Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

proof of medical for "in Canada" PR application/common-law

proof of medical for "in Canada" PR application/common-law

Old Jul 17th 2008, 5:57 pm
Just Joined

jimallen8 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: proof of medical for "in Canada" PR application/common-law

Originally Posted by annabella
Thanks Andrew. I thought I was following the checklist, hence the confusion. OK, yes, doctor should provide me with a 1017 SCL but he didn't and didn't know that he should as I already mentioned on a previous post. Nowhere on the IMM 1017 SCL is it noted that it should be submitted in two copies with one returned as proof of medical. This wouldn't be poss anyway would it, on day of medical as results of analyses one has to undergo are not available on the day of the medical so doc couldn't fully complete the form without those results. Also in Guide for an "in Canada" application and under the list of what one has to take to the doctor the form IMM 1017 SCL is referred to in the singular as "it", not mentioning again that it should be submitted in more than one copy, retaining the second copy as proof. (I am presuming that this is what should be done.) All that is mentioned is that the doc is responsible for despatch of results to the authorities. The first I heard of needing a Copy 2 is from the checklist, after I had the medical. I am surprised that the DMP is not aware of this when he is regularly carrying out these medicals. He is sending me a photocopy of completed and signed IMM 1017 SCL by post at my request, but still says that receipts are enough. Don't you agree it is just a little puzzling?

I had my medical in Canada while visiting, but applied from "outside Canada". Subsequently found out "outside Canada" apps require "Copy 2" of 1017, but "inside" Canada requires only receipts. My DMP assumed, I suppose, that I was applying "inside". Calls to Imigration and careful reading of guidelines have revealed all this after the fact, but it was incumbent on the DMP to clarify things. My application was returned with a letter requesting "Copy 2", Apparently Copy 2 is coded to match the original and once the original has been sent off the only recourse is to do another medical. IF SOMEONE OUT THERE KNOWS A WAY AROUND DOING A REPEAT MEDICAL JUST TO SATISFY THIS REQUIREMENT I would like to know. Thank you