Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Proof of intention to return to Canada

Proof of intention to return to Canada

Old Feb 19th 2012, 12:29 pm
Forum Regular

BritBob is a jewel in the roughBritBob is a jewel in the roughBritBob is a jewel in the roughBritBob is a jewel in the roughBritBob is a jewel in the rough
Default Proof of intention to return to Canada

In the process of sponsoring my wife and children, we have medicals booked for the end of this month, police certificate has already arrived. We have the photographs all done.

Now just in the process of filling out the forms. On my form (sponsor) it states I have to provide evidence of my intention to return to Canada.

I am unsure how I would go about this. As I will be waiting until if and when my family are issued their visas, how can I get the required "evidence" they wish for: job offer, property lease, property offer etc. None of these are possible when I am unsure when I will be returning. No one will offer me a job without a date of my/our arrival so it's a catch 22.

Anyone been in this predicament?

I still have my bank account in Canada active (Scotiabank)
My cell phone account is still active (Koodo)
I have told friends in Canada of my/our intention to return

I suppose I could use the above in some form. If only an immigration officer could get into my head they would then know of my intentions!
Old Feb 19th 2012, 2:43 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Proof of intention to return to Canada

Letters from friends/family, proof you've been looking for a job (copies of applications etc - even if you actually have no intention of taking the job if offered it!), proof you've been hunting for housing i.e. emails exchanged with a realtor. It doesn't have to be concrete proof that you've made plans, just showing your intentions is all they're after.

Old Feb 19th 2012, 5:53 pm
BE user by choice

Location: A Briton, married to a Canadian, now in Fredericton.
MillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond repute

My husband wrote a covering letter saying that if he was approved to sponsor me then we would all move back to Canada. We didn't have 'proof' per se either, but that seemed to be fine. Very best of luck.
Old Feb 20th 2012, 11:50 am
Concierge

SchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond repute

My fiance and I were in a similar situation - no real concrete proof as of now, especially when you don't know how long the process potentially will take. I wrote a letter saying that our plan was, pending approval of sponsorship, that we would be searching for jobs and would move over together. We'd be moving in with my parents initially (and we gave their address), and wrote a bit about the area of Canada we wanted to move to. My parents also then wrote a letter saying that we were planning on living with them and they'd been with us to look at potential areas to live.

We really didn't have anything more concrete than that - we want to wait until we're there to try to buy a house (too hard to do it from overseas!), and we aren't ready to start applying for jobs yet.

We haven't been approved for anything yet but this was one of the questions I had as well and it seems many people (probably the vast majority!) are in a similar situation.