Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada > Immigration & Citizenship (Canada)
Reload this Page >

Proof of employment if company no longer exists for FSWP application

Proof of employment if company no longer exists for FSWP application

Old May 31st 2013, 2:45 pm
Forum Regular

melko is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Proof of employment if company no longer exists for FSWP application

I am applying for the FSWP and having problems with employment letters. I got all my ex employers and current employer, to write a letter, confirming my employment. No probs. BUT I have one employer which cant not because they are no longer in business, they dissolved the company years ago. I worked there from nov 2004 to Dec 2005. I have emailed the owner (saw his email on his web site), and said he cant write a letter because he's not trading under that name anymore, under a different company now. He wasn't very helpful in fact, when I explained the reason for such a letter and urgency. So it was a no. (maybe there's legal reasons involved?)

I have called the Tax Office (Inland Revenue) they said they can only go back the last 7 years for tax payments, to 2006/7 tax year. I called my bank, for a bank statement, they can only go back the last 4 years (to 2009). I called Company House, which has records of which companies are "active" and which are dissolved. My ex employer is on the books but they do not keep records of which employee came and went during their business life.

How the heck can I prove that I worked at this place, to gain extra points on my FSWP application? There is not mention about this on CIC.

Please help!
Old May 31st 2013, 5:46 pm
Immigration Consultant

Paul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Proof of employment if company no longer exists for FSWP application

Originally Posted by melko
I am applying for the FSWP and having problems with employment letters. I got all my ex employers and current employer, to write a letter, confirming my employment. No probs. BUT I have one employer which cant not because they are no longer in business, they dissolved the company years ago. I worked there from nov 2004 to Dec 2005. I have emailed the owner (saw his email on his web site), and said he cant write a letter because he's not trading under that name anymore, under a different company now. He wasn't very helpful in fact, when I explained the reason for such a letter and urgency. So it was a no. (maybe there's legal reasons involved?)

I have called the Tax Office (Inland Revenue) they said they can only go back the last 7 years for tax payments, to 2006/7 tax year. I called my bank, for a bank statement, they can only go back the last 4 years (to 2009). I called Company House, which has records of which companies are "active" and which are dissolved. My ex employer is on the books but they do not keep records of which employee came and went during their business life.

How the heck can I prove that I worked at this place, to gain extra points on my FSWP application? There is not mention about this on CIC.

Please help!
This is actually a common problem. The first thing to consider is if you have enough skilled work experience within the last 10 years to meet the point score without this period of employment. You're talking about a period more than 6 years ago. The maximum points you can get is for 6 years skilled experience (15 points) and if you can get those anyway then don't worry about it. Of course you need to prove your employment but for each period if you don't prove it all that will happen is you wont get points for it. And if you have the maximum anyway its all irrelevant.

If you do need to prove this period I would include pay slips if you have them, the original job offer letter the company gave you if you have it, P60s or P45 if you have them, a print-out from Companies House showing that the company is dissolved, and a letter pointing out that you cannot therefore obtain a reference letter.
Old May 31st 2013, 5:52 pm
Pondering a career change

Mikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Proof of employment if company no longer exists for FSWP application

Do you have payslips or a contract or any correspondence from that employment?
Old May 31st 2013, 7:55 pm
BE Enthusiast

Waggle has much to be proud ofWaggle has much to be proud ofWaggle has much to be proud ofWaggle has much to be proud ofWaggle has much to be proud ofWaggle has much to be proud ofWaggle has much to be proud ofWaggle has much to be proud ofWaggle has much to be proud ofWaggle has much to be proud ofWaggle has much to be proud of

I think a letter of explanation will suffice with regards meeting the completeness requirements of the application.

But CIC will not grant points for work experience without sufficient proof. That the company no longer exists is unfortunate but look at CIC's point of view, it would open the doors massively to fraud if they allowed points purely on the applicant's word that they worked there and that they can't get references because of the company's dissolvement.

I could be wrong but I also don't think payslips alone will be enough. Without a reference of the job duties they cannot correctly categorize the NOC, and therefore cannot accurately ascertain if the work experiences falls within the necessary 0, A or B categories.

Anyway, first off if you have over 67 points without this work experience, then I wouldn't even worry about it, just include a letter of explanation with your application as to why the work experience references could not be obtained for that period.

If you DO need the points then you are going to have to get something. Perhaps you could try linkedin and see if you can track down any of the managers that were working there at the time who may be able to give you a reference?

Wayne.
Old Jun 2nd 2013, 7:18 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Mikeypm
Do you have payslips or a contract or any correspondence from that employment?
No I dont have any payslips or contract, remember I left this company 8 years ago! why would I keep such documents at the time..

Also, I contacted the manager on Linked in and on his own web site. He replied on linked in, saying "the company, xxxx that employed me no longer exists" So he's a freelancer now. I replied back explaining the reason for the letter but no reply, and to be honest, I do not want to bother him again, I'm only wasting my time.

I did speak to my bank yesterday, and they said they can print off a statement going back to nov 2004-dec 2005, and would cost me £5. All transactions will be included in that period. I'll get that in a few days or a week.

Originally Posted by Waggle
Anyway, first off if you have over 67 points without this work experience, then I wouldn't even worry about it, just include a letter of explanation with your application as to why the work experience references could not be obtained for that period.
I think I have enough points without this employer. BUT it really depends on how much I earn in the IELTS test I did. I wont know until next week when I get the results. Even if I get the minimum (16 out of 24) and without this employer, I should get 68 points (according to my calculations). So just over the pass mark. But if I can get some points for this employer, it will make it easier for me (even with a low IELTS award)

So along with the reply I got from my ex manager on Linked in, a bank statement, a document from company's house to prove dis-solvency(I'll get that myself), and a letter from myself explaining the situation, that is the best I can do to resolve the problem regarding that employer. I'll still submit these documents along with everything else in my application, and will take my chances as to whether they're accepted or they're not needed if already obtained the pass mark.

Thanks to all for your help
Old Jun 2nd 2013, 9:17 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Jus another thought, but you could get a print out of your National Insurance payments?
Old Jun 2nd 2013, 9:22 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
Jus another thought, but you could get a print out of your National Insurance payments?
How do I do that? since IR only go back to 2006 and I have no payslips.
Old Jun 2nd 2013, 9:32 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

How do I do that? since IR only go back to 2006 and I have no payslips.
It's nothing to do with tax or payslips, you can request a NI statement. I'm on my phone so can't search, but a quick hunt around the forum will give you the info of who to write to to get it (as the forum search is broken, use Google but limit results to BE and you'll find relevant threads).

HTH.
Old Jun 3rd 2013, 4:57 pm
BE Enthusiast

Waggle has much to be proud ofWaggle has much to be proud ofWaggle has much to be proud ofWaggle has much to be proud ofWaggle has much to be proud ofWaggle has much to be proud ofWaggle has much to be proud ofWaggle has much to be proud ofWaggle has much to be proud ofWaggle has much to be proud ofWaggle has much to be proud of

No I dont have any payslips or contract, remember I left this company 8 years ago! why would I keep such documents at the time..

Also, I contacted the manager on Linked in and on his own web site. He replied on linked in, saying "the company, xxxx that employed me no longer exists" So he's a freelancer now. I replied back explaining the reason for the letter but no reply, and to be honest, I do not want to bother him again, I'm only wasting my time.

I did speak to my bank yesterday, and they said they can print off a statement going back to nov 2004-dec 2005, and would cost me £5. All transactions will be included in that period. I'll get that in a few days or a week.

I think I have enough points without this employer. BUT it really depends on how much I earn in the IELTS test I did. I wont know until next week when I get the results. Even if I get the minimum (16 out of 24) and without this employer, I should get 68 points (according to my calculations). So just over the pass mark. But if I can get some points for this employer, it will make it easier for me (even with a low IELTS award)

So along with the reply I got from my ex manager on Linked in, a bank statement, a document from company's house to prove dis-solvency(I'll get that myself), and a letter from myself explaining the situation, that is the best I can do to resolve the problem regarding that employer. I'll still submit these documents along with everything else in my application, and will take my chances as to whether they're accepted or they're not needed if already obtained the pass mark.

Thanks to all for your help
For the sake of £5 it would be good to include the bank payment information. I think this plus a letter of explanation for why the employer references cannot be obtained should satisfy the completeness check.

If you don't need the points for the work experience then sounds like you're good to go once you get the IELTS results.

Out of interest under which NOC are you applying? Please be aware that NOCs 1112, 2147 and 2174 are extremely popular and in all likelyhood have already reached the 300 cap each.

Wayne.
Old Jun 3rd 2013, 5:18 pm
Forum Regular

msocmac is an unknown quantity at this point

We did this with the NI contributions and it was sent through really quickly and covered every employment we had been in since age 16. This was never asked for but was worth getting just in case
Old Jun 3rd 2013, 5:29 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by msocmac
We did this with the NI contributions and it was sent through really quickly and covered every employment we had been in since age 16. This was never asked for but was worth getting just in case
Aye "just in case" is quite a good approach for an FSW application.

Bottom line is they can't / won't fail an application for including a document or some information which is not required. They certainly can / will fail an application for failing to include something which is!

Wayne.
Old Jun 7th 2013, 11:41 pm
Forum Regular

Just to give an update:
My bank wrote to me and said they couldnt provide a statement afterall, as they only go back the last 6 years. NI statement can be done as per the previous post, but the email I received from DWP said it takes several weeks.

However, I wont need to bother now as I just got my IELTS results and it seems I've got enough points to omit this employer all together! FYI, I got W=7.5 L=7.5, R=6 S=9 Overall=7.5 so thats 21/24 points I think, plus everything else gives me 72 points.

Thanks again!
Old Jun 8th 2013, 12:06 am
BE Enthusiast

Just to give an update:
My bank wrote to me and said they couldnt provide a statement afterall, as they only go back the last 6 years. NI statement can be done as per the previous post, but the email I received from DWP said it takes several weeks.

However, I wont need to bother now as I just got my IELTS results and it seems I've got enough points to omit this employer all together! FYI, I got W=7.5 L=7.5, R=6 S=9 Overall=7.5 so thats 21/24 points I think, plus everything else gives me 72 points.

Thanks again!
Good news!

Be sure though to include a letter of explanation as to why the employment reference couldn't be obtained. It makes no difference to the points but you don't want to fail the completeness check because some clerk looks at the checklist and doesn't see enough employment references.

I find it utterly ridiculous the expect references so far back. I mean let's say a 58 year old applies for FSW do they honestly expect him to get 40 years worth of employment references?

Tbh I don't see why they need references other than those which satisfy the work experience contribution to the points matrix, and the 1 year's continuous experience in the 24 in demand occupations.

Other than those since the references won't be contributing to the eligibility of the application in any way, what's the point in making the applicant get them?

Anyway, it is what it is. Good news is you have 72 points so best of luck!

Wayne.
Old Jun 9th 2013, 12:32 am
Forum Regular

Good news!

Be sure though to include a letter of explanation as to why the employment reference couldn't be obtained. It makes no difference to the points but you don't want to fail the completeness check because some clerk looks at the checklist and doesn't see enough employment references.
Yes I will that thanks

I find it utterly ridiculous the expect references so far back. I mean let's say a 58 year old applies for FSW do they honestly expect him to get 40 years worth of employment references?
Not its only the last 10 years of work you need to mention.
I think its because most employees stay at there work place for many years in Canada and the USA, because of the lack of holiday allowance, and end up accumulating their holiday over the years of service. So CIC must assume that we do the same outside Canada, and if one did stay at the same employer for many years, then one letter would be needed! But I agree its ridiculous I know!

Tbh I don't see why they need references other than those which satisfy the work experience contribution to the points matrix, and the 1 year's continuous experience in the 24 in demand occupations.

Other than those since the references won't be contributing to the eligibility of the application in any way, what's the point in making the applicant get them?
I see your point but I think its to prevent applicants making up employers and/or jobs, and fake their application. I can say I have 10 years experience as an occupational therapist , giving me the maximim 15 points, without any proof such as an employer letters or work contract.. but I could be doing that for only 1 year and only get for 9 points. The letters are there to prove the work was carried out in the time that's been mentioned on the app form

Anyway, it is what it is. Good news is you have 72 points so best of luck!

Wayne.
Thanks!!
Old Jun 10th 2013, 1:04 pm
Forum Regular

charlotte-in-limbo is an unknown quantity at this point

You could draft a letter for him and ask him to sign it. Just saying that xxx worked at xxx starting on xxx and finishing on xxx. I am no longer trading but I am writing this as proof of employment for xxxx
Simples!
Good luck.