Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Proof of funds at the 120 day stage

Proof of funds at the 120 day stage

Old May 24th 2010, 10:17 pm
Outsyder Adventurer

misskatpaw has much to be proud ofmisskatpaw has much to be proud ofmisskatpaw has much to be proud ofmisskatpaw has much to be proud ofmisskatpaw has much to be proud ofmisskatpaw has much to be proud ofmisskatpaw has much to be proud ofmisskatpaw has much to be proud ofmisskatpaw has much to be proud ofmisskatpaw has much to be proud ofmisskatpaw has much to be proud of
Smile Proof of funds at the 120 day stage

Hi,

We have received our 120 day e-mail and have until the end of Aug to submit our application for PR under the FSW route.

I am aware that Appendix A, section 11 'Settlement Funds' gives clear instructions about the unencumbered funds, which at the time I last checked was CAD$13,486 for 2 adults, however.......

......when we were at the Immigration Fair at Esher in March, a lady working on an Immigration Consultant's stand (I know which one but won't state here!) stated that it was acceptable to provide a current mortgage statement and 2-3 up to date house valuations. This is clearly not unencumbered funds, however she was certain.

Can I ask for any other people's experiences as to whether they've used this method or not? Are you aware whether it's worked, been helpful/unhelpful/pointless, etc...

As with many people, our money is tied up in our house, vehicle and other saleable possessions, which will be sold if we are successful

Cheers, katie
Old May 24th 2010, 11:16 pm
BE Forum Addict

spaceace is a glorious beacon of lightspaceace is a glorious beacon of lightspaceace is a glorious beacon of lightspaceace is a glorious beacon of lightspaceace is a glorious beacon of lightspaceace is a glorious beacon of lightspaceace is a glorious beacon of lightspaceace is a glorious beacon of lightspaceace is a glorious beacon of lightspaceace is a glorious beacon of lightspaceace is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Proof of funds at the 120 day stage

I'm sure other people have done just that, hopefully somebody will come along to confirm....

Good luck :-)
Old May 25th 2010, 12:09 am
Forum Regular

Pengy is just really nicePengy is just really nicePengy is just really nicePengy is just really nicePengy is just really nicePengy is just really nicePengy is just really nicePengy is just really nicePengy is just really nicePengy is just really nice

Hiya

Yes that's what I did ! I got two estate agents to value house and sent those with an up to date mortgage statement ! Equity was obvious !

All fine and just received passort request for shiny visa !!!!

Hope that helps ?

Peng
Old May 25th 2010, 7:07 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, loads of people on this forum have done that and been granted PR. It should be noted however, (for anybody else reading) that London is the only visa office that allows equity in a property to be used.

Old May 25th 2010, 8:54 am
Outsyder Adventurer

misskatpaw has much to be proud ofmisskatpaw has much to be proud ofmisskatpaw has much to be proud ofmisskatpaw has much to be proud ofmisskatpaw has much to be proud ofmisskatpaw has much to be proud ofmisskatpaw has much to be proud ofmisskatpaw has much to be proud ofmisskatpaw has much to be proud ofmisskatpaw has much to be proud ofmisskatpaw has much to be proud of

Thanks very much for your replies, that's really very helpful & has put my mind at rest somewhat!
Old May 25th 2010, 1:19 pm
Forum Regular

Scotjames is on a distinguished road

London will take property equity at 120 day stage but you need to make sure it's ready cash ' 'unencumbered' when you 'land'
I landed the IO who processed me was only interested in what
'unencumbered' funds I had and even made a point that London should check you have the minimum required funds in ready cash.
Maybe they should read the Immigration Regulations?

76. (1) For the purpose of determining whether a skilled worker, as a member of the federal skilled worker class, will be able to become economically established in Canada, they must be assessed on the basis of the following criteria:

b) the skilled worker must
(i) have in the form of transferable and available funds, unencumbered by debts or other obligations, an amount equal to half the minimum necessary income applicable in respect of the group of persons consisting of the skilled worker and their family members

the above was quoted to me .
Old May 25th 2010, 4:44 pm
Forum Regular

Pengy is just really nicePengy is just really nicePengy is just really nicePengy is just really nicePengy is just really nicePengy is just really nicePengy is just really nicePengy is just really nicePengy is just really nicePengy is just really nice

Originally Posted by Scotjames
London will take property equity at 120 day stage but you need to make sure it's ready cash ' 'unencumbered' when you 'land'
I landed the IO who processed me was only interested in what
'unencumbered' funds I had and even made a point that London should check you have the minimum required funds in ready cash.
Maybe they should read the Immigration Regulations?

76. (1) For the purpose of determining whether a skilled worker, as a member of the federal skilled worker class, will be able to become economically established in Canada, they must be assessed on the basis of the following criteria:

b) the skilled worker must
(i) have in the form of transferable and available funds, unencumbered by debts or other obligations, an amount equal to half the minimum necessary income applicable in respect of the group of persons consisting of the skilled worker and their family members

the above was quoted to me .
hey Scotjames ..

Have I miss read that ? You only need to have half the amount of money available as unencumbered funds ? So .. for instance .. I need £3k if my 'family' money should be £6k ..when I land ?

Just checking before I go on a spending spree .. lol !

Peng
Old May 25th 2010, 5:13 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
Yes, loads of people on this forum have done that and been granted PR. It should be noted however, (for anybody else reading) that London is the only visa office that allows equity in a property to be used.

I didn't know that ! Good job I live here then !

Perhaps you could give me some guidance on a little matter. I'm just about to send off my photo's for my PR. I had two sets done at two photographers [they both followed the guidance] but the background on the first one came with a greyish tinge .. so had another photographer take them and same thing happened ! I had a another set done at a passport photo booth .. nice crisp white background .. but then I read that the specifications are NOT the same as for passports .. should I send both sets and let Immigration decide ?

Would be grateful for advice

Peng
Old May 25th 2010, 5:15 pm
Island life at last

helcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by misskatpaw
Hi,

......when we were at the Immigration Fair at Esher in March, a lady working on an Immigration Consultant's stand (I know which one but won't state here!) stated that it was acceptable to provide a current mortgage statement and 2-3 up to date house valuations. This is clearly not unencumbered funds, however she was certain.
I was given some very confident advice at an Immigration Fair by an official from the London Office regarding my suitability for an FSW application and what to include to ensure all went well.
I was subsequently rejected, so that showed me how much trust you should put in anyone at an Immigration Fair over here telling you what is and is not acceptable in Canada!
It wasn't the wasted time I resented, as the decision came through quickly. It was more the fact that my hopes had been falsely raised and then I was bitterly disappointed.
If in doubt in future, I am going to follow the rules as they are stated on the relevant official Canadian websites to the letter.
Some officials are accommodating and some are sticklers for the rules (- we've all come up against those here in the UK!)
I would hate anyone to be turned away at the last hurdle just because they came up against a Canadian official who played everything strictly by the book.
Old May 25th 2010, 6:41 pm
Forum Regular

princess caribou is on a distinguished road

I'm a bit confused (not hard)
On our initial app to Nova Scotia I included the amount of equity in our property as well as savings. Does this mean that I have to get property valuations even if I have enough in savings to satisfy CIC requirements for transferable funds? It's just that if our app is successful we might decide not sell our property straight away....