Proof of Funds / Student Loans

Old Jul 31st 2019, 10:00 am
Forum Regular

DaechiDragon has a reputation beyond reputeDaechiDragon has a reputation beyond reputeDaechiDragon has a reputation beyond reputeDaechiDragon has a reputation beyond reputeDaechiDragon has a reputation beyond reputeDaechiDragon has a reputation beyond reputeDaechiDragon has a reputation beyond reputeDaechiDragon has a reputation beyond reputeDaechiDragon has a reputation beyond reputeDaechiDragon has a reputation beyond reputeDaechiDragon has a reputation beyond repute
Default Proof of Funds / Student Loans

Before I go into details about this, I want to say thank you to the people who helped me out in my recent thread.
I have decided to apply for a Canadian PR with a state nomination (hopefully Alberta). I was upset to find out that my 1 year of IT work literally just falls outside of the 10 year window (time flies lol) but I was also surprised to see that my experience teaching English is actually acceptable (NOC 4021) and is considered band A. I'll be applying as a language instructor.

I've been living out of the UK for 6 years now, but I still have to provide bank account information from the UK. I'm unsure of if my Natwest account is open (if so, I'll close it) but I have a Lloyds account and I barely have any activity because I don't keep my money in the UK. Has anybody had any experience with getting bank info from Lloyds? It'll be a pain in the ass doing this from abroad.

Also, I have no debts that I'm aware of, but I do still have student loans. Since there is no official one-stop place for all bank info, it seems they may not know about student loans unless I report it. Should I? (It's not a normal loan).

Also I'm working on getting my transcripts from uni, and the documents for my police check, since I think they'll take the longest due to coming from the UK. Are there any other documents that I should be aware of that can take a long time to get (especially from out of the UK?). I haven't made my Express Entry profile yet because I'm waiting on these docs and also for my partner and I to do IELTS. My partner is not a native speaker so she has to practice.

Last edited by DaechiDragon; Jul 31st 2019 at 10:19 am.
Old Jul 31st 2019, 10:52 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Proof of Funds / Student Loans

Originally Posted by DaechiDragon
I was upset to find out that my 1 year of IT work literally just falls outside of the 10 year window (time flies lol) but I was also surprised to see that my experience teaching English is actually acceptable (NOC 4021) and is considered band A. I'll be applying as a language instructor.
Are you likely to find a job offer for that in Alberta? Just can't see there being that many employers being prepared to sponsor a PNP nomination for an English tutor, in an English speaking country. But hopefully you have researched and got that side of things sorted already.

I've been living out of the UK for 6 years now, but I still have to provide bank account information from the UK. I'm unsure of if my Natwest account is open (if so, I'll close it) but I have a Lloyds account and I barely have any activity because I don't keep my money in the UK. Has anybody had any experience with getting bank info from Lloyds? It'll be a pain in the ass doing this from abroad.
Note that your proof of funds can be in any account in any country in the world. It doesn't have to be the UK.

BAlso, I have no debts that I'm aware of, but I do still have student loans. Since there is no official one-stop place for all bank info, it seems they may not know about student loans unless I report it. Should I? (It's not a normal loan).
Yep, absolutely. It won't make any difference to your application anyway, but if you don't report it and it's found out later down the line, then a misrepresentation charge would make a big difference.

Also I'm working on getting my transcripts from uni, and the documents for my police check, since I think they'll take the longest due to coming from the UK. Are there any other documents that I should be aware of that can take a long time to get (especially from out of the UK?). I haven't made my Express Entry profile yet because I'm waiting on these docs and also for my partner and I to do IELTS. My partner is not a native speaker so she has to practice.
Don't forget you either need to get your transcripts sent directly to the ECA agency, or you need to make sure they're sealed and stamped - you can't open them. Employment refs can take a while to get, especially if from big companies. Depending on which country you are in now (or have lived in previously for 6 months or more), police certs can take a heck of a lot longer than a UK one, so that may be something to get underway too.

If you're planning on a PNP nomination/EE application, your partner won't need IELTS, as the 600 points from nomination will get you an ITA immediately, so no need for any extra points from her.

HTH.
Old Jul 31st 2019, 4:02 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Provincial Nomination isn't going to be easy to get as a 'language instructor – language school' , do you have certification for teaching / TESL/TEFL? 4021 College and other vocational instructors so you may have to find another route.

This might be of use to you: https://ontesol.com/tesl/
Old Aug 1st 2019, 9:03 am
Forum Regular

DaechiDragon has a reputation beyond reputeDaechiDragon has a reputation beyond reputeDaechiDragon has a reputation beyond reputeDaechiDragon has a reputation beyond reputeDaechiDragon has a reputation beyond reputeDaechiDragon has a reputation beyond reputeDaechiDragon has a reputation beyond reputeDaechiDragon has a reputation beyond reputeDaechiDragon has a reputation beyond reputeDaechiDragon has a reputation beyond reputeDaechiDragon has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
Are you likely to find a job offer for that in Alberta? Just can't see there being that many employers being prepared to sponsor a PNP nomination for an English tutor, in an English speaking country. But hopefully you have researched and got that side of things sorted already.
I'm not actually hoping to get an ESL job in Alberta. It's just that it's my only work experience that I can claim. I'm not fussy about what I'd get on arrival, but I intend to work in software development and I'm preparing for that now. I'm also probably going to take a coding camp upon arrival, which should give some local connections and a tiny bit of 'Canadian experience'. Some of my Canadian friends think it's doable and my American friend who just arrived with 0 software development skills has found some work in Calgary (not with ease, of course).
I'm not looking for sponsorship from a company, but from the state. Last time I checked I think I had 420 points. Since my occupation is on the list, I didn't think it would be an issue for immigration. They didn't specify on what language I have to teach.

Note that your proof of funds can be in any account in any country in the world. It doesn't have to be the UK.
I thought I read something that gave me the impression I'd need bank records from both the UK and from Korea. Maybe I misread. Anyway I'd have to have some sort of report to show that I have no debt, and to report my student loans.

Don't forget you either need to get your transcripts sent directly to the ECA agency, or you need to make sure they're sealed and stamped - you can't open them. Employment refs can take a while to get, especially if from big companies. Depending on which country you are in now (or have lived in previously for 6 months or more), police certs can take a heck of a lot longer than a UK one, so that may be something to get underway too.
My transcripts are already on the way. I told them specifically why I needed the transcripts and that they need to be stamped (and my email was replied to) so I assume they'll arrive that way. I'm also reading on the requirements for the police check and they've clarified some of my concerns. So it's just a case of getting all of these docs and getting the police cert done. Once my police check/ECA are done, I think I'll be in the clear. Everything happens super quickly in Korea, so I'll be able to get police/bank checks and even my medical check (once required) probably quicker than I would anywhere else in the world.

If you're planning on a PNP nomination/EE application, your partner won't need IELTS, as the 600 points from nomination will get you an ITA immediately, so no need for any extra points from her.
I believe she does need some minimum IELTS score (or perhaps it's just to show cultural adaptability for extra points). Well she wants to improve her English anyway, and she's prepping for academic IELTS as well, so that she has it done for if she needs it. She's thinking of taking a vocational course once she has the PR in order to prepare for a new career. If IELTS is unnecessary for education once she has a PR, I might discourage her from spending time/money on all this and get her to just take IELTS with the goal of getting above the minimum.
Old Aug 1st 2019, 9:06 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Siouxie
Provincial Nomination isn't going to be easy to get as a 'language instructor – language school' , do you have certification for teaching / TESL/TEFL? 4021 College and other vocational instructors so you may have to find another route.

This might be of use to you: https://ontesol.com/tesl/
Will the certification be required to get the visa? I'm not intending on working in ESL once in Canada (see my above post) but if a cert is required for immigration then that really sucks. I can take a course but I'll probably have to spend a few thousand dollars and I won't have post-certification experience. But again, I'm not sure if this is a requirement for a visa or just for employers. Since I'm not going for employer sponsorship, I didn't think this would be an issue.
Old Aug 1st 2019, 9:07 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

I'm not actually hoping to get an ESL job in Alberta. It's just that it's my only work experience that I can claim. I'm not fussy about what I'd get on arrival, but I intend to work in software development and I'm preparing for that now. I'm also probably going to take a coding camp upon arrival, which should give some local connections and a tiny bit of 'Canadian experience'. Some of my Canadian friends think it's doable and my American friend who just arrived with 0 software development skills has found some work in Calgary (not with ease, of course).
I'm not looking for sponsorship from a company, but from the state. Last time I checked I think I had 420 points. Since my occupation is on the list, I didn't think it would be an issue for immigration. They didn't specify on what language I have to teach.
Province, not state! What list do you mean? How do you plan to get nomination without a job offer or strong ties to the province?

I believe she does need some minimum IELTS score (or perhaps it's just to show cultural adaptability for extra points).
Only for extra points - if you already have 420 and then get another 600 for provincial nomination, those points really won't be needed!
Old Aug 1st 2019, 9:27 am
Forum Regular

Province, not state! What list do you mean? How do you plan to get nomination without a job offer or strong ties to the province?
Only for extra points - if you already have 420 and then get another 600 for provincial nomination, those points really won't be needed!
I mean the NOC list. Since my occupation is on the NOC list and I can prove work experience for it, I didn't think that specific qualifications would be required at the immigration stage.

I'm applying for the Federal Skilled Worker (Express Entry) and it doesn't specify that I need a job offer beforehand. It looks as though that only gives additional points. It says that a minimum of 67 points are required via this route and I believe I would have 28 points for language, 21 points for my BSc, 11 points for 2-3 years experience (I have more but it's hard to prove more), 12 points for age, 5 points for adaptability (Spouse IELTS) which totals 77.

I have 0 points for any Canadian experience, job offer or family. As far as I can tell, I have enough points without them.
Old Aug 1st 2019, 9:31 am
SUPER MODERATOR

I mean the NOC list. Since my occupation is on the NOC list and I can prove work experience for it, I didn't think that specific qualifications would be required at the immigration stage.
OK, I see. Yes the NOC list is the thousands of jobs (tens of thousands I believe) that count as 'skilled' for immigration purposes. No specific qualifications will be required for it to get a visa.

I'm applying for the Federal Skilled Worker (Express Entry) and it doesn't specify that I need a job offer beforehand. It looks as though that only gives additional points. It says that a minimum of 67 points are required via this route and I believe I would have 28 points for language, 21 points for my BSc, 11 points for 2-3 years experience (I have more but it's hard to prove more), 12 points for age, 5 points for adaptability (Spouse IELTS) which totals 77.

I have 0 points for any Canadian experience, job offer or family. As far as I can tell, I have enough points without them.
Right, I'm confused. You mention earlier getting provincial nomination from Alberta ('PNP'), but now you're saying you're applying under FSW? PNP and FSW are two different visa routes. 420 on the CRS won't be enough to get you an ITA under FSW though, you'll need more points than that. And if you are trying to get provincial nomination from Alberta, then under which AINP stream do you plan to apply without a job offer or ties to the province?
Old Aug 1st 2019, 9:45 am
Forum Regular

OK, I see. Yes the NOC list is the thousands of jobs (tens of thousands I believe) that count as 'skilled' for immigration purposes. No specific qualifications will be required for it to get a visa.
That's what I was hoping.

Right, I'm confused. You mention earlier getting provincial nomination from Alberta ('PNP'), but now you're saying you're applying under FSW? PNP and FSW are two different visa routes. 420 on the CRS won't be enough to get you an ITA under FSW though, you'll need more points than that. And if you are trying to get provincial nomination from Alberta, then under which AINP stream do you plan to apply without a job offer or ties to the province?
I'm also confused. When I go on the Alberta PNP website, I can select Express Entry as a stream and it gives me some information here:

It seems to point me towards applying through Express Entry, the best for me being FSWP. As far as I can tell, I have to apply through Express Entry, get my inadequate 420 points, then express that I'm interested in Alberta and they will hopefully nominate me. I will then get 600 points added to my Express Entry, pretty much guaranteeing my PR unless I mess something up.

I'm aware that arriving in Calgary as an ESL teacher and almost 0 software development experience will hinder my chances of getting a job significantly, but I'm not worried about that for the moment. I'm working on that. My aim is to just get approved for the PR and I'll have to make the rest work myself.
Old Aug 1st 2019, 9:51 am
SUPER MODERATOR

As far as I can tell, I have to apply through Express Entry, get my inadequate 420 points, then express that I'm interested in Alberta and they will hopefully nominate me. I will then get 600 points added to my Express Entry, pretty much guaranteeing my PR unless I mess something up.
OK. Sort of! Just be aware that you're highly unlikely to get nominated by AB without already working there, having a job offer, or having ties to the province. They prioritise people with those things. Worth a try, but I wouldn't pin your hopes on it personally.

Last edited by christmasoompa; Aug 1st 2019 at 10:01 am.
Old Aug 1st 2019, 10:04 am
Forum Regular

OK. Sort of! What you're missing is that you're highly unlikely to get nominated by AB without already working there, having a job offer, or having ties to the province. They prioritise people with those things. Worth a try, but I wouldn't pin your hopes on it personally.
Yeah I'm afraid of that. I have friends there but that's about it. I could also express interest in other less desirable states (If there is no penalty or downside from doing so - like if it makes me look desperate) and see who takes me. As far as I understand, once you get a PR you can go anywhere in Canada. I do genuinely intend to go to Calgary though.

My partner said that there's another way (I forgot the name of it though) which allows low skilled workers to to do manual labor jobs in some selected areas and then they would qualify for PR after about a year.

If everything fails I'll just go to England and try to get IT work and then aim to try again, possibly with a job offer. But time is ticking and I'm not getting younger.
Old Aug 1st 2019, 10:11 am
SUPER MODERATOR

I could also express interest in other less desirable states
Provinces! It's not the US.

I could also express interest in other less desirable states (If there is no penalty or downside from doing so - like if it makes me look desperate) and see who takes me.
Unlikely to get nominated if you do that. Provinces only nominate those that truly want to be there, they don't waste their paltry number of nominations on those that aren't committed. I remember a case on the forum of somebody who had been refused a visa under the MB PNP........because he'd been to Ontario on holiday years earlier. Manitoba - Strategic Initiative

As far as I understand, once you get a PR you can go anywhere in Canada.
If you moved to AB and then headed straight off to another province, you do run the risk of having PR revoked for misrepresentation. You do have to commit to the province as part of your app (usually signing a document to that effect). But if you moved there and then after a year or two couldn't find work and went elsewhere, that should be fine.

My partner said that there's another way (I forgot the name of it though) which allows low skilled workers to to do manual labor jobs in some selected areas and then they would qualify for PR after about a year.
Some provinces do have a PNP stream for low/semi-skilled workers, and it's not always a year (i.e. BC it's 9 months before being eligible for PR). Depends on if you have experience in that job though and can get a job offer for it.

What does your partner do, is his/her job more likely to lead to PR?

Last edited by christmasoompa; Aug 1st 2019 at 10:14 am.
Old Aug 1st 2019, 10:17 am
Forum Regular

What does your partner do, is his/her job more likely to lead to PR?
Oops! Sorry lol.

So I'll be sure to select only Alberta and pray it goes through.

My girlfriend has been teaching exam Spanish (like IELTS) for 10 years to Koreans. She has studied in Canada and lived in Calagary for a few months (all less than a year though). She has less points than me due to age and our assumed IELTS scores.
Old Aug 1st 2019, 10:25 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Oops! Sorry lol.

So I'll be sure to select only Alberta and pray it goes through.

My girlfriend has been teaching exam Spanish (like IELTS) for 10 years to Koreans. She has studied in Canada and lived in Calagary for a few months (all less than a year though). She has less points than me due to age and our assumed IELTS scores.
Previous study and living in Calgary might make her more likely to be selected under AINP though..........could be worth both of you doing an EE profile maybe?
Old Aug 1st 2019, 10:44 am
Forum Regular

Previous study and living in Calgary might make her more likely to be selected under AINP though..........could be worth both of you doing an EE profile maybe?
Can we both make EE profiles with each other as our spouses? Is it allowed?

I suppose we could re-use documents which reduces costs and we don't pay for the PR until after the nomination stage anyway.

My gf said she was only in Calgary for 3 months, so we disregarded it as being important.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.