Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Proof of funds when activating PR.. Advice please

Proof of funds when activating PR.. Advice please

Old Aug 5th 2015, 1:22 am
Forum Regular

Roberto1980 has a reputation beyond reputeRoberto1980 has a reputation beyond reputeRoberto1980 has a reputation beyond reputeRoberto1980 has a reputation beyond reputeRoberto1980 has a reputation beyond reputeRoberto1980 has a reputation beyond reputeRoberto1980 has a reputation beyond reputeRoberto1980 has a reputation beyond reputeRoberto1980 has a reputation beyond reputeRoberto1980 has a reputation beyond reputeRoberto1980 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Proof of funds when activating PR.. Advice please

Hi.

My wife and I (and the kids) will be 'landing' + activating our PR in October.
We will not be moving permanently on this trip..

For our Federal skilled worker application, from which we gained our COPR, we showed some savings but mostly the potential equity from our house sale as our proof of funds.

At this moment we now have more savings, but also my wife has since received some inheritance money. So we intend on using / showing this combined money as our proof of funds.

Q- Since the inheritance has been received as a 'one off' transaction into an account, is there any requirements we should know about in which to prove where the money came from ? Do we require a letter or something from her Father and/or solicitor to say it is inheritance and 'not a loan'?

Thanks
Old Aug 5th 2015, 1:38 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Proof of funds when activating PR.. Advice please

From a CBSA viewpoint the proof of funds is normally declared on landing and establishing a residence which you won't be.
To get the COPR forms you provided CIC with proof of funds.
Personally I wpuldnt worry too much about it as until you sell your house those funds are tied up. Simply explain you are doing the landing but NOT establishing a residence therefore no goods to follow list is required
Variation Between Customs/Immigration Legislation

9. A person’s status for customs purposes is not always the same as their status for immigration purposes.

10. As an example, a person can become a permanent resident without the intention of residing immediately in Canada. However, this person is not determined to be a settler as defined in the customs legislation, and be eligible for the provisions of tariff item No. 9807.00.00. In this case, since the person does not have any intention of remaining in Canada at that time, and will live outside Canada for an undetermined period of time, that person is considered a non-resident of Canada and not a settler, for the purpose of the Customs Tariff, and is eligible to temporarily import goods under tariff item No. 9803.00.00.
D2-2-1 - Settlers' Effects - Tariff Item No. 9807.00.00
Old Aug 5th 2015, 2:43 am
Muskoka, Ontario

Tirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond repute

We will be "landing" as PR late August hopefully.. Is a bank statement enough to take with you as proof of funds?

Sorry R very bad form to hijack thread! At least it's relevant..
Old Aug 5th 2015, 2:44 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tirytory
We will be "landing" as PR late August hopefully.. Is a bank statement enough to take with you as proof of funds?

Sorry very bad form!
Yes and have it dated as close to the landing date as you can.
Old Aug 5th 2015, 4:00 am
Forum Regular

djaybi has much to be proud ofdjaybi has much to be proud ofdjaybi has much to be proud ofdjaybi has much to be proud ofdjaybi has much to be proud ofdjaybi has much to be proud ofdjaybi has much to be proud ofdjaybi has much to be proud ofdjaybi has much to be proud ofdjaybi has much to be proud ofdjaybi has much to be proud of

Hi,

I'm taking advantage of this thread as well.
I applied for PR and suppiled a proof of funds. When I receive my PR and come to Canada to land, I will need to supply a more recent proof of funds. It is likely that the amount will be inferior to the one earlier one, and possibly below the treshold needed for immigration (roughly 11000 CAD for a single person). Is that a problem ?
Old Aug 5th 2015, 6:08 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by djaybi
Hi,

I'm taking advantage of this thread as well.
I applied for PR and suppiled a proof of funds. When I receive my PR and come to Canada to land, I will need to supply a more recent proof of funds. It is likely that the amount will be inferior to the one earlier one, and possibly below the treshold needed for immigration (roughly 11000 CAD for a single person). Is that a problem ?
Yes, you need to meet the current amount when you land - not the amount from when you applied.

So you'll need to show at least $11,931 if you're a single person.

HTH.
Old Aug 5th 2015, 6:45 am
Forum Regular

Roberto1980 has a reputation beyond reputeRoberto1980 has a reputation beyond reputeRoberto1980 has a reputation beyond reputeRoberto1980 has a reputation beyond reputeRoberto1980 has a reputation beyond reputeRoberto1980 has a reputation beyond reputeRoberto1980 has a reputation beyond reputeRoberto1980 has a reputation beyond reputeRoberto1980 has a reputation beyond reputeRoberto1980 has a reputation beyond reputeRoberto1980 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian
From a CBSA viewpoint the proof of funds is normally declared on landing and establishing a residence which you won't be.
To get the COPR forms you provided CIC with proof of funds.
Personally I wpuldnt worry too much about it as until you sell your house those funds are tied up. Simply explain you are doing the landing but NOT establishing a residence therefore no goods to follow list is required
Variation Between Customs/Immigration Legislation

9. A person’s status for customs purposes is not always the same as their status for immigration purposes.

10. As an example, a person can become a permanent resident without the intention of residing immediately in Canada. However, this person is not determined to be a settler as defined in the customs legislation, and be eligible for the provisions of tariff item No. 9807.00.00. In this case, since the person does not have any intention of remaining in Canada at that time, and will live outside Canada for an undetermined period of time, that person is considered a non-resident of Canada and not a settler, for the purpose of the Customs Tariff, and is eligible to temporarily import goods under tariff item No. 9803.00.00.
D2-2-1 - Settlers' Effects - Tariff Item No. 9807.00.00
Mmmm. Thanks for the reply FL. Clear as mud lol.

Could you confirm then whether we can show a statement of a saving account (where the inheritance has been deposited) and this will be sufficient WITHOUT a covering letter or some sort of proof that it's not a loan and that it is permanent available funds?...

Cheers
Old Aug 5th 2015, 10:05 am
Forum Regular

djaybi has much to be proud ofdjaybi has much to be proud ofdjaybi has much to be proud ofdjaybi has much to be proud ofdjaybi has much to be proud ofdjaybi has much to be proud ofdjaybi has much to be proud ofdjaybi has much to be proud ofdjaybi has much to be proud ofdjaybi has much to be proud ofdjaybi has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
Yes, you need to meet the current amount when you land - not the amount from when you applied.

So you'll need to show at least $11,931 if you're a single person.

HTH.
Thanks christmasoompa.