Proof of funds? How much?

Old May 24th 2011, 1:11 am
Just Joined

Tanyamarty is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Proof of funds? How much?

Hi

Just wondering how much you need to have as Prove of funds when relocating to Canada? also do ihave to open a hsbc bank account whilst still in the uk??

We are looking to go over to Alberta within the next few months dependent on husbands job offer , we will initially be staying with friends

Any thoughts appreciated
kind regards Tanya

Last edited by Tanyamarty; May 24th 2011 at 1:12 am. Reason: Spelling
Old May 24th 2011, 2:02 am
BE Enthusiast

Waggle has much to be proud ofWaggle has much to be proud ofWaggle has much to be proud ofWaggle has much to be proud ofWaggle has much to be proud ofWaggle has much to be proud ofWaggle has much to be proud ofWaggle has much to be proud ofWaggle has much to be proud ofWaggle has much to be proud ofWaggle has much to be proud of
Default Re: Proof of funds? How much?

Originally Posted by Tanyamarty
Hi

Just wondering how much you need to have as Prove of funds when relocating to Canada? also do ihave to open a hsbc bank account whilst still in the uk??

We are looking to go over to Alberta within the next few months dependent on husbands job offer , we will initially be staying with friends

Any thoughts appreciated
kind regards Tanya
If you have a job offer and are going to be applying for residency whilst working (I assume your husband is going to get a Temporary Work Permit with approved Labour Market Opinion allowing him to do so?) then you do not need to supply any proof of funds.

FSW applicants applying whilst in Canadan on a TWP or those who apply from outside of Canada on an Arranged Employment Offer (basically employer offers you a job, gets it approved and then waits for you to get residency before you go to Canada) are Category 2, which does not require proof of funds.

Category 1, where you apply for residency with no job offer having experience in one of the 29 in-demand occupations, does require proof of funding.

Wayne.
Old May 24th 2011, 2:25 am
Just Joined

Thanks for that Wayne , your exactly right we will be going over with a job offer on two , my husband will be long distance trucking so I will qualify to work too . Glad about no proof of funds as won't have much more than £ 3000 to go over with!!

Thanks again Tanya
Old May 24th 2011, 4:37 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Depends on the route you use to apply for PR though - Waggle is correct that FSW cat 2 doesn't, but then your husband wouldn't be eligible for that anyway so it's not really relevant at the mo. If you apply for PR under the PNP, some streams do require proof of funds, so just something to bear in mind and look in to when thinking about a PR application.

Edit: just a thought, but £3k will be very tight, even with your husband earning straight away - for a couple, the amount of proof of funds required is about $14k, and that's considered by most to be on the low side for setting up home in Canada. £3k might just buy you a car, but it certainly wouldn't pay for insurance, or rental deposits, or utility deposits, etc. It may not be possible, but if you can take more with you, I'd definitely recommend you do.

Last edited by christmasoompa; May 24th 2011 at 4:45 am.
Old May 24th 2011, 7:09 am
Just Joined

Thanks for replying :-)

We may possibly be able to get more than that tbh , our friends will be allowing us to use there spare car , they will be helping us out with accommodation for the first few months whilst we settle Down etc . We will obviously try and take as much money with is as possible :-)

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
Depends on the route you use to apply for PR though - Waggle is correct that FSW cat 2 doesn't, but then your husband wouldn't be eligible for that anyway so it's not really relevant at the mo. If you apply for PR under the PNP, some streams do require proof of funds, so just something to bear in mind and look in to when thinking about a PR application.

Edit: just a thought, but £3k will be very tight, even with your husband earning straight away - for a couple, the amount of proof of funds required is about $14k, and that's considered by most to be on the low side for setting up home in Canada. £3k might just buy you a car, but it certainly wouldn't pay for insurance, or rental deposits, or utility deposits, etc. It may not be possible, but if you can take more with you, I'd definitely recommend you do.
Old May 24th 2011, 7:13 am
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Does he have a watertight contract? Trucking seems notourious for promising the moon, but then the reality is less then the number of hours driving promised, more out of pocket expenses etc etc etc.

Id be VERY wary of coming with £3k, thats a world of pain if the job sucks and you have no funds to even bail out back to the UK if it all goes wrong. In perspective 3k could be one years car insurance for a newcomer to canada with no history.

Im not saying it will go wrong, but make sure that he will be earning what you think he will before getting on a plane!

Last edited by iaink; May 24th 2011 at 7:15 am.
Old May 24th 2011, 7:40 am
Just Joined

Hi iiank

Hanks for your post Yes my husbands contact is watertight , our friend married a Canadian citizen and is actually self employed with his own truck. He used to work for this particular company so we know it's all cosha and are clear as to what the earnings are.

We have no ties in the uk at all so we have nothing to lose in trying it out there if it all goes peat tong we will head back here , we will keep another £2000 in savings in a uk acc just in case so worse cone to worse it can be used to get us back here.

I think in truthfulness we will have to give it a year of hard graft to see what it's really like not just quit and give up after a few months etc

Tanya
Old May 24th 2011, 7:41 am
Just Joined

We have no job offer or contract yet bit we will obviously go through it with a fine tooth comb lol!!!
Old May 24th 2011, 9:31 pm
BE Enthusiast

Waggle has much to be proud ofWaggle has much to be proud ofWaggle has much to be proud ofWaggle has much to be proud ofWaggle has much to be proud ofWaggle has much to be proud ofWaggle has much to be proud ofWaggle has much to be proud ofWaggle has much to be proud ofWaggle has much to be proud ofWaggle has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Tanyamarty
Thanks for that Wayne , your exactly right we will be going over with a job offer on two , my husband will be long distance trucking so I will qualify to work too . Glad about no proof of funds as won't have much more than £ 3000 to go over with!!

Thanks again Tanya
Hi. Yes as FSW2 you are not required by CIC to show proof of funding at any point. If your husband's occupation is in types 0, A or B, then you can quality for an open spousal work permit for the life of your husband's TWP, and I believe this can be in any job which is also types 0, A or B.

However, it is advisable to take as much as you can, and £3000 does not sound like very much. Even with a job to go to you are still looking at relocation and setting up costs.

Hope it goes well,
Wayne.
Old May 24th 2011, 10:05 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Waggle
Hi. Yes as FSW2 you are not required by CIC to show proof of funding at any point. If your husband's occupation is in types 0, A or B, then you can quality for an open spousal work permit for the life of your husband's TWP, and I believe this can be in any job which is also types 0, A or B.
Unfortunately, truck drivers are not classed as 'Skilled' workers (they are Skill Level C), so as I said above, he wouldn't be eligible for FSW cat 2 anyway.

However, in Alberta spouses's of truckers can get a SOWP under a pilot program, so the OP is able to work.

HTH.

Old May 24th 2011, 10:35 pm
BE Enthusiast

Unfortunately, truck drivers are not classed as 'Skilled' workers (they are Skill Level C), so as I said above, he wouldn't be eligible for FSW cat 2 anyway.

However, in Alberta spouses's of truckers can get a SOWP under a pilot program, so the OP is able to work.

HTH.

Ah sorry I had not realised they were level C, I assumed they'd be level B.

Getting a spousal work permit isn't really a long term solution though, is it, if you are ineligible to apply for residency? A TWP only lasts so long and its renewal and renewal of the LMO needed to get it can never be guaranteed.

Wayne.
Old May 24th 2011, 10:41 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Getting a spousal work permit isn't really a long term solution though, is it, if you are ineligible to apply for residency? A TWP only lasts so long and its renewal and renewal of the LMO needed to get it can never be guaranteed.
They're not 'ineligible to apply for residency'? FSW is only one visa route to PR, and there are over 50! They should be able to apply via PNP instead. Plus of course, if the OP gets a Skilled job, she may be able to apply for PR as FSW cat 2.

Old May 24th 2011, 11:10 pm
Just Joined

Thanks for all your replies and info , we have children so I would not be working for a while tbh.

We plan to apply for or once were over there on twp. The company were using will help us with all the visa requirements etc .

I'm gonna just grab the bull by the horns and give it a go
Old May 24th 2011, 11:31 pm
BE Enthusiast

They're not 'ineligible to apply for residency'? FSW is only one visa route to PR, and there are over 50! They should be able to apply via PNP instead. Plus of course, if the OP gets a Skilled job, she may be able to apply for PR as FSW cat 2.

Yes that's true, sorry for poorly wording my reply!

But I was trying to say that you can't indefinitely string temporary work permits together, so you need some kind of plan to gain residency - be it with PNP or getting a 0, A or B level job, etc.

Wayne.
Old May 24th 2011, 11:36 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Yes that's true, sorry for poorly wording my reply!

But I was trying to say that you can't indefinitely string temporary work permits together, so you need some kind of plan to gain residency - be it with PNP or getting a 0, A or B level job, etc.

Wayne.
Ah, I see! Makes sense now, and yes, totally agree.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.