Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Proof of funds on temporary landing.

Proof of funds on temporary landing.

Old Feb 6th 2008, 8:38 am
Forum Regular

siw1978 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Proof of funds on temporary landing.

Help please.

My family and I are going out for a 2 week holiday/recce in April, with our visas expiring in July. We will return permanently in the Autumn. Our funds are tied up in the house and won't be in our bank account for our landing.

Has anyone had any experience of this and what did you do to solve the problem?

Thanks.
Old Feb 6th 2008, 8:52 am
itchy feet again!

Jay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Proof of funds on temporary landing.

Originally Posted by siw1978
Help please.

My family and I are going out for a 2 week holiday/recce in April, with our visas expiring in July. We will return permanently in the Autumn. Our funds are tied up in the house and won't be in our bank account for our landing.

Has anyone had any experience of this and what did you do to solve the problem?

Thanks.
Hi siw1978

When we arrived, a few years ago, our funds had been transferred into our bank account by our broker - however, the bank froze the account because we didn't have proof of the source of said funds. Frantic phone calls and faxes to our solicitor in England were eventually accepted by the bank, but it took two weeks and a lot of hard work, patience and the help of the local bank "manager". See, the problem is the Canadians assume that house buying and selling is done the same way in England as it's done here, with everything on paper; we didn't realise that they assumed we had paperwork from the house sale. They must have thought we were nuts for not having anything! We didn't, and nearly four years on, we still don't!
I now work in one of Canada's biggest mortgage centres for a well-known bank, and fully understand why this would have ben done...............at the time no-one explained that it was to guard against money-laundering. When we came over here the first time, back in the 80's, we just brought a cheque and banked it, no questions asked..............but times have changed and banks are quite paranoid about "dirty" money.

My advice? get something in writing from your solicitor to show where you got your money! Good luck......
Old Feb 7th 2008, 7:38 am
Forum Regular

Thanks for the reply- I'll bear that in mind. I meant the question as to what we could do when we don't have thousands of pounds laying about when we initially land as proof of funds- we are only going for a recce but have to "land" so our visas don't expire. When we next go over in the Autumn, hopefully our house will be sold and we'll have the funds then.

Help...
Old Feb 7th 2008, 7:50 am
itchy feet again!

Jay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for the reply- I'll bear that in mind. I meant the question as to what we could do when we don't have thousands of pounds laying about when we initially land as proof of funds- we are only going for a recce but have to "land" so our visas don't expire. When we next go over in the Autumn, hopefully our house will be sold and we'll have the funds then.

Help...
In which case the question doesn't arise, does it? You can't declare something you don't have. You'll be given a Declaration card on the plane....try this link...if you have Adobe Reader you'll be able to see what you fill in.

http://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/E/pbg/cf/e311/README.html

Hope this helps..............
Old Feb 7th 2008, 8:01 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Biiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond repute

If you don't have the required funds at the time of landing, I guess you could be refused? Some people have been asked, others haven't - not a risk you want to take though.

Is there no way you can scrape together whatever your required minimum is, just for landing, for your peace of mind?
Old Feb 7th 2008, 8:06 am
Now on Vancouver Island

Judy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond repute

I think I've seen people here saying that, if you get a professional evaluation of your house, you can count the net value of your house (assessed value, less mortgage and estimated selling costs) amongst the assets that count towards your "proof of funds."
Old Feb 7th 2008, 8:16 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Biiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Judy in Calgary
I think I've seen people here saying that, if you get a professional evaluation of your house, you can count the net value of your house (assessed value, less mortgage and estimated selling costs) amongst the assets that count towards your "proof of funds."
I've read that too, that London and Sydney will take an evaluation as settlement funds on the application, but I don't know that it's acceptable for actually landing.

PMM didn't think so in this recent thread although as above, it didn't cause the poster a problem.
Old Feb 7th 2008, 10:02 am
Now on Vancouver Island

Judy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Biiiiink
I've read that too, that London and Sydney will take an evaluation as settlement funds on the application, but I don't know that it's acceptable for actually landing.

PMM didn't think so in this recent thread although as above, it didn't cause the poster a problem.
Ah, thanks for the clarification.
Old Feb 7th 2008, 10:08 am
itchy feet again!

I think so much depends on the officials you come into contact with at your airport of arrival. They can all interpret the rules and procedures in different ways, hence so many different answers to the same question......which is bound to be confusing.
Old Feb 8th 2008, 7:08 am
Forum Regular

Thanks again for the replies. I used a mortgage statement and house valuation for the actual immigration process which was accepted with no problems. There seems to be mixed opinion on this site whether this is acceptable for landing.

I just think it's harsh when I have a return ticket booked from Vancouver two weeks after I "land" and am plainly not actually staying yet.

Not sure yet what our plan will be....

Hey ho.....
Old Feb 8th 2008, 7:29 am
little snowy owl

Alberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond repute

Are you landing in Calgary?

To my knowledge nobody here has been asked for proof of funds on landing at Calgary ...... somebody will no doubt correct me if I am mistaken.

And of course there's always the exception that breaks the rule. But I'd say you are safe. Bring the evidence you submitted at application just in case maybe.
Old Feb 8th 2008, 7:54 am
PMM
Lost in BE Cyberspace

PMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

Originally Posted by Morwenna
Are you landing in Calgary?

To my knowledge nobody here has been asked for proof of funds on landing at Calgary ...... somebody will no doubt correct me if I am mistaken.

And of course there's always the exception that breaks the rule. But I'd say you are safe. Bring the evidence you submitted at application just in case maybe.
You take the chance of a refusal, if you show up with a house valuation rather than settlement funds. But if you wish to take the chance!
Old Feb 8th 2008, 7:55 am
Forum Regular

Yes- plan to land in Calgary. Don't want to leave anything to chance. Has taken 4 years to get this far.
Old Feb 8th 2008, 9:47 am
little snowy owl

Alberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond repute

Yes- plan to land in Calgary. Don't want to leave anything to chance. Has taken 4 years to get this far.
Well it's not a vast amount in the general scheme of things .... is it possible to extend the mortgage (or something) to cover it?

I don't know what the figure is now, but when we came over the recommended landing settlement funds was nowhere near adequate for a family of four wanting to set up in Calgary!