Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Proof of proficiency in second language.....

Proof of proficiency in second language.....

Old Jun 7th 2008, 7:55 am
Home Sweet Home

Biiba has much to be proud ofBiiba has much to be proud ofBiiba has much to be proud ofBiiba has much to be proud ofBiiba has much to be proud ofBiiba has much to be proud ofBiiba has much to be proud ofBiiba has much to be proud ofBiiba has much to be proud ofBiiba has much to be proud ofBiiba has much to be proud of
Question Proof of proficiency in second language.....

Hi - yes it's me again!!

Just filling in skilled worker application (as mentioned on previous thread).

Does anyone know whether 'O' Level French gained in 1988 would be sufficient proof of basic abilities in French language?

The 'O' level involved a written test based on reading and understanding a comprehension then providing written answers to written questions. An oral exam with external examiner involving having a conversation in french and answering and asking questions with the examiner. An aural exam ie listening to a tape recording of a french conversation/interview and then being asked questions in french then writing the answers down in French.

I can still get by when I visit France although don't remember everything....

Thanks for any advice....
Old Jun 7th 2008, 7:59 am
Analyst for hire

Ben W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Proof of proficiency in second language.....

No. A qualification gained 20 years ago isn't sufficient to show any abilities in the language whatsoever. The only way to get the point is to sit an approved French ability examination. I can't remember the name of the official one.
Old Jun 7th 2008, 8:02 am
Home Sweet Home

Biiba has much to be proud ofBiiba has much to be proud ofBiiba has much to be proud ofBiiba has much to be proud ofBiiba has much to be proud ofBiiba has much to be proud ofBiiba has much to be proud ofBiiba has much to be proud ofBiiba has much to be proud ofBiiba has much to be proud ofBiiba has much to be proud of
Smile Re: Proof of proficiency in second language.....

Originally Posted by Ben W Bell
No. A qualification gained 20 years ago isn't sufficient to show any abilities in the language whatsoever. The only way to get the point is to sit an approved French ability examination. I can't remember the name of the official one.
Thanks for answering so quickly Ben. I will look into this and make sure I pass.

Kind regards,
Old Jun 7th 2008, 8:05 am

Jim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond repute

You would have to take the TEF to show your ability in French. It is not easy. Check out the websites that cover it for more info.
Old Jun 7th 2008, 8:07 am
Home Sweet Home

Smile Re: Proof of proficiency in second language.....

Thanks Jim,

I will follow this up!

Kind regards,
Old Jun 7th 2008, 8:23 am
Analyst for hire

Ben W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jim Humphries
You would have to take the TEF to show your ability in French. It is not easy. Check out the websites that cover it for more info.
TEF, that's the one. Couldn't remember the name of it.
Old Jun 8th 2008, 6:35 am
BE Forum Addict

Location: Vancouver, BC (originally from Huddersfield, W. Yorkshire)
adele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond repute

Yes the TEF is the test you need to take to prove French language ability. I took it at the Alliance Francaise in Manchester in April 2006, I think the cost was just under £100 at the time, and I managed to get marks equiavalent to 6 out of the 8 available points for the 2nd official language (basic for speaking = 1 point, basic for listening = 1 point, moderate for reading = 2 points & moderate for writing = 2 points)

My French experience up to then wasn't much really: GCSE grade A in 1997, so I was very rusty - to get it up to scratch I took an evening class in A/S French to get me going, but then instead of taking the A/S exam I took the TEF instead. I might add that the TEF book and cassettes proved seriously invaluable - knowing what to expect in terms of the format of the sections is crucial in my opinion. (I do still have the book and cassettes so if anyone would like to purchase them let me know )

Happy studying and good luck!
Old Jun 8th 2008, 6:41 am

tinytears is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by adele
(I do still have the book and cassettes so if anyone would like to purchase them let me know )

Happy studying and good luck!
How much do you want for them? I am currently brushing up on my very very rusty french.
Old Jun 8th 2008, 8:27 pm
Forum Regular

Moggiemiss is a name known to allMoggiemiss is a name known to allMoggiemiss is a name known to allMoggiemiss is a name known to allMoggiemiss is a name known to allMoggiemiss is a name known to allMoggiemiss is a name known to allMoggiemiss is a name known to allMoggiemiss is a name known to allMoggiemiss is a name known to allMoggiemiss is a name known to all

I did the TEF test in London in September 2005. I think the cost was about £120 but then add on the cost of the train fare, etc....

My level of French was 2nd level with the Open University which I was currently studying, having done 0 and A level, 2 years post-A level at college in the 1970s.

My friends say I am quite fluent in French (although probably grammatically not so hot!) and I have good understanding and reading skills.

I found the TEF quite rigorous but it was worth it as I scored 6/8 points.
Old Jun 10th 2008, 9:33 am
BE Forum Addict

adele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by adele
the TEF book and cassettes proved seriously invaluable - knowing what to expect in terms of the format of the sections is crucial in my opinion. (I do still have the book and cassettes so if anyone would like to purchase them let me know )
In the interests of fairness I will sell the book and cassettes to the first person to PM me from now - for £15 to include book, cassettes and postage within the UK. Note that the sample answer grid has been used and torn out of the book, but otherwise the book is clean - just well thumbed!

Please let me know asap - I'm going to work in Norway from next week until mid September so want it all sorted out and to get them in the post before then.

Thanks
Adele

P.S. I also have a Bescherelle verb conjugation book for sale in mint condition if anyone's interested!

Last edited by adele; Jun 10th 2008 at 9:40 am.
Old Jun 11th 2008, 1:14 am
Home Sweet Home

Talking Re: Proof of proficiency in second language.....

Thanks to everybody for your help and advice!
Old Oct 3rd 2008, 8:56 am
Forum Regular

jhorsfield30 is on a distinguished road

Anyone know if they accept GCSE'S and A-levels as proof of french language capability?
Thanks
jon
Old Oct 3rd 2008, 8:58 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by jhorsfield30
Anyone know if they accept GCSE'S and A-levels as proof of french language capability?
Thanks
jon
No, take the TEF - it's the only conclusive proof

Bonne chance!

Adele
Old Oct 7th 2008, 3:07 am
Just Joined

Maria10 is an unknown quantity at this point

I have a question. The proof of proficiency is for main applicant or for every member of the family?
Old Oct 7th 2008, 4:23 am

Jim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond repute

It is the main applicant who gets points for official language skills

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.