Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

proof of medical for "in Canada" PR application/common-law

proof of medical for "in Canada" PR application/common-law

Old Mar 3rd 2008, 12:08 pm
Account Closed

annabella is an unknown quantity at this point
Unhappy proof of medical for "in Canada" PR application/common-law

Please advise. Underwent medical last week here in Ontario. Paid fees and obtained receipts. Have photocopies of receipts, having sent off originals for reimbursement to my medical fund. Neither doctor nor receptionist offered me any other document to prove I had undergone medical. Shortly making application for PR from within Canada as common-law, being sponsored. What do I add to application file to prove I have had a medical? I had submitted the form IMM 1017 in one copy and doctor completed it and kept it without offering a copy. I am now dazed and confused!
Old Mar 3rd 2008, 12:28 pm
BE Enthusiast

G586 has a reputation beyond reputeG586 has a reputation beyond reputeG586 has a reputation beyond reputeG586 has a reputation beyond reputeG586 has a reputation beyond reputeG586 has a reputation beyond reputeG586 has a reputation beyond reputeG586 has a reputation beyond reputeG586 has a reputation beyond reputeG586 has a reputation beyond reputeG586 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: proof of medical for "in Canada" PR application/common-law

Originally Posted by annabella
Please advise. Underwent medical last week here in Ontario. Paid fees and obtained receipts. Have photocopies of receipts, having sent off originals for reimbursement to my medical fund. Neither doctor nor receptionist offered me any other document to prove I had undergone medical. Shortly making application for PR from within Canada as common-law, being sponsored. What do I add to application file to prove I have had a medical? I had submitted the form IMM 1017 in one copy and doctor completed it and kept it without offering a copy. I am now dazed and confused!
Not expert on this but I've always understood it is the doctor that sends the forms off to CIC...
Old Mar 3rd 2008, 12:39 pm

bazzz is an unknown quantity at this point

After my medical the receptionist said something to me about keeping my receipts as proof of my medical - although I didn't need them for my skilled worker application. So I guess the receipts might be all that you need - are they reasonably detailed?
Old Mar 3rd 2008, 12:44 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Biiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond repute

That sounds right for in-Canada spousal - see page 30 of the guide.
Old Mar 3rd 2008, 1:00 pm

Jim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond repute

Just use photocopies of your receipt for that purpose.
Old Mar 3rd 2008, 1:06 pm

Andrew Miller is an unknown quantity at this point

Out of topic - why, oh why in-Canada process?

Can't you go through sponsorship from abroad route? It is irrelevant that you are in Canada, you can still be sponsored from abroad.
Old Mar 4th 2008, 4:37 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by G586
Not expert on this but I've always understood it is the doctor that sends the forms off to CIC...
Yes, doc sends them off to Ottawa. When I queried this, and whether they would meet up with a PR application sent either through Vegreville or Mississauga depending on an 'in' or an 'out' application, he said there was no problem.
Thanks you for responding.
Old Mar 4th 2008, 4:39 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by bazzz
After my medical the receptionist said something to me about keeping my receipts as proof of my medical - although I didn't need them for my skilled worker application. So I guess the receipts might be all that you need - are they reasonably detailed?
Yes, photocopies of receipts are detailed.
Thanks for your response.
Old Mar 4th 2008, 4:44 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Biiiiink
That sounds right for in-Canada spousal - see page 30 of the guide.
Thanks for response. I rang doctor who seemed surprised that more than the offiicial receipts are needed and he is doing these immigration medicals two days a week every week. Once lab results are in they will send me a copy of IMM 1017, filled in. It does clearly state on doc checklist that this form is needed, but it is not clear either on the form nor in the instructions that a copy is needed. Doc's office says that original (of course) has to go direct to immigration authorities in Ottawa.
Old Mar 4th 2008, 4:45 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Jim Humphries
Just use photocopies of your receipt for that purpose.
Thank you for your reply. You will see from my other responses here that even the doctor believed that receipts are enough.
Old Mar 4th 2008, 4:55 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Andrew Miller
Out of topic - why, oh why in-Canada process?

Can't you go through sponsorship from abroad route? It is irrelevant that you are in Canada, you can still be sponsored from abroad.
Thanks again Andrew. Have to admit I am sitting on the fence over this at moment. I have been strongly advised by others on BE, and you are really underlining it, and that is to go through London. The snag is, as I have already mentioned, that if we are called to London for an interview that would raise big problems with us. I am wondering if interview could be held here where I am living with my partner/sponsor. I have ordered from CIC site "region specific" forms in order to perhaps go the London route.
Old Mar 4th 2008, 5:55 pm

Andrew Miller is an unknown quantity at this point

It does clearly state on doc checklist that this form is needed, but it is not clear either on the form nor in the instructions that a copy is needed. Doc's office says that original (of course) has to go direct to immigration authorities in Ottawa.
Follow the checklist - it says clearly that Proof of medical examination (Copy 2 of the Medical Report: Section A - EDE) should be included in the package. Doctor should provide you with one at the end of examination. It is not the copy of plain IMM 1017 used for medicals by spouses/partners sponsored from abroad - it is Medical Report: Section A - EDE listed as IMM 1017 SCL.

If your doctor provides you with it then fine - the receipt for fee you paid to doctor is irrelevant. .
Old Mar 5th 2008, 9:16 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Andrew Miller
Follow the checklist - it says clearly that Proof of medical examination (Copy 2 of the Medical Report: Section A - EDE) should be included in the package. Doctor should provide you with one at the end of examination. It is not the copy of plain IMM 1017 used for medicals by spouses/partners sponsored from abroad - it is Medical Report: Section A - EDE listed as IMM 1017 SCL.

If your doctor provides you with it then fine - the receipt for fee you paid to doctor is irrelevant. .
Thanks Andrew. I thought I was following the checklist, hence the confusion. OK, yes, doctor should provide me with a 1017 SCL but he didn't and didn't know that he should as I already mentioned on a previous post. Nowhere on the IMM 1017 SCL is it noted that it should be submitted in two copies with one returned as proof of medical. This wouldn't be poss anyway would it, on day of medical as results of analyses one has to undergo are not available on the day of the medical so doc couldn't fully complete the form without those results. Also in Guide for an "in Canada" application and under the list of what one has to take to the doctor the form IMM 1017 SCL is referred to in the singular as "it", not mentioning again that it should be submitted in more than one copy, retaining the second copy as proof. (I am presuming that this is what should be done.) All that is mentioned is that the doc is responsible for despatch of results to the authorities. The first I heard of needing a Copy 2 is from the checklist, after I had the medical. I am surprised that the DMP is not aware of this when he is regularly carrying out these medicals. He is sending me a photocopy of completed and signed IMM 1017 SCL by post at my request, but still says that receipts are enough. Don't you agree it is just a little puzzling?
Old Mar 5th 2008, 12:16 pm

Jim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond reputeJim Humphries has a reputation beyond repute

Continued lack of clarity in the information on the CICs' website starts with which guide is correct for your application type. The guide is clear if you find the right one and many are lost right at that point.
Old Mar 6th 2008, 2:55 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Jim Humphries
Continued lack of clarity in the information on the CICs' website starts with which guide is correct for your application type. The guide is clear if you find the right one and many are lost right at that point.
Thanks for writing Jim. I do agree that once the right Guide is sorted out for application route one is using it is pretty clear. However, there are still albeit small, confusing idiosyncracies. Keeps the old grey matter on the move I suppose and that can't be bad!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.