not easy. Check out the websites that cover it for more info.
I don't think it is that tricky to gain a couple of points for basic French. I would have got 3 or 4 points with my marks, even allowing for getting 0 in listening as I couldn't hear the tape (am deafened).

People, especially French people, laugh at my attempts to speak the language and I managed OK, so really don't be intimidated just study as hard as you can and you will get some points.

It feels hard when you are taking the test as it measures ability up to completely fluent, so there are bound to be questions that the majority of us cant answer. The questions get increasingly harder as you go through each module, so once I got out of my depth I wasted no more time on that section and moved on.
Old Oct 7th 2008, 8:03 am
BE Forum Addict

adele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fledermaus
I don't think it is that tricky to gain a couple of points for basic French. I would have got 3 or 4 points with my marks, even allowing for getting 0 in listening as I couldn't hear the tape (am deafened).

People, especially French people, laugh at my attempts to speak the language and I managed OK, so really don't be intimidated just study as hard as you can and you will get some points.

It feels hard when you are taking the test as it measures ability up to completely fluent, so there are bound to be questions that the majority of us cant answer. The questions get increasingly harder as you go through each module, so once I got out of my depth I wasted no more time on that section and moved on.
I agree, I managed 6 points worth - and am really crap, can hardly remember any French now, especially since learning Norwegian! Nothing to lose, go for it and take the test!
Old Oct 8th 2008, 10:16 pm
Forum Regular

ESSEXHAMMER has a brilliant futureESSEXHAMMER has a brilliant futureESSEXHAMMER has a brilliant futureESSEXHAMMER has a brilliant futureESSEXHAMMER has a brilliant futureESSEXHAMMER has a brilliant future

Hi

When i applied i put down that i had the most basic of French which is very true as i only really done this at school.

How do they check your proficiency in this??

I am aware of the TEF Certificate, but do they actually ask for this when you
get your 90 day letter through?

I have heard that they can do a telephone interview to ascertain this, is this true?

Will they definitely not process my application without proof of this?

I am a bit confused, so any help would be appreciated.
Old Oct 8th 2008, 10:23 pm
Forum Regular

I have just had a 90 day through, wanting either written statement of french language or the TEF, after this its either a yes/no or medical I suppose,
I did find it strange though, having put down basic in french, that they would still ask for the TEF, but there we go, just trying to chase down a date, and brush off the old skills, even though I do suck big time,

jon
Old Oct 9th 2008, 3:23 am

Jim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond repute

If you put down "basic" in French and provided no other evidence then they most likely gave you no points for it.
Old Oct 9th 2008, 3:35 am
Forum Regular

ESSEXHAMMER has a brilliant futureESSEXHAMMER has a brilliant futureESSEXHAMMER has a brilliant futureESSEXHAMMER has a brilliant futureESSEXHAMMER has a brilliant futureESSEXHAMMER has a brilliant future

They did not ask for any certificates and proof when you first apply though.

Do you then have to provide this when you get your 90 day letter?

I am getting a bit concerned as i have not taken any tests to prove this and i would have to then start an evening course to try to pick up from what i learnt at school 18 years ago.
Old Oct 9th 2008, 3:38 am
Forum Regular

I have just had a 90 day through, wanting either written statement of french language or the TEF, after this its either a yes/no or medical I suppose,
I did find it strange though, having put down basic in french, that they would still ask for the TEF, but there we go, just trying to chase down a date, and brush off the old skills, even though I do suck big time,

jon
Hi Jon

Did you send any proof when you sent in the original application or like me did you not think that they would ask for this, as it has been a while since i learnt French?

Are you going to have to take the TEF exam to prove this then??

Dan
Old Oct 9th 2008, 3:53 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by ESSEXHAMMER
Hi Jon

Did you send any proof when you sent in the original application or like me did you not think that they would ask for this, as it has been a while since i learnt French?

Dan
Nope didn't except for the GCSE and A-level I had completed, and learndirect. Considering I was only going for basic didn't think it would have to be an issue.
Given the advice everyone has given, I will try to take the exam if I can find somewhere to do it in the next 3 months, otherwise, send in as much supporting evidence as possible, and go from there..

When did you send your original app in Dan?
jon
Old Oct 9th 2008, 9:14 am
BE Forum Addict

Nope didn't except for the GCSE and A-level I had completed, and learndirect. Considering I was only going for basic didn't think it would have to be an issue.
Given the advice everyone has given, I will try to take the exam if I can find somewhere to do it in the next 3 months, otherwise, send in as much supporting evidence as possible, and go from there..

When did you send your original app in Dan?
jon
Oh Jon - forgot to mention the other day but remember to allow time for your results certificate to come through. After taking the TEF you can get your results over the phone in about a week, but the certificate takes longer to come through (about 2-3 weeks roughly I think, but can't remember exactly) - you won't get the points if CHC haven't the attest!

Found anywhere offering it soon yet?

Adele
Old Oct 9th 2008, 9:17 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by ESSEXHAMMER
Hi Jon

Dan
I don't understand why if you are claiming some level of proficiency (and therefore points) you thought you wouldn't be asked for proof of it??? You have to provide proof for all points you claim in some form or another, why would French ability be any different? And besides, it clearly states in the forms about submitting TEF results as proof of proficiency...
Old Oct 9th 2008, 7:54 pm
Forum Regular

The whole procedure is very complicated and this is something that i have missed.

My application went in Aug 07, so at least i have until the end of next year (wishful thinking) to brush up and take the test.

I am starting to think that going over on a TWP is the best idea but i am unsure of how to go about arranging this.

I assume a recce trip to meet with agencies etc would be the best move.

Dan

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.