British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Immigration & Citizenship (Canada) (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-citizenship-canada-33/)
-   -   Proof of Means of Financial Support - Express Entry (https://britishexpats.com/forum/immigration-citizenship-canada-33/proof-means-financial-support-express-entry-873226/)

Marko86bfc Feb 24th 2016 6:08 pm

Proof of Means of Financial Support - Express Entry

Hi Guys

I am just wondering if anyone can clear this up for me in regards to the Proof of Financial Support for Express Entry.

Now, I have a valid job offer and been invited under both the Canadian Experience Class and more recently Provincial Nominee Program through the Federal Express Entry.

The question I have, how much money are they looking for me to have to be able to support myself as part of the Financial Support upload on the EE Checklist?

I have read on the CIC website its $12k for 1 person. But on the same page it also mentions:

"Unless you are currently authorized to work in Canada and have a valid job offer from an employer in Canada, or you have been invited to apply under the Canadian Experience Class, you must show that you have enough money to support yourself and your family after you get to Canada."

Given I am authorized to work in Canada currently, have a job offer and would also be eligible under
Canadian Experience Class do i still have to show I have the $12k in my financial profile?

The reason I ask, I am currently below this with my bank statements but have the requirements above which I am reading that I wouldn't need to show $12k.

I am obviously still going to show my statements and what is required, just concerned whether my application will be rejected if I can show the $12k? Or is this not relevant for me?

Many Thanks
Mark

christmasoompa Feb 24th 2016 6:32 pm

Re: Proof of Means of Financial Support - Express Entry

Bit of a tricky one tbh - although CIC's own info says that you don't need proof of funds, under EE they do seem to be asking people for it anyway.

But if you don't have the required amount then all you can do it apply and see what happens, fingers crossed you don't get asked for it.

Good luck.

Marko86bfc Feb 24th 2016 6:37 pm

Yes its tricky and kinda thrown me off, they are saying if you have a valid job offer etc then no need to show this. But on the other hand are asking for it anyway.

I am short of the $12k they require, but surely if I have a valid job offer, currently authorized to work in Canada and would be eligible under Canadian Experience Class that would be enough, I hope fingers crossed :-).

I am still going to provide what they need for the Financial Support just concerned whether it will be rejected on the basis of not meeting the $12k?

Thanks

beckiwoo Feb 24th 2016 8:17 pm

Do you actually have an LMIA?

Marko86bfc Feb 24th 2016 9:08 pm

No I don't have a LIMA, I have a Provincial Nomination and did that LIMA exempt form as part of my Nomination when I received it.

bc2015 Feb 24th 2016 9:41 pm

Originally Posted by Marko86bfc (Post 11878461)
No I don't have a LIMA, I have a Provincial Nomination and did that LIMA exempt form as part of my Nomination when I received it.

A job without an LMIA doesn't qualify as a "valid job offer" for Express Entry.

Marko86bfc Feb 24th 2016 9:47 pm

Really? So despite me having a job offer and also being eligible under Canadian Experience Class with a current valid work permit if I don't prove I have $12k in funds then my PR application will be rejected based just on these grounds?

bc2015 Feb 24th 2016 9:53 pm

Originally Posted by Marko86bfc (Post 11878507)
Really? So despite me having a job offer and also being eligible under Canadian Experience Class with a current valid work permit if I don't prove I have $12k in funds then my PR application will be rejected based just on these grounds?

Not necessarily. I've seen it advised (though don't know anyone who has done it) that you can add a letter of explanation instead of proof of funds, stating that you have been invited under CEC and that proof of funds is not required.

Marko86bfc Feb 24th 2016 9:59 pm

Well I have to upload for my financial profile my bank letter and statements and so I will do that as they have asked. I am a little short of the $12k though so do you think its perhaps a good idea to mention this in the letter of explanation?

I have been invited to apply by both CEC ITA and Provincial Nomination ITA on a number of occasions over the months so hopeful they can understand that I meet the CEC requirements.

Prior to the EE checklist the application also asked for your funds and I have stated my amount lower than the $12k and this has still allowed me to get to the EE Checklist stage for uploading?

Really hope this doesn't hold me back.

Snowy560 Feb 24th 2016 10:07 pm

Agree about your job offer. It is not valid unless it meets the criteria outlined in this link:

Offer of employment – Skilled immigrants (Express Entry)

Proof of funds: if you are invited to apply under FSW and you don't have a valid job offer, you have to provide proof of funds.

However, if you are invited under CEC, you don't have to, even though the system will automatically ask all invitees for proof of funds. What you need to do is to provide a letter of explanation in the relevant slot. The absolutely crucial point to check is: which Federal stream has your EE ITA been issued under and to ensure you comply with what CIC is asking you to do in each case. So BC2015 is right. It's the last question in the link. And yes, people do do this.

"Do I need to include proof of funds for Express Entry?
You will be asked to enter in your Express Entry profile the amount of money you will have to help you settle in Canada. This is to show that you can support yourself and any family who come with you to Canada, and helps us assess which programs you may be eligible for.

You will only need to meet the settlement fund requirement if it applies to the program you are invited to apply under.

If you are invited to apply under the Federal Skilled Worker Program or Federal Skilled Trades Program, you will need to show that you meet the settlement funds requirement unless you:

are currently authorized to work in Canada, and
have a valid job offer from an employer in Canada.
Note: You do not have to meet the funds requirement if you were invited to apply under the Canadian Experience Class.

The system currently asks all applicants to provide a proof of funds document. If you don’t need to provide proof of funds, you must upload a letter explaining either that you have been invited to apply under the Canadian Experience Class, or that you have a valid job offer."

Online Help Centre - List of questions and answers - by topic

S

withabix Feb 24th 2016 10:51 pm

At least they've got round to officially stating that now - when I did CEC Express Entry, even though they acknowledged that you didn't need Proof of Funds, they still required it to be uploaded and submitted (and not an explanatory letter instead). We had sold our UK house by that stage, so it wasn't a problem anyway.

'Computer says no'....

Marko86bfc Feb 24th 2016 11:47 pm

Thanks for the advise Snowey560.

I have had several ITA over the months that related to CEC. However, my most recent ITA for the checklist in question it states the ITA is for "the Provincial Nominee Program".

This only confuses matters for me, as I am not sure now whether I write a letter of explanation in my Financial Profile upload or still go ahead with the Bank Letter & Statements showing funds under the $12k requirement.

Now, under the "Provincial Nominee Program" stream as per my ITA what would be required? Do I write the letter or upload the documents? I am guessing it has given me and ITA on the recent invitations under this program as I have recently received my Provincial Nomination from BC.

I really dont know what would be required under the "Provincial Nominee Program" stream as when I look around it always relates to the requirements for the province but I have already passed that stage.

Any help would be much appreciated :-)

Marko86bfc Feb 24th 2016 11:49 pm

Secondly, if this helps I am currently in Canada working for the employer that I gained my Provincial Nomination through and this was LIMA exempt. I am also working on a valid work permit.

beckiwoo Feb 25th 2016 12:46 am

Originally Posted by Marko86bfc (Post 11878599)
Thanks for the advise Snowey560. I have had several ITA over the months that related to CEC. However, my most recent ITA for the checklist in question it states the ITA is for "the Provincial Nominee Program".

I don't understand why you refused your previous ITA(s). You would have had enough points in order to receive the ITA and complete your PR application

Marko86bfc Feb 25th 2016 3:58 pm

Beckiwoo - I had to decline previous ITA's as I was still waiting on information( US Police Check etc...) so I was unable to submit a complete checklist at the time. I declined a number when they were under CEC and then since I had Provincial Nomination my recent ITA is under the "Provincial Nominee Program" as it is written on the ITA PDF document received.

I am no ready to submit this with my documents but the question I have is in regards to my Financial Profile given what I have mentioned above?

I am unsure whether I should write a letter of explanation now my ITA is the Provincial Stream or go ahead and upload my bank info depsite the fact its below the $12k require as per the CIC website.

Very confused.

THanks